• 1 month later...

Missing Dr Who Episodes Found In Africa!!

Exciting item on tonight's news - at a TV station in Jos, Nigeria, the BBC has found some old film canisters containing 9 missing episodes of two vintage Dr Who stories not seen since they were broadcast in 1968. BBC restoration experts have worked for weeks restoring the old film. The stories - The Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World, sound really exciting and both star Patrick Troughton as The Doctor. Many of the BBC's TV programmes have been lost for ever. Nothing survives from the 1930s except for fragments, very little from the 1940s and much is missing from the 1950s to the 1970s. In the 1960s when video tape came in it was very expensive so the BBC routinely wiped programmes after they'd been transmitted so the tapes could be reused. No-one ever imagined that people would want to see stuff like this again. The 9 tapes means that 2 stories are now complete and available.

Here's the story:

Nine missing episodes of 1960s Doctor Who have been found at a TV station in Nigeria, including most of the classic story The Web of Fear. The black and white story sees Patrick Troughton's second Doctor battle robot yeti in the London Underground. Also recovered is a complete version of Troughton's six-part story The Enemy of the World. It is thought to be the largest haul of missing episodes recovered in the last three decades.

WHAT'S BEEN FOUND

• The Enemy of the World (1967-68) - episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6 (episode 3 was already in archive)
  • The Web of Fear (1968) - episodes 1,2,4,5,6 (episode 1 was already in archive - episode 3 still missing)

"It's thrilling," said Mark Gatiss, an actor and writer for the 21st Century incarnation of Doctor Who. "Every single avenue seemed to have been exhausted, every now and then something turns up - but to have two virtually complete stories out of the blue is absolutely incredible."

The BBC destroyed many of the sci-fi drama's original transmission tapes in the 1960s and 1970s. However, many episodes were transferred on to film for sale to foreign broadcasters. It is often these prints found in other countries that are the source of retrieved episodes. In this case, 11 Doctor Who episodes were discovered, nine of which were missing, in the Nigerian city of Jos. The find was made by Philip Morris, director of a company called Television International Enterprises Archive.

_70415994_70415993.jpg

Mr Morris said: "The tapes had been left gathering dust in a storeroom at a television relay station in Nigeria. I remember wiping the dust off the masking tape on the canisters and my heart missed a beat as I saw the words, Doctor Who. When I read the story code I realised I'd found something pretty special."

He said it had been a "lucky" find given the high temperatures in the African country. "Fortunately they had been kept in the optimum condition."

Only episode three of The Enemy of the World already existed in the BBC archive. The Nigerian discovery of episodes one, two, four, five and six complete the story. Episode one of fan favourite The Web of Fear existed, with the rest thought lost forever. Now episodes two, four, five and six have been recovered.

Episode three is still missing, but has been reconstructed from stills to enable restored versions of both stories to be made available for sale via download on Friday. The latest find means that the number of missing episodes of Doctor Who has dropped from 106 to 97.

_70416673_70416671.jpg

Actors Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling, who played Troughton's Tardis companions Jamie McCrimmon and Victoria Waterfield.

Episode one of The Enemy of the World is a James Bond-style thriller complete with an exploding helicopter, a hovercraft, gun-toting henchmen and a foreign-accented villain, Salamander (also played by Troughton). The story opens with the Tardis arriving on an Australian beach where the Doctor strips to his long johns and goes for a dip in the sea. The Web of Fear is a claustrophobic tale that sees the Doctor battle his old foe, the Great Intelligence, and the yeti in the tunnels of the London tube system.

"It's the quintessential Doctor Who story," said Gatiss. "It has the return of the Abominable Snowmen in an iconic location." He said it showed Troughton "at the height of his powers". Frazer Hines recalled that the underground station sets had been so realistic that London Transport accused the BBC of filming at a tube station in secret.

The story also featured an appearance by Deborah Watling's real-life father Jack, reprising his role as Professor Travers. Recalling Troughton's "wonderful sense of humour" on set, Watling said: "We all got on so well, we were like a family and Pat was always to me like another dad or an uncle. We had a chemistry and I think it showed."

How did she feel when she heard about the recovery of the lost episodes? "I couldn't quite believe it. There had been hoaxes before. I thought it was just another hoax."

Her only other complete story in the archive had been The Tomb of the Cybermen, all four instalments of which were discovered in Hong Kong in 1991. Hines said: "This now gives me hope that more stories of Patrick's will come out of the woodwork."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24467337

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It's going to be shown on TV and cinemas in 200 countries in 3D - 87 just in Australia!

Two tasty teasers :P

LONGER version of the second trailer. ;)

Edited by paya
  • Like 1

LONGER version of the second trailer. ;)

How did I miss that?! *gives self a smack!*

And in just 3 days time ... Prof Brian Cox BBC2 9.00pm "The Science of Doctor Who" on time travel "with experiments" :)

BBC rebuilds original TARDIS!

This is the original TARDIS from the feature length docudrama to be shown this week on Thursday 21 Nov 9.00pm on BBC2.

tardis-control-room-600x450.jpg

With vintage cameras and period colour tint they've really captured the feel of 60s shows

An-Adventure-in-Space-and-Time-barb.jpg

An-Adventure-in-Space-and-Time-hartnell-

The show tells the story of how Dr Who came to be made by the BBC's first ever female drama producer, Verity Lambert. Looks like the Beeb has spent decent money to make this a great show with Mark Gatiss [scriptwriter], Brian Cox [bourne Identity] and an excellent William Hartnell looky-likey

adventure.jpg

Now they've spent good money on the sets these could be re-used in future "multi-Doctor" stories

Then it will be just another two days for the 50th! :D:wizard:

unfortunatly they don't air this show in my country, a few years ago they did and I watched it and enjoyed it very much..  after that they aired Torchwood and I loved that one too !

:(:,(

Edited by slytherin

unfortunatly they don't air this show in my country, a few years ago they did and I watched it and enjoyed it very much..  after that they aired Torchwood and I loved that one too !

:(:,(

wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who#Viewership) lists countries that show it including Sweden:

BBC Entertainment

BBC HD

TV4 Guld

Kanal 9

SVT

but obviously it's out of date :(:,(

BBC America is showing the Doctor all this week.

The docdudrama (#59 above) is called "An Adventure In Space And Time" and BBC America is showing it on Friday 22 Nov.

The 50th anniversary special is being shown simultaneously worldwide in 75 countries on Saturday - so that's 2.50 pm Eastern, 11:50 am PST

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-worldwide-time-set-for-doctor-who-the-day-of-the-doctor-20131108,0,5722192.story#axzz2l7nnAYLR

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/bbc-america-to-simulcast-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-special

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

A cinema in Oslo is showing the 50th anniversary special. The tickets were sold out less than an hour after they were released, for both shows on the 23rd. So they put up extra shows on the 25th so Magpie and I are going and get to see it in 3D! :D Watching it on the 23rd as well, of course. BBC iPlayer with Hola Unblocker, baby. Hope the stream won't be super slow from all the people tuning in...

Any doctor who fans out there in the ga-iverse? :)

I just watched An Adventure in Space and Time and it was really good :) And the actors looked so similar to their counterparts. It was a story about the genesis and creation of Doctor Who 50 years ago :)

For Dr Who fans it's essential viewing :) The recreation of the TARDIS and the console was just beautiful

tardis24.JPG

and I loved seeing the Cybermen smoking in between takes :P Some parts were really sad as the role became more difficult for Hartnell to cope with, but there were some funny moments too. Hartnell famously fluffed his lines and I laughed out loud when the show included this line in the script: "Quickly, child! We're running out of time! Check the fault locator" and Hartnell gets it wrong and screams "Check the fornicator!" :funny:

It's being shown tomorrow night on BBC America so catch it if you can :)

Immediately afterwards the Beeb showed the whole of the very first series An Unearthly Child and then a new mini-show "The Night of the Doctor" with Paul McGann who "dies" at the end and then regenerates as the John Hurt doctor. I guess this is the link between the 1996 movie and the TV show timelines which will feature in the 50th anniversary show on Saturday... less than 36 hours to go!! :D

Edited by Zombie

Is it available on the iPlayer, Zombie?

Sadly no, but just google "An Unearthly Child" and you can find several postings on Dailymotion. Not looked for "The Night of the Doctor" mini episode - it may be there, or try google again.

FRIDAY 22 NOVEMBER CRITIC'S CHOICE: Me, You and Doctor Who: a Culture Show Special BBC Two, 9.30pm

This sounds good :)

“I actually think that Doctor Who is one of the most important things in our culture, one of the most rich and interesting things that has been made in our country.” These are the words of presenter Matthew Sweet, who pins his colours firmly to the mast from the outset. This Culture Show special is an hour-long hymn of praise to “Doctor Who’s greatest victory – how he became part of our culture, how he became indestructible, how he got inside your head”. It’s all good nerdy fun, especially in the first half-hour as Sweet beavers around busily in the archives for traces of the Doctor’s earliest origins – successfully uncovering a distant antecedent in a long forgotten 1957 stage play. Sweet meets pioneering directors, plays the theme tune mastertapes spliced together in the revolutionary BBC Radiophonic Workshop by Delia Derbyshire, explores The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’s Douglas Adams’s time as script editor. Among the contributors are playwright Mark Ravenhill, politician Ken Livingstone, psychotherapist Philippa Perry and writer Caitlin Moran. For Doctor Who diehards, this is an absolute must ahead of tomorrow’s epic 50th anniversary special.

Edited by Zombie

John Cleese in Doctor Who!

Classic scene from "City of Death" in the Tom Baker era with art critic John Cleese praising the TARDIS "exhibit" ...

I love the faintest beginnings of a corpsing smirk at the end :lol:

• Like 1