Quarter after One by Kevin Caucher

• Site Administrator

I found it intriguing. Cliff clearly has a history, but exactly what is unknown. Having the story written in second person somehow felt appropriate -- we're observing something without actually participating (the flaw in most second-person perspective story, where the narrator has you doing something you wouldn't do).

Now, it's always possible that the Phil on the phone list is not the one who he makes the call to. What the bartender should have done is hit the phone redial to get the last number dialled, which may or may not have been the Phil in the address book.

But that's being picky :P As I said, I found it intriguing. Thanks, Kevin! :great:

We have three characters here. The narrator. The subject of the story. And a mystery man. A story based on observation. Like guessing and wondering about strangers. That is very human and interesting. Good premise and nicely done.

Thank you Graeme!

Hmm, actually never thought of that. :P

But that would have spoiled the story. How many times in our writing and watching tv have we said... oh COME ON... if only you had... or surely he would have... Don't get me started on horror movies. I mean if you lock yourself in a room/ cupboard to keep a monster/killer out who in their right mind would come out again as soon as it went quiet. EVERYONE knows the baddie is just waiting for you.

Anyway.... whatever.... I LOVED this story. It is so 'real' and told with such a delicate touch. Well done hun.... again :)

We have three characters here. The narrator. The subject of the story. And a mystery man. A story based on observation. Like guessing and wondering about strangers. That is very human and interesting. Good premise and nicely done.

Thank you Sam. I wrote this as a character study in some way. Also I labeled it 'The People Spotting Project', so yeah, it's really about watching people and guessing about them.

But that would have spoiled the story. How many times in our writing and watching tv have we said... oh COME ON... if only you had... or surely he would have... Don't get me started on horror movies. I mean if you lock yourself in a room/ cupboard to keep a monster/killer out who in their right mind would come out again as soon as it went quiet. EVERYONE knows the baddie is just waiting for you.

O well, that too. And the contact list was also part of the haunted signs.

Anyway.... whatever.... I LOVED this story. It is so 'real' and told with such a delicate touch. Well done hun.... again :)

Thank you Nephy! I should have known you like it. I remember you telling me before, no? :P

• Like 1

The ending had a great creepiness factor. It makes me wonder if Cliff was just always calling a number that no longer existed or if Phil cut the line that evening after Cliff's call. The 'people watching' aspect was fantastic, especially with Cliff's moodiness. Again, makes me wonder if the mojito days were days he saw Phil ... if Phil really exists in a real way to him ... and if the whiskey nights were nights maybe he saw Phil with someone else. So many questions. I need to go read the other two now even if this was a stand alone. :)

Good writing!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...