• Site Moderator

I've been thinking about the timeline. In the latest chapter Silas told Brady that his call was delayed because he was 'hassling a fisherman.' That places the timeline at Chapter 19, after Silas got the key and before the events at the church. The band will be on their way there when Chapter 20 happens.

• Like 1

There's a reason for that, and I have to admit that I'm slightly embarrassed that I let it slip by me. Originally, chapter 23 (Which hasn't posted yet) was written so that it could post as chapter 19, with a major cliffhanger that would have pissed everyone off, but was going to be a gimmick that hopefully kept everyone coming back for more. With that thought in mind, chapter 19 would have been chapter 20 instead, and Brady's chapter would have come right after Pastor Gregory was introduced. For some reason I didn't alter chapter 21 to fit into the timeline properly, so yes, it does take place timeline-wise before chapter 20. Good catch. :)

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

Thanks Cy. That was an interesting background showing how the story evolved.  One thing I noticed is that photo has nothing identifying it. I know it's a future character because of an earlier post, but some might assume it represents Silas.  :)

• Like 1

So Silas was originally to be part of the Sanitairia Springs stories, interesting. I've read all of those and enjoyed them immensely. I think what you've done, treating him in a separate story is the better choice.

• Like 1

It's pretty cool to see how Silas came about. I'm glad that you stuck to your guns, as I like the dynamic of Seth, Logan and Grayson, and that meant Silas got his own story. And you know how we feel about Silas...

This is a very neat idea, letting your readers be part of your process.  

• Like 1

Thanks Cy. That was an interesting background showing how the story evolved.  One thing I noticed is that photo has nothing identifying it. I know it's a future character because of an earlier post, but some might assume it represents Silas.  :)

Good point. I'll go . . . do something (I'll figure it out) to it to make sure no one gets the wrong idea. 

So Silas was originally to be part of the Sanitairia Springs stories, interesting. I've read all of those and enjoyed them immensely. I think what you've done, treating him in a separate story is the better choice.

I agree. He completely took control from me and demanded to be made into his own thing. I'm going to expand a bit on how the story developed soon; where the band came from, how Chelsea and Tara came into play, and the appearance of Adam and the Daniel story line. Only Chelsea was in the original concept, taking the place of Kristin.

It's pretty cool to see how Silas came about. I'm glad that you stuck to your guns, as I like the dynamic of Seth, Logan and Grayson, and that meant Silas got his own story. And you know how we feel about Silas...

This is a very neat idea, letting your readers be part of your process.  

I love my SS boys, and I love Silas, but it was definitely better to avoid mixing the families. Although, I am thinking about an SS crossover at some point where the Demons of the Crossroads stop in Sanitaria Springs on their way somewhere else. Obviously this would be written as an SS story rather than another novel in The Navigator's universe, but I think it would be fun nonetheless.

I'm glad that you're enjoying me going through the process. With the next novel I'm going to be taking notes along the way so that I can make even more in depth observations about how the story was conceived. I have a lot more to say on The Navigator, but I want to keep the posts a bit shorter, as that fits better with the tumblr audience.

• Like 2

What should I feature on the tumblr next? Character inspirations, or the development of the plot? Or do any of you have particular things you're wondering about that you would like to read?

• Like 1

In my review I forgot about Adelaide, even though she was barking... So thank you, Dughlas and Robert Rex for reminding me. So, yeah, maybe Adelaide save the day! 

What should I feature on the tumblr next? Character inspirations, or the development of the plot? Or do any of you have particular things you're wondering about that you would like to read?

Either one, I think it would be interesting to read. Maybe you could tell if you have little rituals when you write. Like music selections and the like. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

I didn't forget Addy. I just hope she doesn't get hurt.  Psychic link to Adam: Shoot at Simm's right elbow    :)

Then Addy can have at his privates. I think Stubby Simms would make a good prison nickname. Eh?

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

dughlas brought up the question in his review about why an autopsy didn't reveal that Daniel had been raped. Perhaps there was no actual autopsy, but just an examination and conclusion by the coroner. There was what appeared to be a suicide note in Daniel's handwriting which would allay questions of a suspicious death. Coroners in Colorado are elected and need no medical background.  I live in a state with the same type system in place and it is prone to error. You might recall that Adam wondered why Daniel showed signs that he had engaged in anal sex.

• Like 1

dughlas brought up the question in his review about why an autopsy didn't reveal that Daniel had been raped. Perhaps there was no actual autopsy, but just an examination and conclusion by the coroner. There was what appeared to be a suicide note in Daniel's handwriting which would allay questions of a suspicious death. Coroners in Colorado are elected and need no medical background.  I live in a state with the same type system in place and it is prone to error. You might recall that Adam wondered why Daniel showed signs that he had engaged in anal sex.

That was kind of what I was going for. Elected Coroners are easily bribed.

I was expecting a lot more hate mail from leaving Silas in a cliffhanger like this. I'm surprised at how light the protest has been. Don't worry though, the answer comes next chapter.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

That was kind of what I was going for. Elected Coroners are easily bribed.

I was expecting a lot more hate mail from leaving Silas in a cliffhanger like this. I'm surprised at how light the protest has been. Don't worry though, the answer comes next chapter.

Incompetence works just as well. We have the same system here and it's a low paying position. We had a coroner for years who couldn't read or write. He pretended he could really well though.  lol  Some of his findings were very funny. How many people do you think successfully hang themselves with their knees on the ground?  :)

You get hate mail?

• Like 1

That's awesome. :)

You get hate mail?

It's actually only happened once or twice over the past two years, but I expected more voiced frustration at the extended cliff hanger, though there were only a handful that did. I was merely exaggerating when I called it hate mail, lol.

• Like 1

Well, we knew a band chapter was due, so it's not as if you suddenly threw us for a loop.

I apologize for not leaving any reviews lately, but I'll be back eventually to comment on those aspects which particularly caught my attention.

• Like 1

The band chapter was due. We knew they were on the road to reach Silas at Brady's urging. An update on their status was appropriate. Of course we want to know the outcome for Silas and those with him as soon as might be, you kinda left him hanging, but it's your story to tell. The flow is good. Now hurry up and post the next chapter ;}

• Like 1

Well, all the same to everyone who didn't send me hate mail, thank you for supporting The Navigator and my writing in general. It's about time I updated the tumblr again, so I hope you enjoy this reward for paying attention and supporting me.

You'll find a picture of the muse for Silas there, and a brief explanation of how he inspired Silas' character. I hope you enjoy.

Here's the link to that post only: http://cynusstorybook.tumblr.com/post/124299309525/this-is-silas-or-rather-the

And for those who want to browse the entire tumblr: http://cynusstorybook.tumblr.com/

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Okay, I have to say it. He is beautifully innocent in his sleep. I am a father, and oft I watched my son as he slept. This picture evoked the memories of those times. I fully appreciate this boy, for he is still a boy, would serve as inspiration for you. I also, understand now why you chose a red duvet for his room with Ian & Amy. You had this picture in your mind and set the scene accordingly.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

• Like 1

That was a great insight just from a picture. Interestingly, that is pretty much how I had imagined Silas would look. It fits.

I'm glad that I was able to convey it then. :)

Okay, I have to say it. He is beautifully innocent in his sleep. I am a father, and oft I watched my son as he slept. This picture evoked the memories of those times. I fully appreciate this boy, for he is still a boy, would serve as inspiration for you. I also, understand now why you chose a red duvet for his room with Ian & Amy. You had this picture in your mind and set the scene accordingly.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I wrote that scene exactly from this picture, haha! That scene actually wouldn't have existed if it weren't for this picture, as the original concept of the story would have ended with Silas finally accepting to move in with Ian and Amy. Originally he was going to walk back out into the blizzard after dropping Chelsea off but . . . this changed everything.

On another note, here is the inspiration for Theo: http://cynusstorybook.tumblr.com/post/124333354565/this-is-the-inspiration-for-theo-now-ill-tell

Edit: I just noticed that Adam uses a rifle in chapter 25 and a shotgun in chapter 23. The Shotgun has been changed. :)

Edited by Cynus
  • Like 2

Oh my. Only two more chapters to go.  :(

Indeed. But don't worry, you guys will hate me at the end of chapter 26 and won't want to see me for awhile. Muahahahaha!

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Indeed. But don't worry, you guys will hate me at the end of chapter 26 and won't want to see me for awhile. Muahahahaha!

I think I know you too well.  I have an idea of what's coming.

• Like 1