Just finished reading chapter three of Scraps from a Diary. What a wonderful tale it was.

I will be reviewing it soon, but I've been wondering for a while now where the inspiration for these characters came from. I ask this because the first glimpse of Mr. and Mrs. McIntire had me me thinking of Nels and Harriet Oleson from Little House on the Prairie. As the story progressed, it became evident that while they were both very kind, Mr. McIntire's backbone was fully intact unlike Mr. Oleson.  As for Mrs. M, the comparisons ran right through to the end. I won't elaborate on the comparisons, but I wonder if anyone else sees a similarly between these two ladies or am I being too harsh on Mrs. M? 

Thanks for reading and reviewing Scraps, Reader! I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed it as much as you did.

As for the television characters, I cannot say I had them deliberately in mind when creating the McIntires. But I certainly remember and enjoyed the show when I was a kid – So so many cute men and boys on there, gosh… Had a huge crush on Willy when I was boy (we're about the same age, I guess), and then later on melted into a puddle every time Alonzo was on screen.     

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator
  • Thanks for reading and reviewing Scraps, Reader! I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed it as much as you did.

As for the television characters, I cannot say I had them deliberately in mind when creating the McIntires. But I certainly remember and enjoyed the show when I was a kid – So so many cute men and boys on there, gosh… Had a huge crush on Willy when I was boy (we're about the same age, I guess), and then later on melted into a puddle every time Alonzo was on screen.     

I'm fairly visual when it comes to remembering things as a result an image of Mrs. Oleson on one of her many tirades popped into my head as I was reading about Mrs. McIntire. They are not truly alike, but these two ladies are of a similar mindset. As for her hubby, well, he just got swept up in my musings.

Regarding Willy and Alonzo, you weren't the only one with a crush.  ;)

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

AC, don't forget Andy Garvey. I found a great pic of Andy and Albert (real life brothers btw) together, but can't post it. The extension is correct, but I can't post pics on GA for some reason. 

Awww. You can paste the link here and I'll see if if works for me to post

• Site Moderator

Awww. You can paste the link here and I'll see if if works for me to post

It's in my post, thanks for trying  if it doesn't work and if it does...thank you!

• Site Moderator

While Bauer might be classified as a "child labourer" I have a feeling that his uncle watches out for him and would not allow him to be overworked. I would even go so far as to guess that Bauer feels valued for all his efforts. From the conversations we have witnessed, it is obvious that he is an articulate and sharp-minded child with a very pleasant disposition. The only one to show negativity towards him is Mrs. McIntire and well, she's not exactly the best judge of someone's character, now is she? :lol:

snapback.png Reply from AC Benus (author)

Jack London opened my eyes to much of the injustice of the 'mental hygiene system' of the early 1900s. You can check out the link to the story below. I imagine that someone like Bauer would fall into the gears of that mindset as well, but fortunately he does have someone who watched out for him, albeit in a way that may shock us today ('free' by way of forced child labor). 

I don’t try to sugar-coat historical things, but I also do not have much interest in unhappy endings  ;)

http://www.eastofthe...ks/TolDro.shtml

19095359.jpg

Ha. Love the 19th century consumes, and the 1970s digital watch ;)

Time travel must be real!!!

I didn't even notice the watch. Nice catch! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Hmm, perhaps I should have watched Litte House of the Prairie back in the seventies. I always thought it was for girls and only saw it when I was with my cousins. I certainly cannot recall seeing any of those boys. :unsure:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The new story in the Famous-Barr series may not start around Christmas, but rest assured it's just as deligtful as the other parts. :yes:

We are taken back to the very beginnings of this unique departement store and learn about the fusion of F & B through Wini, the person chosen to be mid-wife to this long, hard birth.

AC has chosen the audacious path of telling the story via her letters and diary, and it works beautifully. Some of you may have already read the long excerpts but this should only heighten your appreciation of Wini and the King of Someplace.

Hope to see y'all here for discussions and maybe a few rants. ;)

• Like 4

The new story in the Famous-Barr series may not start around Christmas, but rest assured it's just as deligtful as the other parts. :yes:

We are taken back to the very beginnings of this unique departement store and learn about the fusion of F & B through Wini, the person chosen to be mid-wife to this long, hard birth.

AC has chosen the audacious path of telling the story via her letters and diary, and it works beautifully. Some of you may have already read the long excerpts but this should only heighten your appreciation of Wini and the King of Someplace.

Hope to see y'all here for discussions and maybe a few rants. ;)

Ah, Tim - this is super sweet of you to post. Thank you! <3 

• Like 1

Hello all! For those of you who have read chapter 2 of Wini, there's a reference to Thomas and Eugene O'Neill sitting around topless. That mention was inspired by the playwright's penchant to 'talk Plato' with his crew in said manner. Here's the pic from (I believe) 1912. 

3a.jpg

Here's the page it comes from ;)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

A while back I promised to post a couple pics of young boys working in STL in the era of Wini and Bauer. 

6383a690f31225cd717167ae8eb77b7b.jpg

This one is subtitled: Delivery boy in Saint Louis, Mo., 1910.

Incidentally, the building on the right looks suspiciously like Scruggs, Vandervoort and Barney, one of Famous' rival department store. 

• Like 4

Here is the second one; one I found only after completing Wini and the King of Someplace. Love this image. The boy on the right just has such interesting and unusual expression on his face.

5b9fe0314665dd1323dcc449ef054c7e.jpg

Original subtitle: Two boys working in Inland Type Foundry, 12th & Locust, Saint Louis, Mo. Work 9 to 10 hours a day. Noon, May 10th, 1910. Photo by Lewis Hine.

• Like 4

In the new chapter, quite a few of Saint Louis' department stores are named. Here's an image I found of one not mentioned, a wholesaler named Ferguson McKinney.   

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

Looking at these makes me feel awe at how much more massive Famous-Barr's power plant must have been ten years later. The sources say the store's electrical generation was enough to light half the homes in the city of 750,000 people.     

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2