Whydo so many people hate twilight?

My biggest qualm about the Twilight series is that it is completely...

*drumroll*

Anti-feminist. Completely. It's so anti-feminist and normally I don't care, but there are young girls everywhere that are reading this. It's so anti-feminist that Stephenie Meyer, one who identifies with such backwards ideologies, can't even realize it herself. Twilight romanticizes all of the following:

a) It's totally hot for a stranger to creep into your bedroom uninvited and watch you while you sleep, because he's "protecting" you.

b ) Once you freshly get with this stranger, you should throw away all of your friends and ditch your parents in order to be with him for eternity, because that is "love."

c) You are an agentic, independent woman by choosing to make this ultimate sacrifice. You go, 21st century girl!

d) If your boyfriend is going to break up with you, suck it up, because it's his call. And if he breaks into your house and removes all of your possessions, he's doing it because he loves you, not because he's a power-tripping, emotionally abusive criminal.

e) If your boyfriend leaves you, it is the end of the world.

f) If you want your boyfriend to come back to you, indulge in life-threatening activities. Such as... jumping off a cliff.

g) Possessiveness, 'hot and cold' treatments, and further property damage (removing the engine to your car to prevent you from driving off somewhere) is all okay as long as your boyfriend has abs of marble.

h) During sex, it's desirable to get bruises all over your body so you'll look like a trainwreck in the morning. It won't hurt at all. And if he apologizes to you in the morning you should be like... why did you apologize? I'm wearing these as badges of affection.

g) When a grown man imprints on a baby, like a newborn, a bloody fetus that had just been ejected from a caesarean gone wrong, that is TRUE LOVE. Oh god what? No that's not pedophilia, why the fuck would you suggest such a thing?!

in summary) If your man is your "Edward," he's perfect. What possessiveness, property damage, power manipulations? Those arquirks, not disorders.

So, think about all of that for a second. If you say "oh it's just a book, young tween girls can think for themselves..." then you are way underestimating the importance of media and education in the development of a child's values.

Edited by FishWings

My biggest qualm about the Twilight series is that it is completely...

*drumroll*

Anti-feminist. Completely. It's so anti-feminist and normally I don't care, but there are young girls everywhere that are reading this. It's so anti-feminist that Stephenie Meyer, one who identifies with such backwards ideologies, can't even realize it herself. Twilight romanticizes all of the following:

a) It's totally hot for a stranger to creep into your bedroom uninvited and watch you while you sleep, because he's "protecting" you.

b ) Once you freshly get with this stranger, you should throw away all of your friends and ditch your parents in order to be with him for eternity, because that is "love."

c) You are an agentic, independent woman by choosing to make this ultimate sacrifice. You go, 21st century girl!

d) If your boyfriend is going to break up with you, suck it up, because it's his call. And if he breaks into your house and removes all of your possessions, he's doing it because he loves you, not because he's a power-tripping, emotionally abusive criminal.

e) If your boyfriend leaves you, it is the end of the world.

f) If you want your boyfriend to come back to you, indulge in life-threatening activities. Such as... jumping off a cliff.

g) Possessiveness, 'hot and cold' treatments, and further property damage (removing the engine to your car to prevent you from driving off somewhere) is all okay as long as your boyfriend has abs of marble.

h) During sex, it's desirable to get bruises all over your body so you'll look like a trainwreck in the morning. It won't hurt at all. And if he apologizes to you in the morning you should be like... why did you apologize? I'm wearing these as badges of affection.

g) When a grown man imprints on a baby, like a newborn, a bloody fetus that had just been ejected from a caesarean gone wrong, that is TRUE LOVE. Oh god what? No that's not pedophilia, why the fuck would you suggest such a thing?!

in summary) If your man is your "Edward," he's perfect. What possessiveness, property damage, power manipulations? Those arquirks, not disorders.

So, think about all of that for a second. If you say "oh it's just a book, young tween girls can think for themselves..." then you are way underestimating the importance of media and education in the development of a child's values.

Actually, Fish-boy, I rather like these two:

:gikkle:

While your reasons for disliking Twilight may be deeper and more profound, I personally just cannot swallow such uninspired, rank-amateur, sad attempt at low level fantasy. Just thinking about the "plot" makes me roll my eyes.

While your reasons for disliking Twilight may be deeper and more profound, I personally just cannot swallow such uninspired, rank-amateur, sad attempt at low level fantasy. Just thinking about the "plot" makes me roll my eyes.

Hehe. Book 4 was a huge clusterfuck with the biggest anti-climax I have ever had the displeasure to read

Interesting. But that just raises the question .... why is this crap so popular with tweeny girls?

'Cause meyer transmutes all of these "classical signs of a stalker" through rose-tinted glasses for our generation to consume D:

It's trendy to hate twilight. I see it a lot with my friends. One minute they love twilight, then it got popular and suddenly it's "not even good by literature standards." or "Bella is not a good role model to girls" or something like that. Draco in harry potter is a git but I don't whine about what a bad person he was because he's a good character in a story, role model or not. I don't think twilight was the greatest ever but it wasn't a bad read, even if Edward was a stalker. Lol.

I don't hate twilight.  I don't like it either.  I don't think about it.  It's just another story designed to entertain bored people.  I'm pretty sure they're still bored when it's done.  :sleep:

its Chippendales with FUR!!

I don't hate twilight.  I don't like it either.  I don't think about it.  It's just another story designed to entertain bored people.  I'm pretty sure they're still bored when it's done.  :sleep:

• Like 1

All right. The jig is up. I've watched all the twilight movies and read the twilight books. 

I don't hate it... but I don't love it. Please don't ban me.

I always imagined Edward to be played by "Henry Cavill" and Jacob to be played by "Steven Strait" and bella by "Jennifer Lawrence".

*giggles like a tween*

And I think the movie isn't all that shit... it's really just bad acting.

Please don't kill me. I haven't read 50 Shades of Grey yet... I want to read that shit.

Hehe. Book 4 was a huge clusterfuck with the biggest anti-climax I have ever had the displeasure to read

Okay....  so not sure what I am missing here but it was BOOK FOUR and you READ IT (and assuming you read the first three as well).

Hope you have a safe word.

Here is why: 

Nerimon (Alex) is helpful in providing a critical (though not comprehensive in any shape or form) yet entertaining account of his reading of Twilight. As someone who knows vaguely what makes good writing, I believe Nerimon made some good points which may shed light on 'why people hate Twilight' - at least in terms of its quality of written words in relation to its success.

Edited by Circle
  • Like 1

Here is why: 

Nerimon (Alex) is helpful in providing a critical (though not comprehensive in any shape or form) yet entertaining account of his reading of Twilight. As someone who knows vaguely what makes good writing, I believe Nerimon made some good points which may shed light on 'why people hate Twilight' - at least in terms of its quality of written words in relation to its success.

I love Nerimon! He has great literary insight. In particular he found out Harry Potter was gay.

BRILLIANT

• Like 1

Here is why: 

And as we also found out, Nerimon is in fact FishWings alter ego.  :whistle:

Since we are already talking about Twilight.

Reasons Pro-Twilight: Shirtless Taylor Lautner.

tumblr_lw6bep5TCK1r8pc7io1_500.jpg

Reasons Anti-Twilight: Well, pretty much everything else. Though I think the first movie was watchable. The second was beyond awful. The third was "meh". Never bothered with the fourth and fifth. 

Cheers

Ieshwar

And as we also found out, Nerimon is in fact FishWings alter ego.  :whistle:

Since we are already talking about Twilight.

Reasons Pro-Twilight: Shirtless Taylor Lautner.

tumblr_lw6bep5TCK1r8pc7io1_500.jpg

Reasons Anti-Twilight: Well, pretty much everything else. Though I think the first movie was watchable. The second was beyond awful. The third was "meh". Never bothered with the fourth and fifth. 

Cheers

Ieshwar

NO I hate lautner >:C

But...

cam-gigandet-twilight-baby-sling.jpg

much more attractive!

I don't Hate Twilight... I dislike it...

Romantic Drivel you could call it...

I never have liked things where people are saying things like: I love you but we can't be together and I can't get near you because I'll hurt you... The words grow a pair come to mind... and both the vampire main boy and the Werewolf boy are suffering from the No Wavos Syndrome... Like the woman said in Conan the Barbarian: Grab Him and Take Him :evil:

That woman amused me... to no end. big tough barbarian woman... afriad of mice....

I red a book/story once I forget what it was... where the characters were saying to themselves: I love him but he can't possibly love me like I love him because I am bad... back and forth between the two of them It made me ill...It was hard to read and made me want to smack people... at least I think it was a book story... I am pretty sure they were thinking it, thusly book/story.

However you look at it, It is actually something Preteens/Teenagers are about...in a way...

However the concept of Sparkly Vampire just for it's self was interesting.... it explains why they couldn't come out in sunlight without having them burst into flame which would be hard to carry biologically...

I will say this Both Boys were hot and if i ignored the no Wavo's syndrome I liked the movies just for the hot half naked guys running everywhere.... I liked the vampire boy more then the Werewolf I might add... Probably because I saw him first in Harry Potter, And -_- the werewolf boy started following vampire boys habit... -_- NW Syndrome

Movies completely aside, as Reasoning With Vampires continues to show on a day to day basis, the books are just plain bad. One thing is the story, which is rife with unhealthy relationships and couldn't pass the Bechdel test to save its life, but the writing is horrendous! If this is the edited and published version, I wonder how bad it was before...

In the words of Alex Day, 'Stupid Stephanie Meyer, this is not how you book!'

I will defend the actors of the films, though. They've done what they can with the shittiest script ever put to film, and the worst story ever published. Not their fault.