So, I've spent the weekend watching all of The Thick of It and am now slightly in love with Peter Capaldi. Or at least with Malcolm Tucker. At the moment I'm having a hard time telling the two apart. :P Either way, it's a bizarre feeling, since Tucker is pretty much a massive twat, but for some reason I really empathise with him.

I'm preparation for Peter Capaldi taking on the role as doctor, I'm watching The End of Time (both parts)

I've never seen this special, it's very hard to find the DVD for it here in Australia.

And I'm going to try and find The Thick of It, since I've only seen a few episodes of it.

I really want John barrowman to be in the new series, I reckon the dynamic between him and Capaldi would be fantastic!

mmm be interesting for the next doctor but if he's the companion we're returning back to the original early format

it moffatt implying the doctor is getting older and rather than younger we be hitting that limit of iterations

moffatt would actually conceding the end of the doctor?

perhaps a movie reboot in mind will come, lol

imagine another director like Abrams rewriting doctor who universe?

Edited by hh5

mmm be interesting for the next doctor but if he's the companion we're returning back to the original early format

it moffatt implying the doctor is getting older and rather than younger we be hitting that limit of iterations

moffatt would actually conceding the end of the doctor?

perhaps a movie reboot in mind will come, lol

imagine another director like Abrams rewriting doctor who universe?

I think your approach to the series is... too American. :P

• Like 2

One incarnation of the Doctor can look older, and then the next can look younger again. Hartnel was older, Troughton was slightly younger, Pertwee was older, Baker was slightly younger, Davidson was the youngest ever until Matt came along, Baker the second was older than Davidson, McCoy was born the same year as Baker, McGann was younger... And on and on it goes.

Also, it's been more or less confirmed that Peter will be playing the role with his own accent. :D

And, for your entertainment and nothing really to do with Doctor Who, have a video and the knowledge that Peter Capaldi and Craig Ferguson are old pals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5N6sLZq-78

Edited by Thorn Wilde

He's going to keep his Scottish accent as the Doctor... That's a whole new challenge for a non-native English speaker like me.

I don't think he'll be doing it in full-on Glaswegian or anything. His regular accent is pretty watered down anyway, he's worked in England so much. I tend to find that he speaks much clearer than many Englishmen. He's easy to understand, I don't think you'll have any problems, and even if you do, you'll learn from it and get used to it quite quickly. :)

This special Dr Who 50th anniversary BBC Proms concert was broadcast by the Beeb on Monday and is currently on Youtube in full

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaFGwIGyzDA

I'm guessing it'll get taken down so watch it now if you've not seen it. It's great fun and has Matt Smith, Peter Davison, and Carol Ann Ford, granddaughter and the first Dr Who companion of William Hartnell and LOTS of monsters prowling around the Royal Albert Hall terrifying the kids in the audience :lol:

Early Dr Who had crap special effects but the music was always fab and in 1963 the sound created by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop under Delia Derbyshire produced the most advanced electronic sound effects anywhere in the world - and that fantastic theme :P

• Like 2

This special Dr Who 50th anniversary BBC Proms concert was broadcast by the Beeb on Monday and is currently on Youtube in full

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaFGwIGyzDA

I'm guessing it'll get taken down so watch it now if you've not seen it. It's great fun and has Matt Smith, Peter Davison, and Carol Ann Ford, granddaughter and the first Dr Who companion of William Hartnell and LOTS of monsters prowling around the Royal Albert Hall terrifying the kids in the audience :lol:

Early Dr Who had crap special effects but the music was always fab and in 1963 the sound created by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop under Delia Derbyshire produced the most advanced electronic sound effects anywhere in the world - and that fantastic theme :P

Ooh, fun! Is it on the iPlayer? I'd love to see it in full quality...

Ooh, fun! Is it on the iPlayer? I'd love to see it in full quality...

Yeah, available to everyone in the UK. But I posted this for non-UK Whovians who may not get a chance to see it - 480p is fine on a PC but don't delay cos the Beeb probably won't let this stay on Youtube :(

*YT vids are also downloadable if you use Firefox :evil:*

Edited by Zombie

Yeah, available to everyone in the UK. But I posted this for non-UK Whovians who may not get a chance to see it - 480p is fine on a PC but don't delay cos the Beeb probably won't let this stay on Youtube :(

*YT vids are also downloadable if you use Firefox :evil:*

It can also be viewed on the iPlayer for non-UK residents if you've got The TunnerBear or Hola Unblocker. :)

I love the Doctor Who Proms things. I've seen them all! :D Except this one.

Rhyming slang is more of a cockney thing, really... And has been used, on occasion, by multiple characters, I believe.

More of - yes, but I've read and seen enough info on glaswegian rhyming slang as well...

At date of casting the youngest Hartnell could have been is 55 years 5 months and the oldest Capaldi could have been is 55 years and 3 months.

So William Hartnell was the oldest actor when cast as Dr Who.

I know how important stuff like this is to true Whovians :lol:

• Like 1

At date of casting the youngest Hartnell could have been is 55 years 5 months and the oldest Capaldi could have been is 55 years and 3 months.

So William Hartnell was the oldest actor when cast as Dr Who.

I know how important stuff like this is to true Whovians :lol:

Wow, when you put it like that it makes me feel so anal retentive. :P

• Like 1