Favorite Vacation Spots

Do you have any vacation spots that you go to year after year and enjoy everything about it? If so, please tell us.

I have a couple of places that I have enjoyed going to over the years. Wells and Kennebunkport, Maine and The Cape (all three classic New England vacation spots). Also, the South Shore, Fire Island, and the Hamptons on Long Island. These places are all great places because of their beach culture and there is always plenty to do. Every year I looked forward to going to these places.

Finnish Lapland if you like hiking like I do!

I love the area around UKK park with all the fjelds and the wilderness around. That is the only place in the world that I get totally relaxed. There are marvelous hiking routes there and free cottages and evenquarantine saunas alongs way.

I try to get there once every year, either at early June or during fall colors.

For me it Dawson City in the Yukon Territory. I worked there long time ago. For me it is one of the most beautiful spots there is in Canada . Dawson is completelty surrounded by mountains, it's unbelievable, in the summer. The history is very cool, the people are great.

Wenatchee River Valley, Washington State. Surrounded by snow-capped mountains, glacier-fed rivers, and dirt-biking on logging roads all day long.

Big Bend National Park. Physically challenging, great hiking trails, with great wildlife and phenomenal geology.

Sweden! Definitely Sweden? Doesn't really matter where in Sweden, but Sweden is seriously a country I can recommend visiting! I've only ever been there during the summer, but it was great every single time!

But also, the south of France, Berlin, and Luxembourg (the country).

I happen to love the Great Ocean Road and the Otways National Park out west of the city. Especially in winter, when not every man and his children and his caravan and his dog is down there. It's really lovely (especially when you take some back roads in land and avoid the tourist rushes).

Otherwise i have a thing for mountains. Probably because the things we call "mountains" in Australia are just big hills. So take me to Switzerland in summer and i am in heaven! :D

Well, the only vacations I go on these days are to Ohio to see my boyfriend and I don't thik anyone in their right mind would call any part of Ohio a vacation spot. Before that though from when I was 3 or 4 up until I was about 14 me and my parents would go to Montaulk, New York out on Long Island every summer. We always stayed in the same hotel and became friends with some of the staff so it was always pretty cool. The pool guy there was actually the person that taught me how to swim and dive, lol. After we stopped going there we got an RV and would take me and my friend Tom up to Wildwood New Jersey every year. There was an awesome boardwalk with arcades and rides and stuff like that. Total wet dream for me, lol.

• Like 1

I love going down to Margret River, since we've got a house in Dunsborough.... it's soooo green down there! lol

I like Adelaide, but I've only been there for work so I actually haven't seen any of the sights though.

I would loooove to go to Greece, and Rome so I can go see the sights there. I wouldn't mind going to Vegas so I can win some money lol, but I'll probably be going there in a few years. I would like to travel all around Australia, not just for work (as we do each year), but to just drive around and see all the small towns, either that or take a train lol

Edited by Bumblebee

Well, the only vacations I go on these days are to Ohio to see my boyfriend and I don't thik anyone in their right mind would call any part of Ohio a vacation spot. Before that though from when I was 3 or 4 up until I was about 14 me and my parents would go to Montaulk, New York out on Long Island every summer. We always stayed in the same hotel and became friends with some of the staff so it was always pretty cool. The pool guy there was actually the person that taught me how to swim and dive, lol. After we stopped going there we got an RV and would take me and my friend Tom up to Wildwood New Jersey every year. There was an awesome boardwalk with arcades and rides and stuff like that. Total wet dream for me, lol.

I'm jealous.

• 1 month later...

Well I was born and raised on Long Island so have done Fire Island, the Hamptons and NYC. I also try to go some where new every year. The one thing I always ask of my friends is to send me a post card from wherever they go on vacation. I keep them and then when I want inspiration I look at their postcards and see what is in that area. It is how I have found some great little spots to visit while up in Maine, out Indiana, and down in Texas. :2thumbs:

My favorite place in all of North America is The Thousand Islands. Specifically, Heart Island.

It's not far from Niagara Falls, just farther east, up the St. Lawrence, near Alexandria. There is an island, just four acres in size, much of it covered by a castle in the Scottish style. George Boldt, the man who owned the Waldorf-Astoria hotel, built a summer home there and just as it was being completed, his wife died. The castle was never lived in.

Eventually, the man who owned Life Savers candies bought the island and allowed tourists to take whatever they wanted out of the place, including several tons of various metals during the second world war. By 1975, when I first photographed the ruins, the castle was nothing but a stone shell with a crumbling roof. Today, however, it is preserved and being restored. The story of the castle is inextricably linked to our everyday lives in many ways, making it a vital piece of history, warranting its protection.

Room-service, the Chef Salad, Thousand Island Dressing, Life Savers candies, the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, and the Vanderbilt family, these are all part of our American history and all linked together like the stones on the castle itself. All of those things played a role in making the castle and history. It's worth checking into.

I added a photo of the place in my gallery:

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/gallery/album/328-tipdins-place/

Edited by Tipdin