the twelve doctors was in honor of each month for the 50th anniversary

John Hurt is suppose to play the doctor also

it seems that this new doctor will be the 13th

It seems that the costume design is where the information is, as many fans considered a photo of Hurt in costume, complete with a very Eccleston-like leather jacket, on the 50th anniversary set, to be another significant clue to his Doctor’s identity.  According to Burden, Hurt’s character is a “dark Doctor,” and would technically be the Doctor’s 9th incarnation, making Eccleston the 10th, David Tennant the 11th, and Matt Smith the 12th. It may be that Hurt’s character does not qualify as “the Doctor” in name, so perhaps we can continue to enjoy the convenience of Tennant being Ten without confusion. In any case, this news also indicates, if it was in doubt before, that new Doctor Who isn’t taking pains to follow the 13 incarnation limit that has been thrown around as a cap for the Doctor’s regeneration. Inserting a previously unknown incarnation into the history of the show makes sense as a dramatic twist for the 50th Anniversary, but it also indicates that, with the show’s popularity on the rise, Steven Moffat and company will continue to play with the history of the show.

john-hurt-doctor-who.jpg

They still discount Peter Cushing Dr Who movies making him the 2nd doctor

drwho2.jpg

If they had honored Peter Cushing then we have 14 Doctors

Edited by hh5

Soooo, Malcolm Tucker is the new Dr Who

tucker.jpg

and no-one cares? :P

I'm not sure what kind of Richelieu he will be but what I could tell from that short show when he was introduced, I'm quite excited about this pick! He's obviously a very skilled actor, having obtained both Bafta and Oscar, so I hope the writers up their game and we will get an awesome 8th season of the new Doctor. I've been very disappointed by recent stretching of one season over two years.  :thumbdown:

I get a fright each time I open this thread and see that pic :P

We can look forward to Macolm The Doctor being his usual polite and friendly self  to the Cybermen :lol:

http://i39.tinypic.com/vdle2g.jpg

*do not click on this link if you are of a nervous disposition and easily upset*

Oh, Zombie, that was priceless!! :D

I for one hope that they'll let him keep his accent and not make him be all standard English-y like they did with David Tennant.

I think that Peter Capaldi will be excellent as the Doctor. I've loved him ever since I saw him as the angel Islington in Neverwhere years and years ago. He's a great actor, and I think he'll kill the role. It was time they went with someone older, anyway.

the twelve doctors was in honor of each month for the 50th anniversary

John Hurt is suppose to play the doctor also

it seems that this new doctor will be the 13th

john-hurt-doctor-who.jpg

They still discount Peter Cushing Dr Who movies making him the 2nd doctor

drwho2.jpg

If they had honored Peter Cushing then we have 14 Doctors

They discount Peter Cushing because he never played a Time Lord from Gallifrey. Peter Cushing's doctor was human, and doesn't fit in anywhere on the official timeline. The movies he was in are completely separate from canon. 

The 12 regenerations limitation was set by the high council of Gallifrey to stop corruption, because no one should be immortal (The Master got around this and had unlimited regenerations), but Gallifrey is gone, and the high council with it, and no one's controlling how many regenerations anyone gets to have anymore. So it makes sense that it's no longer a thing.

• Like 2

oh they didn't put the limit in the Timelords DNA?

at least they paid tribute to him in the magazine at least

dwm461cover.jpg

I only saw one episode of Doctor Who on TV, but I felt the character was unnecessarily harsh. I see him as a jolly old fellow – not sour at all!

To mark the centenary of the legendary PETER CUSHING’s birth, as well as the release on DVD and Blu-ray of Dr Who and the Daleks and Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 AD in which he starred, DWM takes a look at the life of the man who was the big screen Dr Who…

hehe there was a time when tennant was in human form, it would be acceptable he could have stayed in that form for a long time to hide

Yeah its agreed that the fans hated the departure from the original format

but since we're grown up on a higher form of sci fi .. parallel universe can answer things

cushing would be accepted as the doctor from parallel reality

perhaps if the movies continued on ... it could have be fitted to the original format
why not have a timelord build his own tardis while he's either in human form or undercover
if he couldn't do it then he be no different than a sport car driver

fans are too quick to make the assumption who the cushing doctor really is
movies are too slow to evolve the character

but somewhere we ostracised the cushing character

This is far from the first time that there's been talk of a Who movie, of course. Two honest-to-goodness films were actually written, shot and released to the general public back in the 1960s, with none other than the legendary Peter Cushing taking on the role of 'Doctor Who'. 

Some fans balked at the sweeping changes that the Cushing films made to the original show's format - the central character is not an enigmatic Time Lord, but a cuddly human scientist who resides with his family in their quaint London home. Oh, and the TARDIS is not an alien device - Dr Who built it in his back garden.

But 1965's Dr. Who and the Daleks was enough of a financial success to warrant a sequel, the following year's Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. (directed by Gordon 'father of Jason' Flemyng no less!). Could Yates's film - if it materialises - achieve similar success by playing fast and loose with Doctor Who's central concepts?

Since plans for a third Cushing film were aborted, Who fans have been inundated with rumors of a new film adaptation on a regular basis, so it's easy to understand why some are quick to dismiss the news of the Yates project as mere speculation. 

I hope the new doctor can take the same punishment like Matt n David 
its a risk to see if this older doctor can attract the younger fans
new blood breaths life into an ongoing series

They discount Peter Cushing because he never played a Time Lord from Gallifrey. Peter Cushing's doctor was human, and doesn't fit in anywhere on the official timeline. The movies he was in are completely separate from canon. 

The 12 regenerations limitation was set by the high council of Gallifrey to stop corruption, because no one should be immortal (The Master got around this and had unlimited regenerations), but Gallifrey is gone, and the high council with it, and no one's controlling how many regenerations anyone gets to have anymore. So it makes sense that it's no longer a thing.

Edited by hh5

I have no problem with the Cushing doctor. I think those movies are fun. I just don't accept it as canon, and it was never meant to be either. Those movies weren't created by the same people, they weren't a spin-off or anything like that. 

An important thing to recognise is that Cushing didn't play the Doctor. He played Dr. Who. That is a significant difference. Not the same character, never really meant to be either.

Thing I really like about Capaldi, and it was true of Tennant as well, is that he's been a Doctor Who fan for a long time - that fandom helps bring a bigger understanding to the role.  I look forward to his episodes and hopes he stays for a while.

noted

I wonder how the people below answered to the fans of time about Dr Who vs Doctor Who

not easy to find

lol, I think discounting cushing is getting too orthodox than being liberal of the character

but looking forward the newer adventurers are great to have than to see a series ultimate cease

TV series reboots are never the same ... lol if they take the JJ Abrams way lol

Director: Gordon Flemyng
Writers: Terry Nation (based on the BBC television serial), Milton Subotsky (screenplay)

I have no problem with the Cushing doctor. I think those movies are fun. I just don't accept it as canon, and it was never meant to be either. Those movies weren't created by the same people, they weren't a spin-off or anything like that. 

An important thing to recognise is that Cushing didn't play the Doctor. He played Dr. Who. That is a significant difference. Not the same character, never really meant to be either.

Edited by hh5

I'm quite happy at the choice, but I myself need two other things to happen to be truly happy:

1) Can Moffat and bring back RTD

2) The Doctor after Peter HAS to be Helena Bonham Carter

Edited by Rizan
  • Like 1

I like the comment where if it where not for the films he would have not become fan of the series

Watching the bits of the old series ... I wouldn't be a fan because some of it was lame

the moffat reboot ... improved and taken out these blemishes

but still I admire the series ... and hopefully over time I will watch more of the old series

it just that I like to know which doctor had the best series???

Also, it should be pointed out, when this film was made there had been no mention of 'Time Lords' or 'Gallifrey' or where exactly the Doctor had come from in the show. It was known that he was an exile from somewhere. He could have been a human from the future and a different (colonized) planet so far as continuity was established in those days. 
---
And, yes, as you point out, we did not yet know The Doctor was a Time Lord or even an alien. In fact, as I noticed after having watched this movie, when watching Season 3 Classic Who, there was an episode in which the Doctor referred to himself as a human being. I believe it was the serial "The Savages," but I don't remember which episode.
---
Most of the differences stem from things you mentioned like the fact there was no explanation about the shape of the tardis but let's face it - how many people who watch the tv show know why it's that shape. Only people who have seen the very first episode would know why. Also the doctor not being an alien and barbara being his granddaughter rather than susan's schoolteacher. And minor effects differences like the dalek firing steam and no tardis sound. 
----
Decades ago, I saw part of this movie in a double-feature science fiction show at the old Fox Venice (Venice, California). This was soon after the movie came out, so the Dr. Who show hadn't really taken off yet. I saw only part of this movie because I wandered out into the lobby and found a teeming crowd waiting for the second feature. The manager came out into the lobby and apologized to us saying that nobody at the theater had actually seen this movie before and had booked it on the rumor that the daleks had a cult following. He agreed that the movie was so godawful that the rumor must have been a lie. 
----
Anyone else think this is Tennant's Doctor?
t is never explained, but isn't it possible that the 'other' Doctor, who went with Rose, could have had children and then Grandchildren whilst waiting for his coral to grow into a Tardis and then taken it back to 1963 and whilst waiting for repairs could have brought the story out the way that it was? 

It allows for the Doctor to be human, the story to pan our the way he knows it to be and even for the 8th Doctor's I'm half human thing to go on (if they somehow meet at some point - don't forget 8 had amnesia a lot which could be semi-congenital). 

Just a thought. 
---
Nah, he's an alternative reality version of Ecclestone's Doctor in the future. He used a fob-watch-thing to become human lived in Sixties Earth, made his way to Skaro and relived some of the adventures he had in his first incarnation. The other versions of the Doctor do not live in this universe and so it doesn't bump into his former selves. 
---
No,I think he's an alternate version of the First Doctor in a parallel universe,where he's from Earth and invents TARDIS,and where Barbara is also his grand -daughter and Susan is only about 10 years old at the time of this adventure.There's no more fanciful explanation required.
---
It was Doctor Who dumbed-down for foreign audiences (like here in the USA) who were unfamiliar with the BBC TV show. They dispensed with Hartnell's rather coarse, twisted character and made him into a lovable, absent-minded eccentric. Oddly enough, this was in the midst of Peter Cushing's fame as a mad scientist himself: he was the star of the long-running "Frankenstein" movie series. 
---
Regardless of it being dumbed down, there's no real reason this story still can't be made to tie this movie into regular continuity. 

And the Ten clone theory would work. Barbara and Susan from the Peter Cushing movie could be the grandchildren of Meta Crisis Doctor and Rose, and were named after the original Doctor's old companion and grandchild. Perhaps the Ten clone retained some of Ten's memories. 

Plus Cushing's character does look like he could be an elder Tennant. And nothing in this movie nor "Meta-Crisis" outright says the two CAN'T be placed in the same timeline. 
---
Actually it CAN to some degree. If it could be revealed that Cushing's Doctor was an older version of Ten's clone, (Who I shall refer to as "Who") and that Ten gave him a piece of Tardis coral, then that would mean it could only happen because of Ten's actions in this timeline. So by extention it IS tied to canon, as the creation of Ten's clone and him getting that piece of Coral ARE events that occur within OUR Doctor's personal timeline. So to that particular effect yes, it WOULD be considred canonical. 

This movie wouldn't be a DRIECT connection to the regular timeline. But it is as we know it because of people and their actions from the regular timeline. 
---
It couldn't work at all as Rose and the human Doctor were in a completely PARALLEL universe and they couldn't cross back over. If they could have, I don't think she would have taken the human doctor. She'd have stayed in her universe. Clearly none of you listen to him at all. The only times the two universes touch is when reality is being torn apart. I doubt it got torn apart a third time just so human Doctor and Rose could come screw like bunnies and have babies in their universe. 

LoL, stupid Americans. 

I don't really understand why a lot of Doctor Who fans seem to hate Moffat, some of the best episodes in recent years have been written by him and don't forget mark gatiss and steven moffat created the new Sherlock series.

I think RTD did a fantastic job to bring back Doctor Who and did a great job on torchwood, but I prefer Moffats episodes.

I'm bloody sad to see Matt smith go, he was my favourite doctor and I loved the dynamic between him and the ponds. (I may or may not have screamed and then started crying when I found out he was leaving..)

I can't wait to see how Capaldi takes on the role and what goes on between him and Clara, and I wonder if the relationship would change with River.. If they bring her back that is. (I wonder if Rose will ever make another appearance??)

And I also wanna see what a bad ass John hurt is, but then again I just can't wait until the 50th anniversary special!!

• Like 1
it just that I like to know which doctor had the best series???

Tom "answers-are-easy-it's-questions-that-are-difficult" Baker :)

ribosoperation.jpg

I've watched quite a few of these and he was excellent as the character. Sure the sets and effects were pretty crap but the stories were good and fun - and, of course, he introduced the sonic screwdriver :lol:

Does that mean she gets a hot young male assistant?? :wub:

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

I'm quite happy at the choice, but I myself need two other things to happen to be truly happy:

1) Can Moffat and bring back RTD

Helena Bonham Carter would be a fantastic Doctor. Helen Mirren would be pretty awesome too, but she might be considered a bit too old to follow Capaldi... I would also like to put Natalie Dormer up for nomination.

As for RTD, he did a good job of bringing back the series, but during his run Moffat's episodes were consistently the best ones and I think the man has done a great job throughout his run of the series. I want more episodes written by Neil Gaiman, myself. Maybe he should be the one to take over after Moffat? ;)

Tom "answers-are-easy-it's-questions-that-are-difficult" Baker :)

ribosoperation.jpg

I've watched quite a few of these and he was excellent as the character. Sure the sets and effects were pretty crap but the stories were good and fun - and, of course, he introduced the sonic screwdriver :lol:

Not so. The sonic screwdriver made its first appearance in 1968, during Patrick Troughton's tenure.

Of Classic Who I liked Jon Pertwee and Colin Baker the best, to be honest. Since it started up again I've been fickle. I loved Eccleston so much and pretty much flew into a rage when he went away, but then I got to know Tennant's Doctor and thought he was the best thing ever and no Doctor would ever be as good as him, and then came Matt and I hated him and then I loved him within the first two minutes of The Eleventh Hour. By fishfingers and custard I was utterly sold. (It was sort of like when Daniel Craig was cast as Bond, and I saw a picture and was like, wtf is this he looks like a Bond villain and didn't watch his movies, and then I caved and saw Skyfall because of Ben Wishaw and now Craig is the only true Bond for me even though I loved Sean Connery since I was like 8.)

Not so. The sonic screwdriver made its first appearance in 1968, during Patrick Troughton's tenure.

Aah, a true Whovian   :worship:  Just testing ;)

Of course, Tom Baker had the best and most magnificent voice of all the Doctors ...

would it be funny if jack tries to put moves on the new doctor and serenade him in a kilt

I found out he sings (DeLovely)

Perfect way to reintroduce everyone's favorite companion:  Captain Jack Harkness.

Edited by hh5

what about that other doctor that tennant met on christmas day?

was he in a previous series?

I don't really like spoiling plots for people, but suffice to say he wasn't a real Doctor. You'll have to watch the episode for more than that, it's all made perfectly clear.

well he would make a fine doctor compared to the other doctors

I don't really like spoiling plots for people, but suffice to say he wasn't a real Doctor. You'll have to watch the episode for more than that, it's all made perfectly clear.

well he would make a fine doctor compared to the other doctors

He's a fantastic actor for sure. Loved him in Blackpool, too. And in the most recent Sense & Sensibilities miniseries, where he played Colonel Brandon. Didn't think anyone could surpass Alan Rickman in that role, but David Morrissey could.