Marvellous ! Quite an impressive alternative to a backdoor.

They dont make em like that anymore. That is beyond cool. Do you know if you can still get down to see all of that still?  Amazing. 

• Like 2

They dont make em like that anymore. That is beyond cool. Do you know if you can still get down to see all of that still?  Amazing. 

I'm sure the tunnel is still there, but off limits. FYI, the tunnel will feature in one of the stories I have in mind for this series, but will be a while before I get to the 1913 tale.

Thanks to you, Tim, for all of your enthusiastic support. I appreciate the heck out of it! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Loved to see Ms. Child use butter. Delia used margarine a lot :/

Julia Child was very well known as a butter advocate! In later years she even parodied herself on that subject, saying a stick of butter here or there wouldn't hurt a person. 

Hmmmm....I wonder if I can find anything on youtube to show in that regard...

• Like 2

Btw, I have posted the final two images for the 1976 novella. Please check them out.

Tomorrow I will post the appendix, which includes recipes for most of the food mentioned in Katie's Sketchbook. I hope you have a chance to check them out. Thanks!

• Like 1

Should we keep this forum going for the next novella too...? The 1929 story will start in a couple of days

As Tim the Elder named the forum: Christmas at Famous-Barr I guess the forum is still valid for the 1929 story as well. As there will be different characters in the hew story, I don't think we will get too confused. ;)

I did indeed intend for this topic to be used for the whole series. It's nice to be able to discuss all the stories together, I think.

• Like 3

Hey AC, 

From your response to my review:

In answer to your question, yes. Those very old, very narrow wooden escalators still exist at Macy's NYC.. They sound like wooden roller coasters.. Amazing isn't it..  Famous' Art Deco do over looks great, and must have fit right in with the trend at that time right? Good stuff.. 

• Like 2

Hey AC, 

From your response to my review:

In answer to your question, yes. Those very old, very narrow wooden escalators still exist at Macy's NYC.. They sound like wooden roller coasters.. Amazing isn't it..  Famous' Art Deco do over looks great, and must have fit right in with the trend at that time right? Good stuff.. 

I must have been 10 or 11 the first time my mom took me to New York, and even then I thought those wooden escalators were narrow; and the clackety-clack, I remember that too.

The timing was late October, and we got off those escalators at one floor, turned around, and the entire Christmas department was up, but wrapped in paper! You could tell by the garland above what was behind the barrier, so either they were working on it, or as we suspected at the time, they were all ready and just waiting for Halloween to be over. I don't know if that was true or not, but that's what we thought.

• Like 1

It must have been sad to see the store close.

Lazarus downtown was THE place to shop and had six restaurants, even though the store was only about six or seven floors. I didn't see it in it's heyday--not that I can recall, but did have a couple visits in the late 80s before it began to fade. The 6th floor was for kids, more toward the end it became pets and accounting...and gradually there were changes before Federated bought them out, and then Macy's killed them. The last days were very sad as prices dropped on remaining merchandise, and more and more floor space was empty. It was the end of an era which lasted a century and a half.

I remember how amazed I was before it started declining to see a couple harpsichords in the music department--I seriously wanted to buy one, but couldn't afford the $2500 to do it. Just as well, since I never got proficient at piano, even with my 1881 upright to spur me on. :)

I'm starting my version of this story tonight--it's seven months in advance of my story, so you will get a glimpse of how Jay & Miles are doing...but don't stop reading the other one--I'm going to try doing chapters of both at the same time. I can kiss my sanity goodbye. :)

• Like 1

It must have been sad to see the store close.

Lazarus downtown was THE place to shop and had six restaurants, even though the store was only about six or seven floors. I didn't see it in it's heyday--not that I can recall, but did have a couple visits in the late 80s before it began to fade. The 6th floor was for kids, more toward the end it became pets and accounting...and gradually there were changes before Federated bought them out, and then Macy's killed them. The last days were very sad as prices dropped on remaining merchandise, and more and more floor space was empty. It was the end of an era which lasted a century and a half.

I remember how amazed I was before it started declining to see a couple harpsichords in the music department--I seriously wanted to buy one, but couldn't afford the $2500 to do it. Just as well, since I never got proficient at piano, even with my 1881 upright to spur me on. :)

I'm starting my version of this story tonight--it's seven months in advance of my story, so you will get a glimpse of how Jay & Miles are doing...but don't stop reading the other one--I'm going to try doing chapters of both at the same time. I can kiss my sanity goodbye. :)

I hadn't heard of Famous but I did Lazarus.. I went reading up on it from AC's posts and such and read about Federated and Macy's. 

• Like 2

I hadn't heard of Famous but I did Lazarus.. I went reading up on it from AC's posts and such and read about Federated and Macy's. 

Yes, Lazarus was shielded by The May Company, Famous-Barr's parent company, when it bought it in the early 90s. It came to Federated, and was converted to Macy's branding when May and Federated merged.   

What's weird is that Lazarus was one of the consolidated companies that formed Federated in the early 20th century. When and where they spit from them (to be bought by May) is a mystery to me...    

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

No likes so... :heart:  :heart:

I did too. I think AC asked that question just for you Tim. Lol.. 

Lol.. not sure about that.. but i hve been up close and personal with it ... 

• Like 1

No likes so... :heart:  :heart:

I did too. I think AC asked that question just for you Tim. Lol.. 

Well, I think it means you need to get some cream cheese and butter and try making it this weekend, as Tim did a while back ;) 

• Like 1

The Eastland Mall Lazarus was the one I knew best--and it is in my story. Eastland Mall is the last enclosed mall in Columbus--there were three--but it's future is gloomy: Lazarus was replaced by Kaufmann's, but that's gone, and JC Penney, one of the three anchors, recently pulled out, leaving only Sears. I think 3/4 of the small stores are still there, but I'm sure the place is no longer the fun place I remember--one change was the floors are all carpeted now, and all the indoor trees are gone. Crime and drugs are very active in the area, probably in the mall itself. A few years back it was looking for a new owner, and they got only one offer, which was rejected as too low to cover the money they had in the place.

There are two malls left--basically shopping centers open to the weather, one in northwest Columbus and the other in the northeast--both neighborhoods are for pretty rich people to live around and shop at, rather than for everybody.  Our City Center Mall, which was opposite Lazarus, was open for about twenty years and is now a parking lot.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 1

Well, I think it means you need to get some cream cheese and butter and try making it this weekend, as Tim did a while back ;)

You say cream cheese and butter, all I hear I hear is hips and thighs.. By what you two have said, it is delicious but rich. I may have to wait till I have company to share..

• Like 1