[Jwolf] The English Year

I'm with Corbin on this. I don't get Pete at all. Maybe if he wasn't drunk all the times he and Pete hung out he'd understand him better?

I remember reading a passage where Pete and Corbin had talked all night, and Corbin didn't remember anything of what Pete had said. I can't find that passage. So I'm not sure if I just dreamt it all. 

Felt significant to me at that time, because maybe Pete mentioned something to Corbin and he didn't remember it? 

Edited by Maximoff

You did read that passage n one of the earlier chapters. Not sure where now, but definitely somewhere. I will say though, if you're holding out for sobriety, I wouldn't. It's the nature with these guys and this school. But! Alcohol and something stronger play a integral part for Pete and Corbin moving forward.

I felt like there were two kinds of college partiers in college- the binge drinkers (like myself), and the all-day 24/7 drinkers, like Corbin and company.

If this were another kind of story, I'd almost think an intervention was on its way for Corbin. LOL. He's 20, though. It's normal at 20. If he were 24 and still drinking like that, I'd be worried.

Some might observe that alcohol can be like truth serum.  :whistle:

Hey, Mark, by the way, take note of the use of "it's whatever" and "not gonna lie". Those will be highly used by Will Schluter and his peers during his college years.

Some of the slang is really quirky, like sfrat and the like, but for the most part, this story serves as an incredibly good primer for understanding the generation of people who went to college in the mid/late-2000's, of which you've got at least three characters that will be part of that with CAP.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 2 weeks later...

Hee. Someone getting fingered on the dance floor. Gotta love college. I think my favorite memory of extreme displays of affection at a college party was this time when these two people were basically going at it on a lazy boy, as in her pants were unbuttoned, and then the girl's brother walked in! LOL.

“What just happened?” Hutch asked me. I turned to see him standing over me and holding a Pabst Blue Ribbon in one hand and an orange wedge in the other.

“Pabst in the morning? What is this, a trailer park?”

Hmm. Hipsters must not have been a thing at Corbin's college. At UD, Pabst wasn't associated with white trash. It was associated with artsy hipster types, or people who dressed trashy as an ironic commentary on society.

I  really loved Pete and Corbin's little sing-along. I loved breaking out into drunken singing at college parties- I have vivid memories of singing Matchmaker, Matchmaker from Fiddler on the Roof at this party on Delaware Ave during summer session '09, when I was celebrating passing college math with not just a C, but a C+.

Before I went to UD, I went to a small college named Welsey, and there was a school newspaper there that regularly tried to push the boundaries. The newspaper editor there basically called the school's president out for the fact that he plagarized the school's mission statement. One time she and my history professor, who was big on the school president, basically came to blows.

Finally, when Corbin talks about the "frat flip", is this the kind of look he's talking about?

Jim_Hi_scene.jpg

I remember that look being pretty popular from about 2003 to...I wanna say '09-ish? It seems like guys are back to wearing their hair shorter and spikier now.

I called it the "winged" look, but I noticed it more on lacrosse players than I did on frat boys.

Edited by methodwriter85

Wow. I'm so mad at Corbin right now for writing that extra piece in the newspaper and not feeling any remorse. But I don't think it's OOC, it's a typical Corbin move. 

I'm just worried about the repercussions of this, not the letter from the Dean (or a guy named Dean? must be confusing...), but for Melanie. I just hope that she has some kind of support group that she doesn't commit suicide or something stupid like that... 

See...I can't help but think that Melanie's drawing lots of attention and is basically outing herself as "that girl". That doesn't make what Corbin wrote right, but she's making herself a very public center of attention as well. And that can't be a good thing for her. :/

• Like 1

I honestly don't feel that bad for Melanie. It'd be one thing if she were a girl who had sent her boyfriend topless photos of herself, and said photos went viral, because that was something that was intended to be private. But if you choose to do something like that in public, you gotta take the consequences that come along with it.

• Like 2

What do I know? I've never been to a party where this amount of alcohol is consumed. Do you really lose control of what you do? Seems like you easily get to a point where you have no memory of your actions - wouldn't that lower ones inhibitions as well? Why is everything directed to the girl? In my opinion, it was the guy who initiated the intimacy - he has equal, if not more of the blame. 

What do I know? I've never been to a party where this amount of alcohol is consumed. Do you really lose control of what you do? Seems like you easily get to a point where you have no memory of your actions - wouldn't that lower ones inhibitions as well? Why is everything directed to the girl? In my opinion, it was the guy who initiated the intimacy - he has equal, if not more of the blame. 

And yet, she did nothing to stop him. If she had, then she wouldn't be as complicit in what happened as she is. You raise a good point, and perhaps the two should share equally in blame. But unless this was in fact a case of her being violated against her will, she's not without blame.

And yet, she did nothing to stop him. If she had, then she wouldn't be as complicit in what happened as she is. You raise a good point, and perhaps the two should share equally in blame. But unless this was in fact a case of her being violated against her will, she's not without blame.

Is it possible something was slipped in her drink? Though she was still "dancing"... hmmm

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the issue the dorm counselor, Melanie, and presumebly the dean have with the article is that, they way Corbin phrased it, both parties are not sharing the blame. The onus for the incident is being placed on her. He says that, in as many words, "...fingering someone on a dance floor is unacceptable behavior. Sweetie, allowing yourself to be fingered is even worse." He then continues on for another two sentences, in what could have been directed towards both of them, but he then pulls the boy back into blame with his final sentence, making it seem that everything from where I quoted to the word "Both" was directed soley at her.

While I will say that the two were out of line, the situation was already being handled. It wasn't up to Corbin to punish them. His actions, putting the events into the public eye for everyone on campus to read and laugh at, rather than letting it stay within one social group, is an entirely separate issue. One his frat should probably take issue with. Who's going to want to get drunk with or become a part of a bunch of assholes that are going to tell all the details of last night to the entire campus? And yeah, gossip happens, especially juicy gossip, but he literally tried to tell the entire campus.

Edit: And what pisses me off is he didn't have to go there. By all means, make a joke. Like I said, they did something stupid, you can't expect it not to become a joke. Slamming on her, attempting to publicly shame her for being sexual (rather than stupid), ensuring that the consequences he predicted would come to be, that was all Corbin. The way the story was related to him, both parties did share the blame, and the guy was made out to be the bigger idiot. But that's not how he told the story, was it?

Edited by B1ue
  • Like 1

When you put it like that, it makes sense. I still don't feel all that sorry for the girl, but yeah, Corbin did go over the line.

What's been so interesting about this story is that Corbin manages to be someone you alternately want to root for and slap the shit out of. And very, very, very 20 years old, when you think you have everything figured out and you really don't. I remember being a junior in college, looking at freshman, and thinking there were babies. Now I look at any college kid and just think they're kids. And I'm sure someone in their 40'swould look at me at 27 and see a kid.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read that letter a couple of weeks ago, and I died! Expect Corbin to have some similar outbursts as we get to the heat of rush. I've started working on new chapters, so look back in a week or so for an update. Thanks again to everyone for their patience!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I showed up to Klondike Kate's while UD Alumni Weekend was going on. They played "Party in the U.S.A." and some guys let me hijack their photo. I thought immediately of the scene where Dakota goes off on the girl for hijacking their photo. It was like a revere of that.