• Site Moderator

Has anyone considered the possibility that he doesn't like the song? I'm just curious. I'm not going to confirm one way or another what happens next. :) I just wonder if anyone has thought that it might cause a negative reaction.

What if he never hears the song? Has anyone thought of that? No, I'm kidding. ;) It would be terrible of me to not have that happen.

Of course, I am the devil, so anything is possible.  :devil:

Silas not like it? As much as he likes the band, I doubt it.

• Like 1

Has anyone considered the possibility that he doesn't like the song? I'm just curious. I'm not going to confirm one way or another what happens next. :) I just wonder if anyone has thought that it might cause a negative reaction.

What if he never hears the song? Has anyone thought of that? No, I'm kidding. ;) It would be terrible of me to not have that happen.

Of course, I am the devil, so anything is possible.  :devil:

There's  no way I'll even entertain the idea of Silas having a negative reaction to that song. No way.... 

• Like 3

And no, you hadn't mentioned a sequel until the reply to my review. I think that's great news.  :)

I mentioned it on someone else's review. :) I've been trying to sneak it in there every once in awhile. I don't want people to lose track of the story, but I want them to know that there is more.

There's  no way I'll even entertain the idea of Silas having a negative reaction to that song. No way.... 

I suppose we'll all just have to wait and see how he reacts, won't we? :) Well, I won't have to wait, but no spoilers!

• Like 2

Silas not like it? As much as he likes the band, I doubt it.

Well, I thought it might depend on when he heard the song and what his circumstances are. Drake is a very private person, and he might not appreciate having his troubles broadcasted, even in this fairly non-descriptive way.

In fact my main worry isn't the song itself but Brady's insistence the dedication has to be included. If the song becomes a hit (as we all expect), and the band gets interviewed at some point, the media (perhaps just in the shape of online music magazines) will ask about Silas. If it catches their fancy, he might find himself or at least his name 'famous' overnight. NOT something you want, if you're running away and trying to keep a low profile.

So if Silas has stopped running and hiding, he'll probably be OK with or even thrilled about the song. If not... :pinch:

You're so sweet.

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator

Well, I thought it might depend on when he heard the song and what his circumstances are. Drake is a very private person, and he might not appreciate having his troubles broadcasted, even in this fairly non-descriptive way.

In fact my main worry isn't the song itself but Brady's insistence the dedication has to be included. If the song becomes a hit (as we all expect), and the band gets interviewed at some point, the media (perhaps just in the shape of online music magazines) will ask about Silas. If it catches their fancy, he might find himself or at least his name 'famous' overnight. NOT something you want, if you're running away and trying to keep a low profile.

So if Silas has stopped running and hiding, he'll probably be OK with or even thrilled about the song. If not... :pinch:

You're so sweet.

Well, they'd have to find him first before it was an actual problem. There are a limited number of people there who know his name. Adam, Tara, Chelsea, and Officer Higgins are the only ones outside family that we are aware of that have heard his name. It's been weeks since Higgins heard it that one time so she's a wild card. I somewhat doubt he was ever reported as a runaway given the circumstances before he left home and he's with an older sibling. Plus he's not the only Silas Drake.

But looking at it from that viewpoint, he just might get a little pissed.

• Like 1

I would love to hear the lyrics set to music.l actually thought like Tim. Silas might not like his business spread all over. However, the lyrics are not too specific and I'm sure the band won't tell anyone more than it's written for a very dear friend.

• Like 2

I would love to hear the lyrics set to music.l actually thought like Tim. Silas might not like his business spread all over. However, the lyrics are not too specific and I'm sure the band won't tell anyone more than it's written for a very dear friend.

sorry to contradict you, but:

Chapter 6

Jack turned around and put the microphone to his lips and said to the crowd, “All right, looks like we’ve got time for one more!”

The cheer that reached them was enough to almost render Jack speechless, but he collected himself quickly and began speaking again, “This next song goes out to our dear friend, Silas Drake. Wherever you are, brother, we’re thinking about you.”

Chapter 9

The use of his real name brought him back to reality, and he looked at Jack and nodded before turning to Tim. “The dedication has to be included in the song.”

“The dedication?” Tim asked.

“Yes, to Silas Drake,” Brady clarified. “He’s going to hear that song someday, and it’ll help him find his way home. That’s why I wrote it, and if the dedication isn’t there then there is no deal.”

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

Ok, but a name doesn't lead journalists to him. It's unusual, but not totally unique.

Or Silas throws a fit and tells them to go to hell. Nah, I don't think so...

Oh right, now I get what you mean. But as a matter of fact the band cannot tell anything but the name of Silas and the fact he's roaming the world on his own, because Drake never trusted any of them enough to tell why he'd run away. (Or at least that's my impression.) 

I think you're right about the journalists initially, but my point was something else - and you can go read AC Benus' story Dignity to see what I mean about becoming 'famous for being a runaway'.

So say that Silas Drake becomes a name people associate with the song and the band. There is speculation about who he is and where and why etc. Of course his family and friends in Crow's Lake won't betray him, since they know he might run if they do.

Worst case scenario Drake leaves anyway - now he cannot use his real name anymore for fear people will ask him: "Drake? as in Silas Drake the Navigator?" How do you think that will make him feel towards the band and in particular Brady ? :no:

• Like 2

Oh right, now I get what you mean. But as a matter of fact the band cannot tell anything but the name of Silas and the fact he's roaming the world on his own, because Drake never trusted any of them enough to tell why he'd run away. (Or at least that's my impression.) 

I think you're right about the journalists initially, but my point was something else - and you can go read AC Benus' story Dignity to see what I mean about becoming 'famous for being a runaway'.

So say that Silas Drake becomes a name people associate with the song and the band. There is speculation about who he is and where and why etc. Of course his family and friends in Crow's Lake won't betray him, since they know he might run if they do.

Worst case scenario Drake leaves anyway - now he cannot use his real name anymore for fear people will ask him: "Drake? as in Silas Drake the Navigator?" How do you think that will make him feel towards the band and in particular Brady ? :no:

Argh Tim, why did you have to go there. I read Dignity, so I get what you're saying and true, it can easily happen. With that in mind, I can see your point of view. But... Say Silas does get mad. Okay that may me a knee jerk reaction, then he calms down either by himself or Ian, Tara, Chelsea or Amy talk him through it. He thinks back to his time with the band, all good. He thinks about how he felt when he left and in particular how he felt leaving Brady. He realizes that they never asked him to leave, and in that time spent together, they cared about him and he mattered to them - to Brady. They wrote a song for me because they cared and they wanted me to know. Of course he will be overwhelmed, but he won't be able to stop thinking about it. Tara will be over the moon because - the band. She will probably get them to come and Silas will be on his way to HEA.

Please don't ruin my fantasy with logic!   Cynus, this is all your fault, but it makes an interesting discussion. 

• Like 4

Argh Tim, why did you have to go there.

Please don't ruin my fantasy with logic!   Cynus, this is all your fault, but it makes an interesting discussion. 

Sorry..  :(  I love your fantasy and I hope Cynus will make the dream come true. Please ? :heart:

• Like 3

The song is full of Brady's, and the others, feelings for Silas and we know from others observations that Silas has strong feelings for Brady. I think when he hears the song he'll know that Brady wants him to return anything more is superfluous ...

• Like 2

But for that to happen, the band will have to get more than One direction big, more than Lady Gaga big. They'd have to get Michael Jackson big for it to be an issue outside the fans. But who knows? Cynus might have big plans for them!

• Like 1

Argh Tim, why did you have to go there. I read Dignity, so I get what you're saying and true, it can easily happen. With that in mind, I can see your point of view. But... Say Silas does get mad. Okay that may me a knee jerk reaction, then he calms down either by himself or Ian, Tara, Chelsea or Amy talk him through it. He thinks back to his time with the band, all good. He thinks about how he felt when he left and in particular how he felt leaving Brady. He realizes that they never asked him to leave, and in that time spent together, they cared about him and he mattered to them - to Brady. They wrote a song for me because they cared and they wanted me to know. Of course he will be overwhelmed, but he won't be able to stop thinking about it. Tara will be over the moon because - the band. She will probably get them to come and Silas will be on his way to HEA.

The discussion was my goal. Thank you everyone! This is awesome to see. :) Hold on to your fantasy, because until Silas hears the song I'm not saying anything!

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator

He has rarely told anyone his whole name in the past. He has likely used other names too. It is what people off the grid do. The ID he carries, although in his real name, is fake. I think it's fairly amusing that everyone is getting so fixated on his name in the song. Quickly, and absolutely without using google or any search engine, name a real, previously unknown person named in a song. I want a whole name too. If you manage that exercise, did their name in that song make life any less livable?

• Like 1

He has rarely told anyone his whole name in the past. He has likely used other names too. It is what people off the grid do. The ID he carries, although in his real name, is fake. I think it's fairly amusing that everyone is getting so fixated on his name in the song. Quickly, and absolutely without using google or any search engine, name a real, previously unknown person named in a song. I want a whole name too. If you manage that exercise, did their name in that song make life any less livable?

But I think the point is whether or not Silas will feel the pressure. :) How his mind will process having his name blasted on the airwaves is all that matters when determining his reaction, whether it's an unfounded fear or not. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

But I think the point is whether or not Silas will feel the pressure. :) How his mind will process having his name blasted on the airwaves is all that matters when determining his reaction, whether it's an unfounded fear or not. 

True. He is the hero of our story after all.  :)

I started to add one of my little true tales to the last post, but I'll stick it here anyway. Even fairly well know people manage to walk around unrecognized. A bearded man walked into the small operations building at our local airport. The men there paused and spoke to him. Then one of our local raconteurs, Mr B, continued with one of his many stories. After he finished, Mr B looked at the man and said,

"Son, my name is J B. Who are you?"

"My name is Hank Williams Jr."

"Well son, I'm pleased to meet you. I want to let you know that your daddy's songs have really meant a lot to me."

"I appreciate that Mr B."

"So what do you do, son?"

"I sing and write songs."

"You know you should get out and try to make a name for yourself."

'Mr B, what do you do?"

Well son, I'm a lawyer."

"How much did you make last year?"

"Son, I made $300,000 last year."

"I think I made $300,000 last year... off the royalties to "Your Cheatin Heart."

To his credit, Mr B told this story on himself many times. Obviously Hank actually wanted to be recognized. If he had said his name was Hiram Williams, it wouldn't have raised even an eyebrow. He was already well known in his own career.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

:huh:  I'm sure Mr B's story was awesome, but I have to confess I didn't get it. :/

As I said in my post...  Even fairly well known people can and do walk around anonymously, if they want to. That was my point. Fairly well known is an understatement in this case, at least in this country.

• Like 1

As I said in my post...  Even fairly well known people can and do walk around anonymously, if they want to. That was my point. Fairly well known is an understatement in this case, at least in this country.

I'm sure everyone else got the point just fine, but I'm utterly hopeless with knowledge of music and artists - which I probably shouldn't confess. :*)  Or else I should have googled Hank Williams and 'Your Cheatin Heart' right?

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

I'm sure everyone else got the point just fine, but I'm utterly hopeless with knowledge of music and artists - which I probably shouldn't confess. :*)  Or else I should have googled Hank Williams and 'Your Cheatin Heart' right?

You're culturally deprived Tim. I'm not even a fan of country music, but I can pull up that plaintive voice with the words and tune from my memory. Not merely that song, but also many others.

• Like 1

You're culturally deprived Tim. I'm not even a fan of country music, but I can pull up that plaintive voice with the words and tune from my memory. Not merely that song, but also many others.

In Tim's defense I barely recognized the name as someone famous, but I could have never told you that the man was a country singer, and probably not even known he was a musician. Of course, country music is practically my least favorite genre (Sorry Adam) so that might have something to do with it.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

In Tim's defense I barely recognized the name as someone famous, but I could have never told you that the man was a country singer, and probably not even known he was a musician. Of course, country music is practically my least favorite genre (Sorry Adam) so that might have something to do with it.

That and rap/hip hop are at the bottom of my list also. However, country music was practically the sole genre of music played in my area during my childhood. I prefer rock and classical music myself.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Tim,  you can view Brady's denial of any connection with Silas as a way to soften and protect himself from potential rejection. It's total self denial and his band mates aren't letting him go there.

• Like 2