Dear all GA members,

Now that Prince George has been born we now know that we will have another king after William, Prince George is very young at the moment but when he reaches his teens how do you think the royal family would react if he turned out to be gay. I know that it is much easier for gay people to come out of the closet in this generation and more in the future, but what if a member of the royal family came out and said he was gay.

please send feedback and comment,

yours,

scotty 94

Let's see.   Elizabeth is in her late eighties and her mother lived beyond a century.  Prince Phillip is in his nineties.

Charles is in his mid sixties and can plan on at least another 25 years barring any unforeseen event.

William is young and can plan on at least 50-60 more years.

George is an infant and could be in his sixties or seventies and the crown may not be such a big deal by then.  Who can say?

And frankly, it isn't like there are not a host of "spares" if the next in line were considered ineligible.  

It's a long way off, but he could always use a noble-woman surrogate and artificial insemination, if he didn't want to leave the throne to the next in line, possibly a sibling.   

The royal family isn't stupid. They would either be completely supportive (publicly) or it would be covered up for various reasons and you'd never know about it.

In terms of succession, it's a moot point. There is a chain for a reason and it can easily account for a 'gay royal'.

Long story short though, I don't care. It doesn't matter to me what the royal family thinks of homosexuals, just like it doesn't matter to me what anyone thinks. They are entitled to their opinion and I am entitled to my private life.

ps I'm not trying to undermine or play down the fight for equality but my country recognizes and protects equal rights. Plus in some way I feel acknowledging a disparity is surrendering my ability to live my life freely.

• Like 4

It's not like Britain hasn't had gay kings before

- James I / VI was a pretty good monarch :P

- Richard II ... hmm, a pretty crap king

- Edward II ... er, that one did NOT end well :(:P

• Like 1

Daddy D is right. at this rate, William may never even end up being king at all. a whole line of Prince's, paid for by the state (and as a UK taxpayer, that's me) doing nothing but waiting for some old lady to die. don't get me wrong, i'm sure she's a nice old lady, but really? 

a baby has been born. hurrah well done to his parents. frankly m'dear, i just don't give a damn. i'm way more interested in my friend's new kid (he's 7 weeks old and never seems to cry, how cool is that?) because i actually know him and his parents.

• Like 1

Who cares?  Half the United States would probably stroke if we elected a gay President, and it didn't come to light until after the election.  After dancing for joy, I'd sit back and laugh my ass off at all the homphobic rednecks and assholes in my part of the country.  I'd probably just tell them that he was going to change the flag to the colors of the rainbow, to keep them going nuts.  :P  :funny:  :funny:  :funny:  :funny:  :funny:  :D

• Like 3

I never did understand what sexuality had to do with ability to lead. Sure the royal family has the continuation of the bloodlines to worry about, but honestly - other than that what the hell difference does it make whom a royal has in their bed. I do not believe that there has never been a back stairs relationship for either the men or women of the line, and am quite sure it will happen again in the future.

• Like 1
a whole line of Prince's, paid for by the state (and as a UK taxpayer, that's me) doing nothing but waiting for some old lady to die. don't get me wrong, i'm sure she's a nice old lady, but really?

Yes, it's irritating having to pay for creatures like this

article-2053510-0CDD271B00000578-925_224

On the upside, though, they do give us something to laugh at :P

princess-beatrice.jpg

... and The Ginger One to ogle at

hot-prince-harry-picture.jpg

On the other hand we currently pay £33m pa to Her Maj for all of 'em except Prince Charles and his brood who are funded by the Duchy of Cornwall estate. In return UK plc gets a hefty income from royalty-related tourism, increased "brand awareness" and trade deals across the world, and loads of useless-trinket manufacturers employ lots of people and sell this crap to grateful buyers all over the world, which all helps :lol: And yes there are travel and security costs - but you'd have to pay those for a Head of State anyway, like a President, and those costs are not exactly cheap ;)

So in purely financial terms it's a bit of a no-brainer as royalty really is quite a nice little earner :D

This brand site had a look at this a year or so ago

http://brandfinance.com/knowledge_centre/stories/how-we-valued-the-monarchy-as-a-brand-uk-tourism-contribution

And this trashy US website explains it quite well

"the royal family acts as a sort of charismatic megafauna for the entire royalty-tourism ecosystem" :P

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/07/is-the-british-royal-family-worth-the-money/278052/

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

On the other hand we currently pay £33m pa to Her Maj for all of 'em except Prince Charles and his brood who are funded by the Duchy of Cornwall estate. In return UK plc gets a hefty income from royalty-related tourism, increased "brand awareness" and trade deals across the world, and loads of useless-trinket manufacturers employ lots of people and sell this crap to grateful buyers all over the world, which all helps :lol: And yes there are travel and security costs - but you'd have to pay those for a Head of State anyway, like a President, and those costs are not exactly cheap ;)

So in purely financial terms it's a bit of a no-brainer as royalty really is quite a nice little earner

:D

oh i know all of this. doesn't mean i have to be pleased about it, or care to speculate about a ball pf wasted plasma that may or may not one day become a pointless figure head.

... and The Ginger One to ogle at

hot-prince-harry-picture.jpg

Enough said.

I wonder if they sell a floor rug with Prince Harry's face on it. It would be a lovely morning to start my day to look at his face as I crap at the loo and he's under my feet . . . telling me that "You can do it! Push! Push!" with that cheeky little smile of his.

• Like 1