With my favorite team (STL Cardinals) moving up in the NCLS, I was wondering who your fav's. go to. Ideally, I'd like the Yankees face the Cards, and the Cards wipe their face in the mud, however unlikely that it is.... Wish we had a playoff pool like we did for hockey last year... Folks would be salty when I won this one :D

The Cardinals comeback in yesterday's Game 5 with Washington was nothing short of miraculous. Descalso and Kozma - talk about unlikely heroes. They are redefining "never quit". Game 6 from last year's World Series still haunts me. Now they have to be Giant killers.

• Like 1

Alabama took care of Mizzou, much to my chagrin.

The Cards win last night was something of a continuation of their play in October of 2011. Conner's remarks about Daniel Descalso and Pete Kozma are right on. The bottom of the batting order sure contributed! The Cards had to scratch and chip all the way after spotting the Nationals a 6 run lead. With the turnover in personnel including the retirement of La Russa, Pujols going for California gold and then the injuries with Chris Carpentar, Lance Berkman and Furcal going down it was a tough season. The Cardinals took advantage of the expanded wild card and went on to beat the Nationals who had the best record during the regular season.

The NLCS will be tough as I expect the Giants have as much momentum as the Cards and their Park has always given the Cards some trouble.

If I had my druthers, for the 2012 World Series I'd of course like to see the Card vs. Yankees with the Cards winning in 7

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 1

Looking for drama, anyone? Game 1 of the ALCS between the Tigers and Yankees had it all. Of course, you would have needed close to 5 hours to experience. Living on the west coast was certainly a plus tonight from that perspective.

So the Yanks come to bat in the bottom of the 9th down 4 - 0. Jose Velverde, Detroit's closer, proceeds to give up 4 runs - Ichiro hits a 2-run homer and, yes, Rauuuuuuuuuul Ibanez follows that up with a 2-run homer of his own. There were several camera shots of Miguel Cabrera in the Tigers dugout at the end of the 9th - man, was he pissed - presumably with his manager, Jim Leyland, for not giving Velverde the hook after Ichiro's 2-run shot when the score was still 4 - 2 for Detroit. Anyway, Detroit scored 2 in the 12th and the Yanks couldn't come back a second time.

The bigger loss for the Yankees, however, was losing Derek Jeter for the rest of the post season. Apparantly he broke his ankle - this happening in the 12th - mind you, he looked like he was playing injured through most of the game. Now that's a big gap to fill.

• Like 1

Yeah..."closer" is definitely a loose term when it comes to Valverde. :P

Game 2 will probably tell the story better, but I imagine that going on without Jeter, and having to make it through three in Detroit later on this week is definitely gonna be a tall order. Hehehehe... :D

Edited by MJ85
  • Like 1

Alabama took care of Mizzou, much to my chagrin.

The Cards win last night was something of a continuation of their play in October of 2011. Conner's remarks about Daniel Descalso and Pete Kozma are right on. The bottom of the batting order sure contributed! The Cards had to scratch and chip all the way after spotting the Nationals a 6 run lead. With the turnover in personnel including the retirement of La Russa, Pujols going for California gold and then the injuries with Chris Carpentar, Lance Berkman and Furcal going down it was a tough season. The Cardinals took advantage of the expanded wild card and went on to beat the Nationals who had the best record during the regular season.

The NLCS will be tough as I expect the Giants have as much momentum as the Cards and their Park has always given the Cards some trouble.

If I had my druthers, for the 2012 World Series I'd of course like to see the Card vs. Yankees with the Cards winning in 7

I'm fully planning on a yankee vs. cards series.... that would be epic... (I have money on the game, hehe...)

The Yanks losing Jeter is going to hurt their chances. That the Tigers gave up 4 runs in the 9th and yet were able to hold on and come back and win shows some determination as well. The game last night was like a National League game.

Tonight's matchup should be exciting.

Yeah, I think the consensus is that Velverde has lost his closer job. It's hard to believe that this is the same pitcher who, in 2011, saved 49 games in 49 attempts. His numbers for this year weren't as good but quite decent. He blew a save this past week in Game 4 of the ALDS against Oakland.

Then there's all the wierd stuff he does.

• Like 1

I doubt very much that the Yanks will be in the WS. Lost two games at home and now have to go play three in Detroit, where they'll have to face Verlander. Odds are extremely slim, especially having lost Jeter and with A-Rod, Granderson and Cano all in a major slump.

Cardinals are hitting their peak at the right time though. It will be interesting to see how they hold up against SF. They took care of my Braves, so I give the Cards the advantage.

Cards looked good against the Giants in AT&T Park with both Freese and Beltran homering in a park which is not homer friendly on Sunday.

Hopefully, Carpenter will have a good outing today!

Today is a travel day for the ALCS.

Well Carp had his troubles and the Giants were primed and ready to pounce. The NLCS is even at a game a piece.

The ALCS game 3 is at 8 pm Eastern US time zone tonight and is in Detroit with the Tigers up already having won the first two of the best of seven. Verlander is scheduled to pitch and so I wouldn't bet against Detroit tonight.

The Tigers are one win away from winning the ALCS. Verlander did win the other night. Last night's rainout also works in Detroit's favor as Sabathia won't be available for any necessary game 7.

In the National League, my Cards are up 2 games to 1 and need two more. If we could wrap it up in St. Louis today and tomorrow, the town will GO CRAZY!

• Like 1

There isn't much drama in college football either.. Alabama will win the BCS. :P

But.. since my beloved Reds hit the shitter early, I've not been a fan of Baseball Post Season.. especially since the St. Louis Cardinals finally got their head out of their asses and are marching towards another unsettling upset through the NL on to the World Series.

• Like 1

Cards win! Lead best of seven series, three games to one! They can close it out tomorrow night in St. Louis. If they do, the city will GO CRAZY!

Personal observation: St. Louis is already crazy.

• Like 1

St. Louis is crazy.....about their Redbirds! There will be a sea of RED all around town today in their honor.

After the Giants came back and won three in a row in Cincinnati in the divisional series, (and broke their fans hearts) you can never count them out as long as they have a chance. But we broke a lot of hearts in DC when we spotted the Nationals a six run lead and then came back and won the deciding game 5. So I expect a lot of drama tonight, because it ain't over 'til it's over just as we proved last year in game 6 of the World Series against the Rangers.

I also agree with Krista, barring some major unexpected injuries, it looks like 'Bama all the way in college football.

I just think we didn't want the SF crowd to feel left out.... Sunday's the day.... :D And Krista, seriously, a FB Post in a baseball post?!? Shame, shame!! :P I did like Wainwright's no walks in the 4th game though. Didn't get to watch Sat. game.... must be the reason they lost Posted Image

Had I been managing the Giants in yesterday's game, I would have had the bullpen going in the bottom of the 2nd inning. As it turned out, it would have been premature...and I hate being premature. Posted Image

Molina singled to lead off the 2nd. Freese doubled. Runners at 2nd and 3rd, no one out. Looks good for the Cards, n'est-ce pas? Zito strikes out Descalso. Kozma is given an intentional walk to load the bases. Which brings Lance Lynn to the plate. Lynn grounds into a double play. That was great baseball.

Edited by Conner
  • Like 1