[Jwolf] The English Year

I had the mid-sized school experience at UD, but I also had the small school experience when I went to a place called Wesley College for my first 3 semesters. The place only had 2000 students- it was like the size of a large high school. It had it's perks, but gossip traveled fast and it was harder to avoid people you didn't like. The party scene revolved around the frats, lacrosse house, and football house.

Anyway, good point about OD. I don't really know the school, so I can imagine it however you guys want me to imagine it. Also glad you like Cayden Boyd- he grew up nicely, didn't he? There's something about those big puppy dog eyes on him....

Oh, final thing- just be careful with the anachronisms. Party in the USA came out senior year, not junior year. (I graduated in 2010, as well. I should have graduated in '09, but I did two junior years.) See You Again would have been a more appropriate reference.

I had a friend in college who had this as his voicemail message. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Corbin and his friends really like Wendy's, huh? Man. Over at UD, the big thing was getting a hoagie from Wawa's after drinking, but if you wanted to go cheap, just get a 5 dollar pizza from Little C's, which was open until 3 on weekends. Surprisingly enough, we didn't have a Wendy's within walking distance to campus- the biggies were Mickey D's and a really ghetto Burger King, but only Mickie D's was open late. We also had a late-night D.P. Dough, and a 24/7 Dunkin Donuts- Dunkin' Donuts got to be my place for late night after they closed down two dinners. After I graduated, they did open up an IHop that's open really late on weekends, which was nice after clubbing.

Anyway...god, the memories...King's, the completely jaded attitude you have by junior year and wanting to recapture some of that youthful energy by being around freshmen...I also enjoyed Corbin's bitchy attitude and the drama that can come along whenever you're in some organized club where people have power. I was in Residence Hall Council, and god the power struggles were bad last year.

It's a little weird to me that a guy would reach his early 20's and still be pretty sexually ambiguous- Peter's 22 and a grad student, right? But to each his own.

As for Lee...I'm hoping for Lee's sake that he's just a slutty freshman looking for fun buddies (TM Greek) and that he's not actually into Corbin as a serious thing.

Also, I'd never heard the term "frat star", even when I went to a small school where Greek life controlled the party scene, so I kind of wonder if it's a southern thing.

Edited by methodwriter85

It's a little weird to me that a guy would reach his early 20's and still be pretty sexually ambiguous- Peter's 22 and a grad student, right? But to each his own.

I totally get what you're saying here. I feel like the older we get, the easier it is to just get that vibe from someone. What made the guy that Peter is based on interesting is that no one would have been surprised either way. Without coming right out and asking him, he really could have been perfectly straight or perfectly gay. We attritubed a lot of it to his being European (British, Irish, having spent a lot of time in France), but who knows. We'll also learn some things about his uber conservative family in the next few chapters when his sister comes to visit that may shed let on why he'd choose to remain ambiguos about it. All this to say, we might have saved a ton of time asking him, but no one close to me ever did... we just speculated.

Not to be a pain, but I feel like you just left a huge give-away right there. :/

Granted, chapters 2 and 3 have felt very much like repeats of the first in terms of the end result, but it seems like this give-away has "Source Of Drama!" stamped all over it.

Anyway...god, the memories...King's, the completely jaded attitude you have by junior year and wanting to recapture some of that youthful energy by being around freshmen...I also enjoyed Corbin's bitchy attitude and the drama that can come along whenever you're in some organized club where people have power. I was in Residence Hall Council, and god the power struggles were bad last year.

Oh, don't I know it. I was in a RHC too, and my third year saw drama hit new heights. It came close to bringing the group down, as half the executive board ended up resigning, including our President and VP. Per our by-laws, this meant our VP of Records (sec/treas) now moved up to President. Fortunately, we were able to turn things back around from there. (I was also brought back in to the Records position, which I'd held the year before and which many remembered the job I did with it. :))

What's interesting, though, is to contrast that with my fraternity at that exact same time - where the drama was just not there, or if it was, it was very much kept in-house. :)

Edited by MJ85

"frat star" is not part of the common vernacular anywhere Posted Image

I knew JWolf made that up. Although I'll give him sorostitute- that was definitely around UD, too. So was rager. And then by the end of senior year, Jersey Shore slang made it's way in, like "good looks" and the like. Although we did get a lot of New Jersey people- New Jersey doesn't have that many colleges, and what they do have tends to be pretty expensive, so we got a lot of them.

I don't know what y'all are talking about. Frat star was the thing to call people at my school. Oh well. I guess it was a Virginia thing...

Mj, I don't mean to spoil anything if I did. To be honest, I didn't give any sort of outcome away. My comment was just to say, things in the early days may have been different had someone just asked Pete which way he swung. We've still got a lot of story to tell and plenty of ups and downs before the eventual outcome. Trust me...

See, we just called fratty guys "bro". Maybe broseph. No one thought you were a star if you were in a frat; that in itself was only impressive if you were in a frat yourself. My campus party scene was generally GDI.

It was kind of funny though, because when I went to IUP for graduate school, it was so fratty there that it was amazing.

Couple things..

1) Posted Image again at "frat star"

2) You were up at 4am searching "frat star"?

3) Having good parties or not, "frat stars" do become part of something much greater than themselves, and well, that's something people take away and keep for life. Parties get forgotten. :D

4) I'm going to add another entry on urban dictionary for "frat star" and say "moon sized frat station and superweapon capable of converting entire populations of GDIs"

No use of the phrase Frat Star in this chapter... still, it's up and ready (just in time for everyone's day off tomorrow!) I hope you enjoy. You can access the chapter here. Let me know what you think, either here in the forum, or in the comment section after the chapter.

Well it's fortunate that you link to your chapters here, cause this one didn't show up in the latest postings. Posted Image

EDIT: GA Stories is the only other place it showed up (besides notification)

Edited by MJ85

The kitten bit was hilarious. I remember this frat I used to hang out with had a cat called Sid Vicious, and well...I'm from a cat family that loves cats(my sisters currently have about 4 cats between them), and one night I was drunk and just talking loving cat talk to Sid Vicious. This one guy looked at my display, laughed, and said, "Well, I guess he likes the pussy!" LOL.

The Waffle House bit...we have one just over the state line in Maryland, and they're pretty cool. There are also a couple below the canal, in slower lower Delaware. When my ASB group traveled down to Tennessee, we could get over just how many Waffle Houses there were...you were more likely to see a Waffle House than you were to see a Denny's.

Although nothing beats IHOP. Nothing.

As for the blackout drunk bit...I don't think I ever got to the point where I was black-out drunk. Although there was the time where I apparently slept through a fire alarm after the night I downed a bottle of a Popov vodka, so there's that.

I feel like I'm learning so much about UD in the process of writing ths Posted Image coke was huge in certain circles around my school. In fact there was a huge bust senior year... We might get there if the story warrants it Posted Image glad you're enjoying.

Pot was the prevailing drug at UD because UD tends to be more of a mellow, laidback kind of school. Some really hardcore kids were into heroin, but if you were into that kind of thing you were more likely to just use Oxy. Uppers weren't that popular here in general, except for finals time when people would bust out the Adderall. There were some cokeheads who were usually the rich kids from northern New Jersey/Long Island, but in no way did it touch the popularity of pot. Mostly we just binge drinked, though.

I thought the bit with Lee hit on something that I noticed my second junior year with the incoming freshman class of 2008...straight or straightish guys were much less screamish about homosexuality or experimentation than they were when I was a freshman in 2005. Attitudes seemed to change really rapidly in just a few years.

Edited by methodwriter85

I thought the bit with Lee hit on something that I noticed my second junior year with the incoming freshman class of 2008...straight or straightish guys were much less screamish about homosexuality or experimentation than they were when I was a freshman in 2005. Attitudes seemed to change really rapidly in just a few years.

:huh: screamish? (squeamish?)

When I saw the title "Cock Block" for this chapter, it had me thinking yet another chapter where Corbin tries to get with Pete and fails badly. :P So...the way it turned out instead was a bit of a surprise. :)

I kind of like the word screamish... And I totally agree with you, method. I was pleasantly surprised on a regular basis how fluid the sexuality of guys a year or two younger than me were. A frustrating, but interesting situation.

As for the drug use, it was definitely drawn down social lines at my school. More well off kids tended to do blow. Everyone smoked weed and did aderall. Shrooms and x were brought out on occasion. Other than that,...

:o Good lord. Of those, weed is the only one of those that anyone really used over in my neck of the woods. I suppose it's possible that any of the others were too, but I never heard about them ever. The vibe I get is that something like shrooms would've been pretty damn scandalous over here. Then again, I'd also say our liquid consumption certainly made up for not using the others. :P

Although...I did hear rumors of meth use a couple of years as well.

Back when I was a sophomore, someone wrote an article about heroin use in Delaware. It caused a little bit of a blogging war, as a lot of people called this fake.

http://www.udreview....heroin-1.140149

It was about a girl who claimed to have gone along with a fellow University of Delaware student to watch him score heroin. It ended with him getting ripped off, and her getting sexually molested. A guy who once wrote for the school paper when he was a student ripped the article on his blog, leading to a flame war.

There was one girl who died back in late 2007 because she overdosed on an 8-ball. There was also a guy who died of frat hazing in late 2008, and it was rumored that aside from the heaving drinky, he had used coke, so there was coke use on campus- just not as big as weed.

Edited by methodwriter85