Spiders and Humans

In some locations such as Cambodia Spiders are considered to be a delicacy. People will hunt them in order to create various types of dishes with them. It isn’t fully known which of the species they will use and what they will avoid.

There are also people that love to keep exotic creatures such as Spiders as pets. Tarantula is one species that seems to be very fitting of this. Yet these creatures aren’t met to be in captivity and they can become very aggressive if they are in stressful living conditions.

@Bill W @Drew Espinosa

I am going to go out on a limb here and venture that neither of you are part of the two groups mentioned above:whistle:

:cowboy:

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, sandrewn said:

Spiders and Humans

In some locations such as Cambodia Spiders are considered to be a delicacy. People will hunt them in order to create various types of dishes with them. It isn’t fully known which of the species they will use and what they will avoid.

There are also people that love to keep exotic creatures such as Spiders as pets. Tarantula is one species that seems to be very fitting of this. Yet these creatures aren’t met to be in captivity and they can become very aggressive if they are in stressful living conditions.

@Bill W @Drew Espinosa

I am going to go out on a limb here and venture that neither of you are part of the two groups mentioned above:whistle:

Definitely not.  If I had to rely on spiders as food, I'd become a vegetarian, and as far as a pet, I think I'll still to dogs and cats.  

• Haha 2

@Bill W

f91d8ae5-86cd-487e-b0b4-6f6905ce20d4-AFP

What would you do if this was in YOUR neighborhood? 
..................................................................................................
My answer was, RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following was was an actual event that occurred, but my personal reaction to it would have been the same, RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

The Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant

This might just be the worst spider infestation of all time. In 2009, the Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant called for help for an "extreme spider" problem. When they said extreme, they really meant it. Almost four acres of the property was completely coated in spider web. Scientists who studied the event estimated there were over 107 million spiders living there, with over 35 thousand spiders per cubic meter in spots.

If you're still in doubt about whether or not you should give this a Google image search, maybe a quote from the local paper could help you decide:

"We were unprepared for the sheer scale of the spider population and the extraordinary masses of both three dimensional and sheet-like webbing that blanketed much of the facility’s cavernous interior... Far greater in magnitude than any previously recorded aggregation of orb-weavers, the visual impact of the spectacle was was nothing less than astonishing. In places where the plant workers had swept aside the webbing to access equipment, the silk lay piled on the floor in rope-like clumps as thick as a fire hose.”

Edited by sandrewn
corrections
  • Wow 3
1 hour ago, sandrewn said:

@Bill W

f91d8ae5-86cd-487e-b0b4-6f6905ce20d4-AFP

What would you do if this was in YOUR neighborhood? 
..................................................................................................
My answer was, RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following was was an actual event that occurred, but my personal reaction to it would have been the same, RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

The Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant

This might just be the worst spider infestation of all time. In 2009, the Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant called for help for an "extreme spider" problem. When they said extreme, they really meant it. Almost four acres of the property was completely coated in spider web. Scientists who studied the event estimated there were over 107 million spiders living there, with over 35 thousand spiders per cubic meter in spots.

If you're still in doubt about whether or not you should give this a Google image search, maybe a quote from the local paper could help you decide:

"We were unprepared for the sheer scale of the spider population and the extraordinary masses of both three dimensional and sheet-like webbing that blanketed much of the facility’s cavernous interior... Far greater in magnitude than any previously recorded aggregation of orb-weavers, the visual impact of the spectacle was was nothing less than astonishing. In places where the plant workers had swept aside the webbing to access equipment, the silk lay piled on the floor in rope-like clumps as thick as a fire hose.”

It's time to dig out the flame thrower.  Yikes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Researchers Found A 100 Million-Year-Old Spider And Its Meal Encased In Amber

Researchers Found A 100 Million-Year-Old Spider And Its Meal Encased In Amber

Roughly 100 million years ago, spiders were just as terrifying as they are now. Need proof? How about this piece of amber that was discovered with a perfectly preserved spider inside. The spider was in the middle of consuming a juvenile wasp when both predator and prey were engulfed in tree sap. This particular species of wasp preys on spider eggs, so the wasp might have had it coming in this situation. 

The fossilized amber was found in Myanmar. It's the only example of a spider fossilized during a hunt.

It may not be a comforting thought to you, but but I think that "THEY" will still be around when we (humans) are long gone.

• Wow 4
7 hours ago, sandrewn said:

Roughly 100 million years ago, spiders were just as terrifying as they are now. Need proof?

Need proof??

to find out that spiders are bigger now than they’ve ever been?! image.gif.11285eead3ca9e135b7a40107173c60f.gif :o :(

his girl “Zombie” is kinda cute though… :funny:

7 hours ago, sandrewn said:

It may not be a comforting thought to you, but but I think that "THEY" will still be around when we (humans) are long gone.

no

no that’s not comforting

that’s not comforting at all :angry: :funny:

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
10 hours ago, Zombie said:

Need proof??

to find out that spiders are bigger now than they’ve ever been?! image.gif.11285eead3ca9e135b7a40107173c60f.gif :o :(

his girl “Zombie” is kinda cute though… :funny:

no

no that’s not comforting

that’s not comforting at all :angry: :funny:

Who the hell would want to keep a spider as a pet?  What does he feed it, the bratty neighborhood kids? 

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Bill W said:

Who the hell would want to keep a spider as a pet?  What does he feed it, the bratty neighborhood kids? 

Years ago on this thread, someone shared a YouTube video of a Goliath Bird Eating Spider being fed a mouse... 😣

• Wow 3
  • Sad 2

Did you know?

There’s A Tarantula Named After Johnny Cash

Most people will not be aware that there is a newly discovered tarantula named after Johnny Cash. Named Aphonopelma johnnycashi after the famous country singer, the tarantula features several characteristics that led researchers to give it "the Man in Black"'s monikor. Its furry black coat reminded the discoverers of Cash's signature black wardrobe. Furthermore, it lives near the Folsom State Prison in California, the location that inspired one of Cash's hit songs.

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
2 hours ago, sandrewn said:

Did you know?

Most people will not be aware that there is a newly discovered tarantula named after Johnny Cash. Named Aphonopelma johnnycashi after the famous country singer, the tarantula features several characteristics that led researchers to give it "the Man in Black"'s monikor. Its furry black coat reminded the discoverers of Cash's signature black wardrobe. Furthermore, it lives near the Folsom State Prison in California, the location that inspired one of Cash's hit songs.

I'm sure the tarantula was honored, but what did Johnny think of his namesake?  Personally, it would have given me the creeps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare (Official Audio) - YouTube

Ear Spider Infestation

Spiders living in someone's ear might sound like an urban legend, and many of the pictures you'll find of the supposed condition are doctored. However, there are recorded cases of spiders being found lodged in the ears of both humans and animals.

Spiders don't typically seek out ears, noses, or mouths to crawl into. But when it does happen, the accounts are genuinely unnerving. People describe the scratching sounds they hear as the spider tries to move, and mention unexplained headaches and ear pain. Even though it's very unlikely to ever happen to you, it's awful to think about.

• Wow 3
12 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare (Official Audio) - YouTube

Ear Spider Infestation

Spiders living in someone's ear might sound like an urban legend, and many of the pictures you'll find of the supposed condition are doctored. However, there are recorded cases of spiders being found lodged in the ears of both humans and animals.

Spiders don't typically seek out ears, noses, or mouths to crawl into. But when it does happen, the accounts are genuinely unnerving. People describe the scratching sounds they hear as the spider tries to move, and mention unexplained headaches and ear pain. Even though it's very unlikely to ever happen to you, it's awful to think about.

Although I've never heard of a spider crawling into a person's ear, I don't doubt it, because I read about a woman who went to the hospital because she had something moving around in her ear.  In her case, it turned out to be a cockroach.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 2