Whydo so many people hate twilight?

Honestly, I tried to like it. I really tried. I approached it with an open mind and swore I would judge it on its own merits. But, once I had got over the ideas of sparkling vampires, vegetarian vampires (who only eat the blood of animals) and the shock of meeting Edward Cullen in general, it was Bella's incessant whining that really got under my skin and made me dislike it. On the other hand, the author has done a good job to create a character who makes the reader actually feel something about her characters. so in this respect, I have to admire her nonetheless.

Now, if only Edward could renounce vegetarianism, Bella may just become a bit less whiny and a bit more wary of him.

Edited by RobsWriting
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh gosh, this.  There are just so many things wrong with the entirety of this so called 'best seller'.  It romanticizes a highly abusive and controlling relation ship, the characters are two dimensional to the point that if they turned sideways they'd just disappear and it doesn't even stay true to it's own damn mythology.  If Edward is 'dead' why can he still produce sperm in which to impregnate Bella?  If she was honestly so special why is it not explored more to give Bella character development?  The entire Cullen family is there just so Edward can have an-albeit weak-back story and Bella barely HAS a family that seems to acknowledge that something seems WRONG with this awkwardly pale teen that is following their daughter around far too closely.

I don't listen to people, I read what I want ! :P  I love the Harry Potter-books, I read and re-read them too. I've read Twilight books too and I liked them :yes: 
Not to fond of the movies though :puke:  :pinch:

I don't listen to people, I read what I want !  :P  I love the Harry Potter-books, I read and re-read them too. I've read Twilight books too and I liked them :yes: 

Not to fond of the movies though :puke:  :pinch:

I did like the first twilight book, up until the point where so many words were being repeated that my brain was substituting some of the words. And then I realised that I have to put myself in the place of a lustful-pubescent teenager and a vegan vampire for me to actually enjoyed the book. I first read Twilight back in 2006 when not many people knew who Bella Swan is.

In comparison to when I read Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, the writing style wasn't that praiseworthy either. It took until the third book of J.K.Rowling to realise that her writing style has improved vastly and the character development has flourished through the years.

However, when New Moon came out, I was ecstatic and was expecting that the book would be better because it had great potential (In all honesty, the book had great potential) but, faltered to reach a level of depth that you'd expect from readers who eventually grew up a year older or two.

But in reality, for example: let's say I was 15 when I read the Twilight, and I was 17 when New Moon came out. The problem would be is that the writer expects me to think like a 15 year old, whereas, my mind has matured incrementally within the 2 years span. I'm not saying that it applies to everyone but that's the whole notion right.

That's why a lot of people appreciated the Harry Potter series because, young and old, there were elements that transgressed beyond the age of any reader who has followed the footsteps of anyone who grew up with the book.

The book wasn't written well, but the book could have been written well within the following books that came after. I think, and this is my opinion, Stephanie Meyer got importuned by the fame of her own work that it affected her as a writer to grow from her weaknesses, and instead, replaced what she lacked with what the readers wanted - a vampire love story.

Like a lot of parents out there I read the Twilight series because at the time my young teen was reading it and i had this thing about keeping up with the "in" thing in her crowd. I hated not understanding what everyone was babbling about. I read the Harry Potter series for the same reasons.

What a lot of you seem to be overlooking is that while they may not have been the best written books on the market, they DID get kids to READ.  That's a pretty good feat in the world of cliffnotes and video games.  I know kids more into mmrpg's than they are into their own lives.  The references into the Shakespeare plays got my then teen to actually pick up my copy and read "Romeo and Juliette" when I told her I had a copy instead of just telling her the basics of the story.

If something gets a teenager to read and like Shakespeare, it's ok in my book!

Twilight neuters the horror and wonder of the creatures of the night, legends of fear and loathing, and turns them into something cute and cuddly.

Anne Rice captured the amorality, the loneliness, and tragedy of the creatures. The twilight series changed the legend into something to appeal to most young girls - clothing the white knight in glitter and pallor.

Rowling's books did the same with wizardry, yet I still enjoy them. Not sure I can say why.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

taylor hates taking off his shirt

Taylor Lautner says that one thing he won't miss about making the Twilight movies is taking off his shirt, which seems a pity, since it's his top talent. "One, when we film these movies in like horrendous weather conditions and in the books it's always suppose to be cold and gloomy and the sun can never be out so that's not fun. And then the second thing is, I'm always the only person with my shirt off, so...I wish just everybody could, you know, do it once and then you know, it would make me feel more comfortable."

Twilight only means one thing to me.

Taylor Lautner aka Jacob.

The sight of him shirtless sent me to the seventh heaven.

Now if only he is willing to open that annoying pants. -giggles

Bella? Who is that?

Edward? Uh, never heard of him.

...Just kidding. But you do now sarcasm when you see one, right?

• 3 months later...

Maybe it is because I am a parent, but I thought the Truck, the orange 'monster' they called it... provided one of the largest plot holes in the first book.

After the 'villains' are introduced, Bella and Edward decide that it is better to run. Seven against two, but I guess since one has a higher prey drive, the odds are against them. :P Anyway, Bella arrives at her home in the truck, screams at her father, like she planned. She pretends to break up with Edward and convinces Charlie to let her drive back home to Phoenix. Of course he tries to stop her, make her wait until Morning, give it a few days. Like a nice father should (actually if it were my daughter, I would have put her under house arrest until she calmed her ass down) but in the end he lets her leave after his feelings gets hurt and he has a good shot to his memory. She leaves in that rusty old truck. 

That same rusty old truck never went to Phoenix though. Like it was supposed to. It ended up in Cullen's garage. She instead rides to Phoenix with Alice and Jasper in a black, tinted windowed sports car. She then runs from her now two protectors and is hunted down, tricked, and attacked, nearly killed.

She ends up in the hospital with horrendous injuries, blamed on her clumsiness as she fell down stairs and out a hotel window. A freak accident and the only witnesses to that accident are members of the Cullen family (I believe Edward and Carlisle), the estranged ex-boyfriend that she was fleeing to Phoenix to get away from.

And the truck, is in his Garage.  So that would mean, and would easily become a glaring problem in Bella's and Edward's plan. Charlie should have been able to figure out, that 1. Bella left for Phoenix with some of the Cullen family, not necessarily Edward, but with Edward being there, that it was likely that he was with her at some point in the trip. 2. That they really weren't that broken up, not broken up enough for her to run off to Phoenix, banishing herself from his life. 3. That it could be possible that something else happened other than what either of them were telling the people around them. 4. All is forgiven, she wants to return to Forks, be with Edward, and live with her father, no matter what happened a mere few days ago.

So, in the end, when they would have had to retrieve the truck from the Cullen's house, so that she could drive it again, as we all know she does drive it again, then he should have seen that SOMETHING was wrong. Being an investigative police chief, even of a small town, would see these things. And honestly, if one of my children was with someone else and didn't return to me whole, I'd think long and hard about letting them go back and be around those people again. 

But then again, maybe I'm reading way too far into it. :P 

I know this is a few month's old, but this struck me as odd:

That's a pretty good feat in the world of cliffnotes and video games.

Video games inspired me to read and I know I'm not even close to the only person that is true of. There are also many, many video games that have better stories (Suikoden II, Persona 4, 999, Trails in the Sky, maybe if you're really lucky A Mind Forever Voyaging, etc.) and would be far more constructive for children to play than to read Twilight. Indeed, a lot of games these days have more text than Twilight.

I'm not the type of person who would dictate to a child what they should consume in order to grow up better, because I remember being dictated to and how much I hated that, and I'm not making that mistake. But if a kid asked me whether they should play Ace Attorney or Animal Crossing or read Twilight, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the game.

It's kind of a nasty myth that video games aren't good for children. Like a lot of things in moderation, there's nothing wrong with them; on the contrary, they can be as good for you as eating all your peas and a lot more fun -- cause who wants to eat the peas when they get squished up in the mash potato?

Sometimes I think you latch onto things just to have something to debate Brink. At no time did I ever label Twilight a great work of fiction, nor did i malign video games of any sort.  What I did say is that if it gets kids to pick up a book it can't be all bad.

I know people ( both teens and adults) so addicted to mmrpg's that they have little to no real life social skills. These people come home from work and become their blood elf or orc or whatever the hell it is they become and will play to the small hours of the morning, will sneak time away from work to check on their characters, and generally live in the game. I personally know 3 people who have lost jobs over this behavior. So yeah - any book that not only gets a kid to read, but also generated an interest in reading an author like Shakespeare is OK in my world.

• Like 1

We all like to think that every human being is wired to want to be around other human beings. Have a face to face interaction with the world around them. Not everyone is like that though. So I don't mind if people get involved in some sort of hobby that provides an outlet for social interaction, like video games. Back in the day where Books were most if not all people had, people would say, "she always has her nose in a book," and stuff like that. It's really no difference, we've just become more advanced.

People that are 'shutting' themselves in and away from the outside world with a book Vs. Those that do the same thing with a video game? I don't put a lot of weight against one or the other.

I like my Video games with a lot of reading and of course I read as well. :P