I was really saddened to hear this. Some of my favorite books are written by him, including Red Storm Rising, The Hunt For Red October, and my favorite, The Cardinal of the Kremlin. Its too bad most of his stuff after The Bear and the Dragon was crappy, but I have a feeling he just lent his name to a ghost writer for everything after that. 

Anyway rest in peace Mr. Clancy. You have been and always will be the master of geo-political technothrillers. 

Edited by TetRefine
  • Like 1

I was really saddened to hear this. Some of my favorite books are written by him, including Red Storm Rising, The Hunt For Red October, and my favorite, The Cardinal of the Kremlin. Its too bad most of his stuff after The Bear and the Dragon was crappy, but I have a feeling he just lent his name to a ghost writer for everything after that.

Anyway rest in peace Mr. Clancy. You have been and always will be the master of geo-political technothrillers.

I think you're right about the ghost writing. Red Storm Rising was my fave

• Like 1

I read his first 6-7 books and then the writing fell off in my opinion.  

The part that bothered me the most in the reports was the fact that he died at age 66 which is my age.   Of course some of the reports noted his favorite Merit Menthol cigs and I quit smoking at the end of 1972......

• Like 2

Clancy more or less defined a new sub-genre called the techno-thriller.

His books include explanations on how the technological wizardry of military and spy-gadgets actually work.

If you read his books you'll learn a lot about how spies, the military and goverenment are supposed to work.

This genera has spread and a ton of authors have been heavily influenced by Clancy. Brad Thor, Pat Robinson, Larry Bond, Jonathan Maberry, Michael Cricton, Clive Cussler and many others write tecchno-thrillers.

Some hallmarks of his work are his scenes, transitions, time-lines and addressing technical issues and questions.

My own work has been influenced by Clancy and my most memorable praise for In the Shadow of the Dragon was it being called Clancy-esque.

He in my opinions should be remembered as one of the Greatest writer of the late 20th Century.

In a way, he indirectly led me to GA :o

I've been reading his books and watching those movies for years. Then, I came upon DK's Do Over series and I was hooked to GA. Things have changed over the years, but it was Tom Clancy writing style that DK held a piece of in hist original Do Over series that made me want to read GA stories and write for you guys now.

R.I.P Tom Clancy

Clancy more or less defined a new sub-genre called the techno-thriller.

His books include explanations on how the technological wizardry of military and spy-gadgets actually work.

If you read his books you'll learn a lot about how spies, the military and goverenment are supposed to work.

This genera has spread and a ton of authors have been heavily influenced by Clancy. Brad Thor, Pat Robinson, Larry Bond, Jonathan Maberry, Michael Cricton, Clive Cussler and many others write tecchno-thrillers.

Some hallmarks of his work are his scenes, transitions, time-lines and addressing technical issues and questions.

My own work has been influenced by Clancy and my most memorable praise for In the Shadow of the Dragon was it being called Clancy-esque.

I love pat Robinson, and Clive Cussler (both have to do with ships :P )

I am pretty sure i've never read Larry Bond, or Brad Thor...

I might have read Michael Cricton

A List of Clancy's Major Works

The Hunt for Red October

Red Storm Rising

Patriot Games

The Cardinal of the Kremlin

Clear and Present Danger

Sum of All Fears

Without Remorse

Debt of Honor

Executive Orders

Rainbow Six

The Bear and the Dragon

Red Rabbit

Teeth of the Tiger

Against All Enemies

Dead or Alive

Threat Vector

Locked On

Command Authority (debuts in December)

• Like 1

I'd have to say I was a shocked to hear about this. I've read some of his books. But the one thing that caught my attention especially in my timeline is when his influence extended to video games and having played his splinter cell series, he will be known to our generation as the man who brought "Sam Fisher" to life. War and espionage genre's were never my thing, until I learned to love it with much candor. And because Sam Fisher is hot . . . I just want to say Sam Fisher is hot.