Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

St. Vincent

Still the burning body of Travers is on my mind. We look at George and think how great it would to be him. Handsome brave sailing around the world but we forget that what he does is very dangerous. This could have been George dead burning on the deck of the sinking ship. George has been very lucky so far. It only takes one wrong move. Adventure and danger around very corner. I think George needs both adventure and love. Hopefully, his skill and luck will not desert him.

Edited by rjo

As usual Mark has done it again! Out of the great loss of Travers some good may come. George has a new purpose in life, showing what Travers was a hero. George has a new helper who he can lean on. They will be good for each other and maybe provide and support each other during the dark times ahead. Honestly, I feel better about George now. He will make it over this loss. I wondered if he would. Mark likes happy endings. So I should have known.

:2hands: :2hands: :2hands:

I just knew that Travers would speak from beyond the dead with either a letter or a will or something. I knew that he would reach out to Granger in someway to try and ease his pain and let him know how much Travers loved and respected him. Even with the difference in their stations, I think that Travers was Grangers first soul mate, yes, I think you can have more than one...

I agree with the previous post that Granger will do what he has to so that Travers will get his due as a hero, as he was one. Granger will make sure that Travers is not forgotten and unmourned by others.

Travers has given Granger a task with the new midshipman as well, and I am sure that Granger will rise up to the task in all ways. Just as Travers was his mentor he can now be that for someone else.

I have to wonder if there is a will and what it will say about the disposition of Travers estate, it may not be large but I know Travers did not leave anything to his traitor father... I wonder if Granger will ever met that man that doesn't deserve to have a son as wonderful and John Travers...

Mark's writing just is wonderful. He is able to convey so many levels and nuances that I find myself reading each chapter a couple of times to find all the meaning and depth in them. As always, keep up the great work Mark....

I am sorry Mr Arbour, but I am expected out to dinner in the next 30 minutes, and here I am awash with tears with eyes that look like cherry tomatoes....... You write inhumanly well........

• Like 1

That was a very touching chapter and I think it lay the foundation of Granger's healing. I liked that Travers was not aware of Granger's changing feelings or confusion, whichever it is he went through, and that he left Granger with a mission. This way George can meaningfully do Travers' will after his death and maybe that'll help him grapple with his loss. Also, Darby is that one person Granger was thinking he didn't have - a person he can share his grief with and know that the other person understands the magnitude of that loss. :)

Also - there was another letter implied. I wonder if we'll get to read that one. The one Travers had just posted before all this happened...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope you all enjoyed Chapter 5. Thanks for the reviews!

This last chapter continued to amaze! Our beloved Captain, always the brilliant strategist, seemed to understand how to help Darby maneuver the dangerous shoals of grief. I would venture George was so focused on this task to honour his late beloved, as well as, still lost in his own grief, that he didn't see that he as Captain/Saviour/link to Travers would naturally become Darby's new 'idol'. It makes sense, given his own emotional turmoil, that he would not anticipate this transistion, but I wonder why it so upset him. Is he afraid to love again because he is still in mourning? Is he afraid of hurting him,,,or being hurt? Is there some sense that while both noble, Darby is a bit more noble?!? I personally love how the story is developing. Realistic history, moving well-written characters facing natural challenges of life and death, and great dramatic tension that does not devolve into operatic conventions. Thanks Mark, this is a wonderful continuation of a fascinating series...

gj

• Like 1

Well loved the newest chapter of St. Vincent, I think even though this story in the Bridgemont saga started with tragedy; it may prove to be a real catharsis for Granger and lead him to his destiny.

I loved how Granger handled things with Darby, but I do agree that Darby switching his focus so suddenly might cause Granger a moment of worry. While I think that Granger and Darby may become quite close during this story, I don't believe that Darby is the man that Granger will ultimately end up with. I wonder if we will met that man during the course of this story in the series. :unsure:

I really believe that the man that Granger will end up with is still to come. He will have to have some social position, be in the navy, and be pretty much an Alpha male. He will be a man that can take charge and challenge Granger to not just be a better person but a better man as well. He will be a man that can take charge and give Granger someone to look in the eye and know it was meant to be. Wait, am I describing who Granger will end up with or who I want to end up with??? :devil:

Keep up the good work, I know because of the authenticity that you try to bring to this series that the writing takes longer but you are doing a great job Mark.

• Like 1

Hope you all enjoyed Chapter 5. Thanks for the reviews!

I have a simple question...would iron tanks be all right to hold water for a long period of time? I would think there would be problem with rust after a while. Now if they could figure out how to galvanize the iron (can they do that?) it might work. Maybe if the tanks were tightly closed there wouldn't be any rust. Or lined with copper... :unsure:

I see the Granger has a new squeeze...one of these times it's going to come back to him, I think. I hope not, I hope not indeed, but knowing a little about human behavior (being human myself) :blink: , I'm worried one of these young immature men is going to get jealous and have a hissy fit as only young immature men are wont to do... :boy: :boy: :boy: I don't blame Granger at all, but his neck is stuck out there a piece.

Another great chapter non the less!

• Like 1

I have a simple question...would iron tanks be all right to hold water for a long period of time? I would think there would be problem with rust after a while. Now if they could figure out how to galvanize the iron (can they do that?) it might work. Maybe if the tanks were tightly closed there wouldn't be any rust. Or lined with copper... :unsure:

I think the iron would largely be alright as long as the water is fresh, but I don't know. Introducing them here, at this timeframe, is really a stretch. They were originally tested on two prototype sloops in 1796, so they existed. They didn't find widespread use in the RN until the War of 1812 and afterwards. One of the biggest benefits came from the ability of the tanks to be crafted to conform to the bottom of the ship, and to create their own stable platform to pile stores on top of. Prior to that (as it is in Granger's time), the casks had to have a base, so they used iron shingles for ballast. Imagine what that must have been like: iron shingles at the bottom of the ship, with bilge water mixed in. Must have reeked! After the iron tanks were fitted, no more iron shingles were needed, and ships became a lot cleaner.

Boat davits were another stretch, but less so. The Admiralty actually issued directives banning them from the stern in fear that the stress of the weight would damage the stern of the ship. By the early 1800's, they were standard fare. Cochrane was one of their pioneers, and had special boats built for all of his cutting out and raiding escapades.

I see the Granger has a new squeeze...one of these times it's going to come back to him, I think. I hope not, I hope not indeed, but knowing a little about human behavior (being human myself) :blink: , I'm worried one of these young immature men is going to get jealous and have a hissy fit as only young immature men are wont to do... :boy: :boy: :boy: I don't blame Granger at all, but his neck is stuck out there a piece.

Another great chapter non the less!

For an example of this, wander over to my other saga and read "Poor Man's Son." :D

I think the iron would largely be alright as long as the water is fresh, but I don't know. Introducing them here, at this timeframe, is really a stretch. They were originally tested on two prototype sloops in 1796, so they existed. They didn't find widespread use in the RN until the War of 1812 and afterwards. One of the biggest benefits came from the ability of the tanks to be crafted to conform to the bottom of the ship, and to create their own stable platform to pile stores on top of. Prior to that (as it is in Granger's time), the casks had to have a base, so they used iron shingles for ballast. Imagine what that must have been like: iron shingles at the bottom of the ship, with bilge water mixed in. Must have reeked! After the iron tanks were fitted, no more iron shingles were needed, and ships became a lot cleaner.

Boat davits were another stretch, but less so. The Admiralty actually issued directives banning them from the stern in fear that the stress of the weight would damage the stern of the ship. By the early 1800's, they were standard fare. Cochrane was one of their pioneers, and had special boats built for all of his cutting out and raiding escapades.

For an example of this, wander over to my other saga and read "Poor Man's Son." :D

Oh, Yes!!! I've been keeping up with that one too! Kinda triggered my response here, I guess! I'm lovin' it, although I don't know how the mind of teenagers work anymore now than when I was one! :wacko: :boy:
  • Like 1

Well I really enjoyed this chapter immensely. I really enjoy the timeframe that St Vincent and the Bridgemont series takes place in. I think that Mark is able to capture so much of the era in a wonderfully intimate way without giving up that level of authenticity that those of us that are history buffs so enjoy.

Well, it looks like Mr Darby did come back to bite Sir George, at least in a way. I sort of hope that we haven't seen the last of him, because I do think part of the problem was as Granger suspected; their involvment so soon after Travers death. I think they both needed each other to heal but that Darby because of his lack of maturity just didn't handle the situation as well as Granger did.

I am glad to see Granger and Nelson back working together. Granger always gets up to the most interesting situations when he gets moved into a fleet of ships with Nelson in command. I really like how he handled the Committe of 30.

I look forward to the next chapter with much anticipation and longing.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I so enjoyed this chapter of St. Vincent. It was a nice Easter gift.

I really do think that writing in this series is among the best on gay authors, period. Mark's research and attention to detail makes this story so historically accurate and yet compellingly enjoyable. I love the interplay between Granger and Nelson and even between Granger and Miller. I really do think that Granger maybe Mark's most completely developed creation.

I am excitted to have Iggy back, even for a short while, I wonder if his whatever that tried to slit Granger's throat last time, will be traveling with him... Will be interested to see if Iggy has the same marks on his wrist that Granger does??? Plus, Granger will at least get to spend a little time on land when he gets Iggy back to London.

I think that Granger is wonderful for taking time to try and help Perkins. I realize that Granger understands that he is attracted to Perkins but at the same time he understands that Perkins suffered in the past and needs help. Most people in Granger's position would not be like that, they would only be out for themselves or to see if they could use the situtation to their advantage.

I can't wait for the next chapter of this story....

• Like 1

I loved this chapter... I really am enjoying this story. I love how Mark is able to bring the story to life and I almost feel as if I am in the past experiencing these things with Granger.

I am sort of sorry that we won't have Iggy around but I have to wonder about Brigadier Lord Charley. I wonder if he is going to be the one to replace Travers. Even though Granger seems to enjoying being on top ever so often, I really do believe that he is more of a bottom or even submissive naturally, when it comes to male on male sex. He is very take charge in life but I just believe that his true nature is to be submissive with a truly alpha male, which I sort of wonder if Brigadier Lord Chartley isn't Alpha with a capitol A... I really do think that Granger will end up with a man that can sexually put him in his place. This new additiona might be the one, although having him in the army, would be hard to take... LOL...

Keep this story coming Mark, I think it is the best one you are working on right now... LOL...

Normaly I find myself at odds with fiction set in the past as I know whats coming as it has to follow certain set frameworks in recorded history. I've yet to feel that with any of the Granger stories, and when I think how can the quality be kept so consistent for so long you manage chapter after chapter. I certainly needed a revision break so thank you, I also got a laugh from it to, just as the cabin scene was going to start my laptop died and had to recharge it....

• Like 1

How many men are fortunate enough to find the true lovers that George has? I'm including his sweet Caroline here as well. Not many I would imagine.

As Travers mentioned in his letter, George has a monumental capacity for loving. He truly is blessed. Obviously, that says a great deal about the kind of man George is.

I am not at all convinced that George needs or even wants to find "the love of his life". The very nature of his career and his marriage essentially prevent that. He'll love them as they come, so to speak. :D

• Like 1

How many men are fortunate enough to find the true lovers that George has? I'm including his sweet Caroline here as well. Not many I would imagine.

As Travers mentioned in his letter, George has a monumental capacity for loving. He truly is blessed. Obviously, that says a great deal about the kind of man George is.

I am not at all convinced that George needs or even wants to find "the love of his life". The very nature of his career and his marriage essentially prevent that. He'll love them as they come, so to speak. :D

I don't think that George will ever be a one person kinda guy, so to speak; but I do think he always seems to have one man in his life that is more important that the rest at the time. I just think he needs that one person, besides Caroline, that is his rock.

So to speak. You're hilarious :lmao:

I don't think that George will ever be a one person kinda guy, so to speak; but I do think he always seems to have one man in his life that is more important that the rest at the time. I just think he needs that one person, besides Caroline, that is his rock.

I think he needs one person at a time, or one man at a time. Notice how he goes through these periods when he doesn't have a man and he seems a bit like a ship without a rudder? I think you're right, in that he would have a hard time just being with one guy. God help him when peace finally rolls around. But he seems to migrate to relationships. I see George as someone who likes being in love, and the sensations that come from the emotion itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved chapter 9 of St Vincent. I am amazed at how well Mark is able to capture the feel of battle and the detail of warfare from so long ago. I just really believe that Mark's writing on the Bridgemont series is exceptional.

Just when I thought that Granger might suffer his first defeat, Mother Nature decides to intervene. I am sure that with the next chapter, Granger will complete yet another victory. I just hope that he cost isn't too high.

I wish we knew what the issue was with Lord Chartley. There has to be a reason that he is acting this way that we aren't aware of. Granger is on the same social level and almost on the same level militarily, so it can't be just annoyance at having to deal with a lesser personage. I wonder if there is something in the past that Granger either doesn't remember or isn't aware of. I think Lord Chartley may turn out to be a very important person in Grangers life, just a feeling.

As always, great job Mark, and can't wait for the next chapter of this amazing story...

• Like 1

I loved chapter 9 of St Vincent. I am amazed at how well Mark is able to capture the feel of battle and the detail of warfare from so long ago. I just really believe that Mark's writing on the Bridgemont series is exceptional.

Just when I thought that Granger might suffer his first defeat, Mother Nature decides to intervene. I am sure that with the next chapter, Granger will complete yet another victory. I just hope that he cost isn't too high.

I wish we knew what the issue was with Lord Chartley. There has to be a reason that he is acting this way that we aren't aware of. Granger is on the same social level and almost on the same level militarily, so it can't be just annoyance at having to deal with a lesser personage. I wonder if there is something in the past that Granger either doesn't remember or isn't aware of. I think Lord Chartley may turn out to be a very important person in Grangers life, just a feeling.

As always, great job Mark, and can't wait for the next chapter of this amazing story...

Regarding Chartley.

Tis a remarkable chapter to an enthralling story! It is amazing to see George continue to grow through the challenges of life, relationships, and life at sea. Thanks Mark for continuing this story. You noted it may be slower, but it show to be well worth the wait. Thank you...

RE: Chartley, some note he may prove to be important, which may be true, but he sure seems that it ain't no Mizzen-Mast up that tight British Arse, but a full Main-Mast!! It would take a bit to get me to begin to care for such a prick, but who knows how this fascinating tale will develop!

gj

Dang! I don't like cliffhangers...dang it! I've decided that it's going to be a Spaniard frigate that's going to show up in the nick of time and save them! I mean, Spain owes Granger a whole lot, don't they? This is a great time for them to repay some of his help. That's my theory anyway! Back me up here, Mark... :unsure:

Dang! I don't like cliffhangers...dang it! I've decided that it's going to be a Spaniard frigate that's going to show up in the nick of time and save them! I mean, Spain owes Granger a whole lot, don't they? This is a great time for them to repay some of his help. That's my theory anyway! Back me up here, Mark... :unsure:

Well, even with some of them do owe Granger, with England and Spain at war; I am not sure they wouldn't still be forced to take Granger and his crew captive. Now, once he gets to land, his Spainish connections might be able to help but...

I rather think that once there is any wind Granger's ship becomes much more manuverable than the xebec and that more than anything will turn the tide. I rather like to think that Granger will be master of his own fate.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..