Life after Microsoft kills XP?

hh5

Its been announced that April 8th is the death of XP

* No Windows Update which I think includes Security Essentials not sure if SE Update will work

win-xp-infographic.jpg

78.5% of the users don't use IE so they wouldn't need any IE updates right?

Even if Security Essentials stop updating then users will flock over to other Free Security Packages.

Of course the free world would love XP to go public source code so that the user base will keep XP alive but Microsoft wouldn't like that.

so the good question is how many will keep XP running after April 8th?

What effect will this have on computers using XP?  Will those computers not work or have numerous problems because of this?  Just curious.  

it sounds like Microsoft will drop support which will leave XP users open to viruses that won't get patched with security updates and new software won't be compatible. It will force the operating system into obsolescence for many users and force them to purchase new. Private users may not be as affected as much depending on their individual usage, but businesses would likely require upgrades.

Edited by Mann Ramblings

On the other end, Microsoft and hardware dealers are having to re-release Windows 7 because users don't want Winblows 8.

It seems that Windoze 8 is ugly and its mother dressed it funny.  :gikkle:

• Like 3

I run Windows 7 and have found it a good operating system.  Windows 8 may be fine for a desktop that has a touchscreen but I haven't seen one practical advantage to it for users who don't like sticky, smeared screens and won't have a touch screen for their main computer.  The sale of desktop computers and laptops running Microsoft have dropped tremendously since Windows 8 was released.  There's a reason why the OEM's are again starting to sell computers with Windows 7 preloaded.  

Unfortunately I bought stock in Microsoft years ago and I should have bought Apple or Samsung.......

On the other end, Microsoft and hardware dealers are having to re-release Windows 7 because users don't want Winblows 8.

It seems that Windoze 8 is ugly and its mother dressed it funny.  :gikkle:

and it doesn't work and play well with others! Had to get a newer printer because my perfectly fine old printer doesn't have an appropriate drive software update.

I'm running windows 8.1 and it's fine, I've got a start menu replacement running, and with it, it goes to the desktop, no need to use the touch interface at all. And MS is scrambling a bit to find a good way to reintegrate the start menu. It actually improved performance on my 6 year old laptop. I like windows 7 too, but 8 isn't torture.

Windows XP will be around for a long time for systems that don't change or don't need the Internet. I have customers that use it in point of sale and shop floor systems that are dedicated to specific software, there's no reason to upgrade those.

XP won't stop working, it just won't be kept up to date after April 8th. Don't let vulnerable systems on the Internet and run a good firewall and it will be fine for years to come.

In a way I wish M$ would release windows XP source code so that support could continue in a community driven way since a majority of people still use it but what can you do. I'll stick to my Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 8 only if I absolutely have to.

*Edit to add*

I also forgot to mention that the Migration from XP to Win7 at my job has not been fun at all...

Edited by Phantom

from my experience, there is nothing wrong with Win7, it's basically XP but shinier. after the debacle that was Vista (I know) and now the new issues of 8 being absolutely and totally appalling, i thinkit's right that they drop support for XP so they can focus on fixing whatever the hell went wrong at headquarters that allowed two shite OS's to be released to the general public. it's time, everyone will just have to cope or go "off grid" and use linux. 

Edit: i don't use linux and have no intention of doing so. my husband says I'm weak for sticking with corporation software. no judgement, but he's a bit strong willed when it comes to software.

Edited by Sasha Distan

it sounds like Microsoft will drop support which will leave XP users open to viruses that won't get patched with security updates and new software won't be compatible. It will force the operating system into obsolescence for many users and force them to purchase new. Private users may not be as affected as much depending on their individual usage, but businesses would likely require upgrades.

XP was already  obsolete, it was obsolete emedietly after windows Vista or 7 came out, we'll say 7 since it came out after Vista... this is not to say that the new systems are better, just that the older system became obsolete when the newer ones came out. after all reciprocating engines became obsolete after the Turbine, and Steam after Deisel...

For switching to Linux
http://betanews.com/2014/01/30/windows-xp-home-users-should-upgrade-to-linux-not-windows-8-1/

Against switching to Linux
http://betanews.com/2014/01/31/from-windows-xp-to-linux-youd-have-to-be-mad/

I'll probably stick with XP and avast for a while, but I like the idea that Linux has been around for years - has anyone here actually done the switch? And what about all the basic essential tools like printer drivers, router connection, Firefox and plugins?

Yes, Win7 is an option (still selling until Oct2014) and it also has an option to Visualize XP Mode. You can still run your old apps.

I run XP in VMWare. XP has a small foot print so I like it for certain apps when I was running a core duo.

Now that I'm on an i7 ... I may experiment to Win81 or Win7 under VMWare.

There's one thing on VMWare new features (making use of tablet features) I don't see the advancement? unless they meant it to be used on TouchScreen Laptop??

But for those who really want to keep using XP, experts offer this advice:

First, be sure to use an updated anti-malware program; some experts recommend using two, since one may find things the other misses. Microsoft Security Essentials is a free anti-malware program that you can download now; you won't be able to download the XP version after April 8, although Microsoft says it will distribute updates for an unspecified time.

Second, switch to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox for Web browsing. Both will continue to work with XP and have the latest browser security features. The two most recent versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer won't work with XP, while older versions of Explorer don't work as well with newer websites.

Finally, stick to trusted websites and avoid using an XP computer for online banking, shopping or anything involving sensitive information. Better still, disconnect from the Internet and just use the computer for word-processing, spread sheets or games that are already installed on your machine.

While those steps may reduce the risk, "our advice is to upgrade," said Richard Yom, owner of the PC Clinic repair shop in San Jose. Still, he acknowledged, "some people will wait as long as they can."

Follow this reporter at Twitter.com/BrandonBailey or google.com/+BrandonBaileyOnline or on Facebook at http://on.fb.me/ULIOfb

OPTIONS FOR XP USERS

If you must keep using XP: Make sure you've got updated anti-malware programs, use Chrome or Firefox to browse the Web, and don't store or transmit sensitive information on your PC. Better still, disconnect from the Internet and only use software that's already installed.
Consider upgrading to Windows 7 or 8, but be advised: Windows 7 is getting harder to find, and older computers may lack the memory and processing power to support Windows 8.
Maybe it's time to buy a new computer: Check out the new Windows-based PCs, or maybe a Mac or Chromebook (which use operating systems from Apple and Google).

For smaller budgets, consider a tablet.

Edited by hh5
  • Like 1

For switching to Linux

http://betanews.com/2014/01/30/windows-xp-home-users-should-upgrade-to-linux-not-windows-8-1/

Against switching to Linux

http://betanews.com/2014/01/31/from-windows-xp-to-linux-youd-have-to-be-mad/

I'll probably stick with XP and avast for a while, but I like the idea that Linux has been around for years - has anyone here actually done the switch? And what about all the basic essential tools like printer drivers, router connection, Firefox and plugins?

My hubby is a full on Linux user, I gather that all the drivers and stuff can be found. Ideally, you need yourself a geek to talk you through the process. Mine is available for hire.

• Like 1

None of this really matters to me as I have been using Mac since I was 16 and bought my first laptop, and got rid of my old Windows desktop a couple of years later. I do sometimes use Magpie's Windows computer to play games on, though. 

I remember XP, and I liked it well enough. I never really had to deal with Vista, thank God. Magpie's computers are on Windows 7 and I think it's the best Windows system yet, purely from the user-friendliness perspective. I've tried Windows 8 and it's really confusing. :P

lol, I find macs confusing, lol

but then linux isn't user friendly, 

I remember testing suse n upon shut down it froze so what can I do but shut it off

lol, my friend said I should have serial terminal in to shut it down

lol like I have an extra serial terminal available

anyway suse was destroyed ... well I didn't trust its automated self repair

None of this really matters to me as I have been using Mac since I was 16 and bought my first laptop, and got rid of my old Windows desktop a couple of years later. I do sometimes use Magpie's Windows computer to play games on, though. 

I remember XP, and I liked it well enough. I never really had to deal with Vista, thank God. Magpie's computers are on Windows 7 and I think it's the best Windows system yet, purely from the user-friendliness perspective. I've tried Windows 8 and it's really confusing. :P

lol, I find macs confusing, lol

but then linux isn't user friendly, 

I remember testing suse n upon shut down it froze so what can I do but shut it off

lol, my friend said I should have serial terminal in to shut it down

lol like I have an extra serial terminal available

anyway suse was destroyed ... well I didn't trust its automated self repair

Ubuntu is the most user friendly Linux version in my experience. Friendly UI, you can get around without being a programmer, and it's pretty, too. :P One of the library computers at the school I went to last year ran Ubuntu, and I would always choose that one if I needed to use the internet or print something and didn't have my laptop with me. The other two were running, yes, you guessed it, XP. :P

Microsoft may end antivirus updates on XP in April, Avira will not
The support for Windows XP will end as communicated by Microsoft on April 8th, 2014.
A spokesperson issued the following statement to Larry Seltzer of ZDNet:
Microsoft will not guarantee updates of our antimalware signature and engine after the XP end of support date of April 8, 2014.[...]
What does this mean for the XP users?
The free Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer going to protect the users with new signatures. It is still unknown how exactly will the product react, but most probably it will simply remain for ever up to date. This is the worse scenario actually, because the user will not be aware that he is using an outdated antivirus product.

What is the alternative?
The best alternative is, of course, Avira Free Antivirus which continues to be supported by Avira one year after the main stream support offered by Microsoft for the operating system ends. Avira Free Antivirus runs on Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), Windows XP SP2 (64-bit) and requires a computer with minumum 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended).
Do not forget that the best way to stay away from troubles is to have up to date software, especially an up to date operating system. Unfortunately, since Microsoft will not patch security vulnerabilities of XP anymore, there will be other problems arising. Malware authors will target more and more from now on this operating system, knowing that any vulnerability they find will remain there for good. This is why we strongly recommend to migrate from XP as soon as possible.
But, as long as you are stuck on XP because of legacy software, you can count on any Avira product to protect you.

• 3 weeks later...

so has anyone abandon their XP?

I just tried out 8.1 (in simulation), I have tried out 8.0 and 8.1 is much better in terms of the tiles.

Right clicking the start gives me access to stuff that was once served by XP

Shut down n search easier to find

This is what should have been released more than one year ago but because MS decided to use an accounting measure to deploy its software

It doesn't realize they're shooting themselves in the foot by not considering what is usable to the user

I have been reading around about how win8\tablet supports GPS ... it really doesn't ... and that doesn't make me a buyer

Apple too expensive .. so Android is a way to go ... but gosh 7in might be too small for old eyes ... 12in be nice but can be expensive

gosh HTC to make Nexus tables ... they might not give Qi Wireless charging ... it sounds like google choosing to rotate support of tech companies

other wise they should have stayed w samsung or asus

Edited by hh5

so I found by popular likes Avast is better than Aviral ... so I installed that on my mom XP

Wow, Chrome announced on its browser will one day no longer support XP

An official announcement last Oct I think said Apr 2015 at least they would support

its hard to say are they changing their word

Its difficult to see if Mozilla will continue to support XP

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I use mac at home, and with $19 (and since last year, now free) OS upgrade, I'm running the most recent OS.

However, for almost a year now, at work, I've been the prime for all of "my" call centers/support groups migration from XP to Win7. Overall our migration has been completed at 85%.

I can attest on how much work it is for a company to complete the switch ; Validation/testing that all applications used will still be working, creation of different images with application grouping for different departments; figuring out how the migration will be done on the surprisingly high amount of workstation to reduce impact on activities; support after migration....

I can't remember when was the last time I've done a week of 37.5hours because of that. 

I made the switch to Ubuntu (13.10) and don't regret it. Keep in mind that it's for an ancient HP laptop that I only use for writing, surfing the web and doing statistics (with R - still trying to get SPSS to work). Like Thorn Wilde said it's a really sleek looking OS that runs a lot smoother than XP - as long as you can install all the programs you need which isn't that big a problem as there are many Open Source alternatives for almost anything. Also, there's a program/emulator called WINE for opening some .exe files. I see many Ubuntu users at my uni who run it on their little netbooks and are very happy with it.

If being able to play a wide varity games is important to you, Ubuntu isn't the best choice, to be honest.

On the other hand I was quite surprised to find so many modern indie games in my Steam library that are Linux compatible. Most require much better hardware than the average XP machine, though.

Greets,

Blackguard

Edited by Blackguard
  • Like 1

Your link isn't good apparently.

Microsoft is trying to sell more and avoid making people mad at the same time.  I like 7 fine, it's not a lot different from XP really, and a little change don't hurt anything.   Besides, XP seemed to have more holes in it than anything else.  That's mostly why they needed to keep pumping out updates all the time.  I suppose eventually 7 will end up the same way.  Most stuff does I guess. 

It seems that most people get used to whatever they use for the longest time, so moving to something new is something they want to avoid.  Speech recognition is what I think is going to be the next thing that's used all over the place.  I could be wrong too, it might be something else.  I'm sure someone has something on the bench waiting to dazzle us.  I can't wait to see it, but I suppose I have no choice.  I just hope it's not from Microsoft, I'm not one of Bill Gates fans.

Well my mom XP computer is one of those AMD type PCs (Compaq)... the ones that can give potential upgrade hell like the athlon w weird chipsets

I figured I got a lot of old PC spare parts prior to my laptop days and can google to see what I should watch out for if I attempt to upgrade

The purpose of this simple upgrade is to see if her computer will run Win7 well while skipping vista or win8 and keeping XP alive should we need it or not

My mom is cheap about computers since she doesn't really value it as the tool of choice

I have no intention of doing an OS upgrade ... I'm doing a new install update

She doesn't have any apps that needs to be migrated over

This is also a simpler way of keeping MS Security Essentials alive

This is certainly a zero cost method without telling her all the mumbo jumbo of why to buy a new computer

After a couple of hours of trial n error while watching TV I got this old AMD to accept the terms of the upgrade

It certainly does run better on Win 7 than XP ... sure it could use a duo core lol .. but it ain't going to get one

The results ... its been an easy experience compared to the athlons but prior experience does help

Chrome says it will not support the hardware on this computer .,.. so its not about XP

I am testing out how long does an old 80gb hard drive will last before it goes poof

which also means I will have to backup an image of the system on its old drive

sure I have other hard drives in better condition but hey I wasn't giving this experience the goods of the deed

now that it does work .... it would be a nice experience to updating another image later and restore to a better condition hard drive

I also had fun updating my old dell E1705 to Win8.1 Plus from Win8 from Win7 from Vista from XP

My brother wishes to use it in our project ... so its nice to kick it around since its a core duo

we'll make it work harder than the amd pc my mom uses for simple internet