Amy Winehouse is dead...

"All addicts, regardless of the substance or their social status share a consistent and obvious symptom; they're not quite present when you talk to them. They communicate to you through a barely discernible but un-ignorable veil. Whether a homeless smack head troubling you for 50p for a cup of tea or a coked-up, pinstriped exec foaming off about his ‘speedboat' there is a toxic aura that prevents connection. They have about them the air of elsewhere, that they're looking through you to somewhere else they'd rather be. And of course they are. The priority of any addict is to anaesthetise the pain of living to ease the passage of the day with some purchased relief.

Whether this tragedy was preventable or not is now irrelevant. It is not preventable today. We have lost a beautiful and talented woman to this disease. Not all addicts have Amy's incredible talent. Or Kurt's or Jimi's or Janis's; some people just get the affliction. All we can do is adapt the way we view this condition, not as a crime or a romantic affectation but as a disease that will kill."

It's what Russell Brand said regarding her death. I never listened to her music, but it is a shame she died.

Edited by Arpeggio
  • Like 1

I'm still a listener and buyer of vinyl records and I have had "Back To Black" on vinyl, unopened, sitting in the "to be played" pile for a number of years now. This last weekend, with the tragic news, I finally played it to see what the the original buzz was all about.

I should have left it sealed, or better, in the record store bin. Sonically, it sounded thin and compressed - no surprise there - but I expected to find a song or two I liked as much as "Rehab". Nope.

It reminds me of when I finally read "Catch-22" in the late 1970s. I kept going, "What did people see in this book?" I just didn't get it.

Some art is a work of its time and seems trivial later on. The movie version of "Jesus Christ Superstar" is almost unwatchable now. It took a timeless story and turned it into a flash in the pan. If you owned a Salvador Dali, I hope you sold it forty years ago. You would have made the most money then, and not just because his work has been so heavily forged. Melted clocks just aren't as fashionable now as they were in the trippy 1970s.

Amy Winehouse was a pop singer perfect for 2007. Nothing more. I'm certainly sorry she passed away but she doesn't deserve to be enshrined as a rock 'n' roll legend.

Gosh, I wonder who's next.

Posted Image

Bwahahahaha! I don't reckon Lady Gaga would die of substance abuse. She'd probably suffocate inside her rebirth egg - the one she pulled out in the grammy's. Or die of Miss Piggy unleashing her wrath for Gaga exploiting her beloved Kermit. :-)

I hated that she died, and that I found out late. Sure she did drugs, the reason why I thought she wouldn't die because ....she Amy freaking Winehouse come on. I can't listen to her songs without crying. R.I.P.

Now Lady Gaga, if she died I'd pay 800 bucks for her funeral. Any I'd be heart broken.