Member Ranks and Reputation Levels

I will be serious with this suggestion: AJ has a good idea, keeping it simple, but I think a general poster/member ranking/Rep system is far too generic for GA.

GA needs something to distinguish us from other forums and sites:

Ranking by post count:

Real Welcoming- 0

Entertaining Readers- 100

Addressing Issues- 200

Directing Topics - 500

Established- 1,000

For Reputation:

Open Secrets- 0

Using Talent - 25

Read Often -50

Riveting - 100

Impressed- 500

Essential- ,1,000

Sourced- 5,000

--------------------------------------

Basically, my idea is to go back to the readers, editors, and writers of GA with something that is made for them. Keep It Simple Stupid is a fine concept, but we should also add a particular flavor to GA as well, in order to distinguish who we are as a community.

(Also, I put in another secret message on the ranking and reputation system, you can call it brainwashing members, but hey, what's the harm in that? :devil::D You can even combine pieces of them to make a command of members :o  )

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

also, as amusing as the kitty reference is, it's not the best place for that, I think we can be a bit more professional and move on.

I can say with perfect honesty that I have no idea what the kitty thing is about.

For the people who weren't here, what.... 6 years ago? 7? Something like that. Well, There was a member on GA called Kitty, remember her being pretty prominent. Drama happened (don't know all the details but certainly pretty dramatic) and she and another member broke away from GA to start their own writing forum called The Hub.

This then kicked off a massive bloody flame-war between the two sites which left neither side looking particularly good and only sorta settled into an incredibly uncomfortable situation where mentioning the others existence was a banning offence on either site. That ended when The Hub itself collapsed due to its own special brand of drama.

To be honest, I think the fact that it is still being mentioned is quite odd and including a reference to it in the scoring system like this looks.... pretty bitter.

In my opinion, I think remove all references to real members and events because they are almost all heavily dated. The Kitty Incident was years ago, 'cheat so good' is (apparently) a reference to an exploit that doesn't exist and Domluka... well, he hasn't been around for years. I appreciate an in-joke as much as the next person but rankings are not a place for time-specific jokes. They become dated.

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

The new Member Ranks and Reputation levels will be 'neutral' as far as mentioning members or buried history.

Reputation is handy to see who is an active participant in the community... hence... Reputation.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I think writing reviews should count more towards reputations.  We want to reward good behavior.

I agree - I'm just no sure on the mechanics of how to do that. What would you suggest - a "Like" button on reviews? I don't know how practical that would be, but I think it's worthwhile thinking about.

• Like 1

I don't know where I read it, but I seem to remember that somebody said that the forum software does not currently allow for likes on Stories reviews, and that the software is different for e-books vs. stories. But then in another place, somebody asked about editing reviews and replies to reviews and I believe I remember reading that it was something that might come in an update to the forum software, so maybe along with that change, there's a possibility once the forum software is updated, but not until then?

0 – Meh, If It Happens, It Happens!

25 – A Little More Kick Ass

50 – I Make This Look Easy

100 – Put An Obstacle In Front Of Me And I’ll Clear It!

200 – People Really Like Me

500 – Like Me Baby One More Time

1000 – I Would Like To Thank The Academy

2500 – Catch Me If You Can

5000 – Spank Me, I’m Awesome

7500 – I should Own Stock In This Place

10000 – Maybe I Should Publish

I fully endorse this list.

Not sure I have any suggestions at this point but I just wanted to say thanks, A.J., for this topic. I hadn't come across an explanation until now as to how the ranks and reputations were assigned or accomplished. As a diehard Domaholic I particularly liked the "My Name is DomLuka" reputation! Thanks again for the explanation. (BTW, for future reference, where are these listings posted on GA?)

Edited by mickey1952
  • 2 weeks later...

We want to reward good behavior.

I agree 

Odd -  suddenly there are member titles not on the "member title list" that have been applied to some of us.  Do you really think calling someone a "chatty member" is encouraging their participation?  Perhaps its regional, but where I was raised calling someone "chatty" is pretty much telling them they should shut up!

• 11 months later...

As a newbie here, I'm wondering if merely changing the field names would be more descriptive.  (Yeah, I've wrestled with what "Member Ranking" and "Reputation Level" really meant! I started reading the stories first well before any other involvement.)

Am I too late to this party?

Perhaps field name change to something like "Member Activity" to reflect posts, and "Likes Received" instead of "reputation level". 

I think, too, some of the rankings used should be consolidated.  For example, for member ranking:

5 - Confirmed Member

25 - Active Member

75 - Vetted Member

100 - Trusted Member

500 - Opinion Maker

1000 - ?

Obviously, the titles need work, but you get the idea.

I'm just wishing there were a way to somehow give credit to members for the likes they provide to others, or even the stories they follow.  I may follow discussions in the forums, and not comment, but simply "like" others' comments.  You'd never know I'd been involved in the discussion, simply because I agreed with what someone else said more elequently.  And sure there are folks that follow stories, and await updates, but don't necessarily "like" 'em, or otherwise comment.