Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

St. Vincent

George has remarkable luck. I think it really is both luck and skill. I think he will pull it out again. If not this would be the end of the story. I have great faith in Mark bringing us to the edge but saving George in the end. I wonder if George could return to wife and country and be the country gentleman? I think he would go nuts, he needs the sea the adventure, it's in his soul. torn between home and sea. Always wanting the place he is not. We are starting to see the danger he lives with every time he is out to sea. One thing I like about him is he is brave, smart, and very skilled. Hopefully that will serve him well.Thanks Mark for another outstanding chapter.

George has remarkable luck. I think it really is both luck and skill. I think he will pull it out again. If not this would be the end of the story. I have great faith in Mark bringing us to the edge but saving George in the end. I wonder if George could return to wife and country and be the country gentleman? I think he would go nuts, he needs the sea the adventure, it's in his soul. torn between home and sea. Always wanting the place he is not. We are starting to see the danger he lives with every time he is out to sea. One thing I like about him is he is brave, smart, and very skilled. Hopefully that will serve him well.Thanks Mark for another outstanding chapter.

Well, I agree that Granger will always have that love of the sea; but I could see him doing something else as well. Granger was raised with the idea of honor and duty and if they came to him and said, " Your country needs you to be a spy, an emissary, or an ambassador"; I don't think he could really say no. I think Granger will always have that need for adventure and need for that next thrill but I could see him finding it in other places as well. That being said, I could also easily see Granger retiring at 70 after being an Admiral for 40 years.

I just can't wait to see where Mark takes us on his exploration of this thrilling and chilling story of adventure, lust, and love...

• Like 1

I have gone back and read this story again up to the current chapter and I am really convinced that Lord Chartley is going to play a major role in Granger's life. I don't know why but there is something of the same feeling that I had when Granger and Travers first met in the interaction between Granger and Chartley, a certain unexplained delicious tension.

I have been reading up on the naval encounters of this era since the Bridgemont series started and piqued my curiosity. From what I can find out, xebecs usually carried a crew of 300 to 400 on each ship. This seems to be many more than the xebecs in this and the last story in this series. Are the xebecs referred to in this story a specific type of xebec? Just wanting to do some research but everything I am reading is pointing to a much larger ship than this story indicates. I can tell that there are different classes of xebecs but nothing seems to be as small as indicated... Can you provide feedback?

I have gone back and read this story again up to the current chapter and I am really convinced that Lord Chartley is going to play a major role in Granger's life. I don't know why but there is something of the same feeling that I had when Granger and Travers first met in the interaction between Granger and Chartley, a certain unexplained delicious tension.

I have been reading up on the naval encounters of this era since the Bridgemont series started and piqued my curiosity. From what I can find out, xebecs usually carried a crew of 300 to 400 on each ship. This seems to be many more than the xebecs in this and the last story in this series. Are the xebecs referred to in this story a specific type of xebec? Just wanting to do some research but everything I am reading is pointing to a much larger ship than this story indicates. I can tell that there are different classes of xebecs but nothing seems to be as small as indicated... Can you provide feedback?

I posted a new chapter. Happy Memorial Day to US readers!

When I researched xebecs, I found it to be a very generic term, and as you noted, there were large ones, small ones, and all sizes in between. (Kind of like dicks Posted Image). I've chosen to assume the ships we encounter in this story are of the smaller type.

So I haven't started reading this one - part of me would like to wait for you to finish it but let's be realistic, I probably read all the chapters before the day is over. Anyway, while reading the last book, I - being the closet nerd I am - began to research a bit. Sir John Jervis, First Earl of St. Vincent. After the less than crucial or decisive battle of St. Vincent in which Nelson was the real hero - received the Title First Earl of St. Vincent for his leading the fleet to a minor victory at a time when England was starved for a good news in the war.

I always liked how you portrayed Jervis in the other books, but part of me thought you might be fibbing. But if history is any guide, you seem to have him down well. Now I am interested to see where this one goes. Damn you Mark Arbour, as if I don't have enough things to look forward to :P

Andy

So I haven't started reading this one - part of me would like to wait for you to finish it but let's be realistic, I probably read all the chapters before the day is over. Anyway, while reading the last book, I - being the closet nerd I am - began to research a bit. Sir John Jervis, First Earl of St. Vincent. After the less than crucial or decisive battle of St. Vincent in which Nelson was the real hero - received the Title First Earl of St. Vincent for his leading the fleet to a minor victory at a time when England was starved for a good news in the war.

I always liked how you portrayed Jervis in the other books, but part of me thought you might be fibbing. But if history is any guide, you seem to have him down well. Now I am interested to see where this one goes. Damn you Mark Arbour, as if I don't have enough things to look forward to :P

Andy

Well, accuracy I guess is a relative term, but I certainly enjoy Mark's portrayals here

BTW - if then, we take it that this story culminates in the Battle of Cape St vincent, then I guess it covers only 4 more months..... (in story time)..... I guess we have much more to see than that and St Vincent is a major event rather than a culmination....

Well, just got back home from a few days of vacation to find a new chapter of St Vincent, and what a delight it was... I love the fact that Granger realizes how lucky he was that the wind returned and doesn't just believe that he can do no wrong. I also like the fact that Granger seems to take a few minutes to interact with the regular crew, although I would suspect this rarely happened in the British navy of the time.

Well I am even more interested in Lord Chartley after Mark's description in the sick room, I know, I am bad... I really do feel that this is a person that maybe very important to Granger in the long run. I don't know why I have that feeling but I do. Now, he might be someone that just effects the rest of Granger's life after being in it a short while; or could he be the one? Hmmm, well only Mark will know for certain.

I have to wonder what Freddie could have done that will be as bad as I think this is going to be. I have always wondered if something wasn't going to happen so that in the end Granger would end up with the title. Freddie and Bertie would both have to be removed for that to happen but stranger things have occured in the Arbour universe. I have always liked Bertie more than Freddie, yes even when he was a drunk lecher; I just never trusted Freddie, he seemed to be wound a little to tight.

Can't wait for the next chapter, keep up the outstanding performance, Mark....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this latest chapter of St Vincent was really telling for me. I have never been overtly fond of Freddie and the fact that either he is doing this or has allowed his wife to convice him to do this damns him in my eyes... I have never understood how family can turn on family, although it has happened to me. Bertie finally is trying to support and help the family that he caused so many problems for only to be betrayed by them now...

I think that Granger will stop this but from a distance. He will send messages to Caroline and the Earl and that will have somewhat the same effect as if he was there himself. I am torn about whether Lord Chartley should proceed to London without George or stay aboard and continue to recover. I really do think that Lord Chartley could prove to be very important in George's life for a long time; or maybe that is just my fantasy involving men in red uniforms... LOL...

I think that Caroline will have to destroy Davina to stop her for ruining the family; that is going to be a cat fight that I can't wait to witness. I don't think that Freddie will ever be able to stand up to his wife because of her father, so it will be up to the rest of the family to take action.

I know it won't happen but I think that Mark should do at least two chapters of St Vincent or maybe even three for every new chapter of Poor Man's Son...

Well, this latest chapter of St Vincent was really telling for me. I have never been overtly fond of Freddie and the fact that either he is doing this or has allowed his wife to convice him to do this damns him in my eyes... I have never understood how family can turn on family, although it has happened to me. Bertie finally is trying to support and help the family that he caused so many problems for only to be betrayed by them now...

I think that Granger will stop this but from a distance. He will send messages to Caroline and the Earl and that will have somewhat the same effect as if he was there himself. I am torn about whether Lord Chartley should proceed to London without George or stay aboard and continue to recover. I really do think that Lord Chartley could prove to be very important in George's life for a long time; or maybe that is just my fantasy involving men in red uniforms... LOL...

I think that Caroline will have to destroy Davina to stop her for ruining the family; that is going to be a cat fight that I can't wait to witness. I don't think that Freddie will ever be able to stand up to his wife because of her father, so it will be up to the rest of the family to take action.

I know it won't happen but I think that Mark should do at least two chapters of St Vincent or maybe even three for every new chapter of Poor Man's Son...

I understand how you feel, but I think that Freddie has some strong bases to rationalize his actions. In his mind (and that era), family was first and foremost. You were supposed to do anything you could to advance the family, and the family was supposed to everything possible to advance its members. In Freddie's case, I think he is challenged when it comes to giving back to the others. In any event, it's a pretty low thing to do, to steal money from your brother. I'm excited to write the ultimate confrontation between George, Freddie, and the Earl.

• 2 weeks later...

The new chapter of St Vincent was great... I just love how Mark is able to take the story and deftly guide it to keep us all on the edge of our seats to see where it goes next. Mark's ability to draw us into a world so far in the past is amazing.

I really do believe that Lord Chartley is going to continue to play an important part in Granger's life. I am not sure yet in what capacity but he is the only man since Travers that I believe Granger might give up control to. While Travers was far below Granger in the social order, Chartley is his equal or even a little bit higher. I don't know why I have such a feeling about them being together, there is just that undefinable something to even their briefest encounters.

I am really suprised that Calvert would be so public. He is endangering not only himself but Granger and those close to him as well. In that time, you simply could not be caught engaging in that type of activity and hope to survive the scandal. I could see Granger knowing how close Calvert and the unknown Lt were but for Captain Somers to make a comment it must have been pretty blatant behaviour.

Oh my god, I just don't know if I can wait another ten days to get another chapter...

• Like 1

The new chapter of St Vincent was great... I just love how Mark is able to take the story and deftly guide it to keep us all on the edge of our seats to see where it goes next. Mark's ability to draw us into a world so far in the past is amazing.

I really do believe that Lord Chartley is going to continue to play an important part in Granger's life. I am not sure yet in what capacity but he is the only man since Travers that I believe Granger might give up control to. While Travers was far below Granger in the social order, Chartley is his equal or even a little bit higher. I don't know why I have such a feeling about them being together, there is just that undefinable something to even their briefest encounters.

I am really suprised that Calvert would be so public. He is endangering not only himself but Granger and those close to him as well. In that time, you simply could not be caught engaging in that type of activity and hope to survive the scandal. I could see Granger knowing how close Calvert and the unknown Lt were but for Captain Somers to make a comment it must have been pretty blatant behaviour.

Oh my god, I just don't know if I can wait another ten days to get another chapter...

Regarding the first paragraph: Thanks!

Regarding the rest of your post: Astute observations.

Posted Image

It feels like weeks since the last chapter... " sigh "

Languishing in a sea of desolation awaiting the next chapter...

Moored in a harbour of discontent, until the story continues...

Floundering away on the deck of misery until Granger is with us again...

It feels like weeks since the last chapter... " sigh "

Languishing in a sea of desolation awaiting the next chapter...

Moored in a harbour of discontent, until the story continues...

Floundering away on the deck of misery until Granger is with us again...

A post with such flourish!

I've got Granger on a 10 day cycle. These stories are harder to write, and take longer, because I try to work them into the history of the time. That being said, the next chapter will be ready by then.

A post with such flourish!

I've got Granger on a 10 day cycle. These stories are harder to write, and take longer, because I try to work them into the history of the time. That being said, the next chapter will be ready by then.

Greatness takes time and I do allow for that, just missing Granger... Will wait with breathless anticipation...

Well, if I knew where to send them someone would be getting a dozen naked dancing men....

I so loved this latest chapter of St Vincent. I admired the way that Granger handled Calvert and managed to get him to see how his behaviour would reflect on not just him but those around him as well. Calvert's behaviour and lack of control is why I have never thought he would be the one that Granger ends up with in the end. Granger always has to take the lead and see to things with him and that would never really work.

I am going to miss Lord Chartley but I am sure that we will be seeing more of him in the future. I know from what Mark has hinted that Granger and Chartley are going to share more than they already have...

This was an unbelievable treat and I sincerly thank you for your extrodinary service to my sanity, Mark......

• Like 2

I do love breathless men. Posted Image How about a twofer for Summer.

:D I too am breathless...probably not a good thing for someone my age, but what the hell...wasn't this a good chapter??? I was waiting for Granger to rip that lieutenant a new one, but I guess we'll have to leave it up to Calvert.
  • Like 1

Oh Mark and THAT would never happen. And tell me, ever smoke a cigar in Clinton's office? :nuke:

Eeeeeeeew! :blink:

There is a certain trusted relationship between the two. The silence that is never spoken. And a good bottle of Brandy could loosen that up and strengthen the silent bond between the two of them. They've been together a long time and lets not forget the limp that he has overlooked for so many years. And he is more than a maid. On land that may have been the case but they are at sea in very cramped quarters and he knows all and has stuck by him and kept his confidences. No, he is more than a maid. He is the trustworthy confidant that needs a raise by the way. Hush money if nothing else. Maybe a bonus? Or a bone ass?

Maybe he could come up with some fresh fruit that would stir something of gratitude in the old stud to make him throw him a bone. Or better yet, throw him THEE bone. :music:

Just my thoughts.

And hey! WTF happened to Ranger? Surely he could have been in the last battle. I mean intruders in his domain? Let's not create characters without a part. Besides keeping the rat population down they were often a great food source during tough times. that's why you often saw sea dogs with three legs. (You never eat a resource like that in one sitting.)

:D I too am breathless...probably not a good thing for someone my age, but what the hell...wasn't this a good chapter??? I was waiting for Granger to rip that lieutenant a new one, but I guess we'll have to leave it up to Calvert.

Sure it's not COPD? lol and hey, I agree. I think the lt will be a problem. He has the feel that he is going to be more than a spurned lover. I mean he could make out a bugger report. Calvery could be hanged! I think he needs to have one of those, "Man overboard" accidents just after he is basted with fish pasted in shark infested waters.

Well, if I knew where to send them someone would be getting a dozen naked dancing men....

Here! They go here! Mark is too busy to appreciate them. "I" on the other had could spend quite some time enjoying each morsel. And besides, I handle ALL Marks lite work and a dozen just wouldn't be much of a challenge for him, I mean he has that for lunch daily.

Someday maybe he'll let me handle his heavy job. :blink: One can only dream right? :wacko: Until then, bring on the dancing men :music: and let the lecherous all watch in envy. :great:

I'll teach them the bucket method of safe sex. You stand them on a bucket while you have your way with them and when you see :wacko: their eyes roll back in their heads you kick the bucket out from under them. Ya, baby, that's how we used to do it in the old days. Of course it was always a challenge to get the goat to stand on a bucket! :blink:

Sure it's not COPD? lol and hey, I agree. I think the lt will be a problem. He has the feel that he is going to be more than a spurned lover. I mean he could make out a bugger report. Calvery could be hanged! I think he needs to have one of those, "Man overboard" accidents just after he is basted with fish pasted in shark infested waters.

I agree, Calvert needs to be the one to deal with his Lt... Granger could have done something since he was disrespectful to him as a superior officer but part of that was the fact that Calvert had let the Lt get that familiar with him. The fact that Calvert and the Lt were so obviously involved allowed the Lt to believe he could take such liberties. This is a mess of Calvert's own making and he is the one that has to clean it up... That is one of the issues that I have always had with Calvert, he allows his heart and emotions to overrun his head. In the British navy of that time, that would never have been a good idea...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..