W.a.r. By Jeff Wilson (Jkwsquirrel)

My question in all of this is how does Jack think he is going to sue anybody??  Unless he can convince Jen to file the suit he really has no standing.  I will laugh my ass off if he ends up "outing" himself as Brett's father during this whole mess. 

Another thing to consider is that Dustin is a very smart boy,  Jack's little tirade to him in the ER probably got him thinking WTF??  Paula may be to dense to read the signs but Dusty will figure it out (considering Billy already told him he knows who Brett's father is)

• Like 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

I think it will be Brett, or Joey that spill that tidbit.

Wouldn't it be great if Jack did get outed by Joey. If that happened it would put Billy and Brett in the clear as far as Jenny is concerned. Brett, Billy and Dustin are all 17 right now. It is less than a year until all three are legal adults and out of the control of abusive parents. It is harsh, but all of the boys parents are abusive in one way or another. Maybe the parents will gain some reason if they are looking the darkness of the void.....

• Love 4
5 hours ago, wenmale64 said:

Brett, Billy and Dustin are all 17 right now. It is less than a year until all three are legal adults and out of the control of abusive parents. It is harsh, but all of the boys parents are abusive in one way or another. Maybe the parents will gain some reason if they are looking the darkness of the void.....

Well, Billy is already 18, and Brett will be 18 in early March and Dustin in early April.  The only birthday that Jeff hasn't told us about (unless is missed a reference to it) is Joey's.  This is what scares me most is because Brett is still technically a "minor" someone could sue on his behalf, if this accident happened 2 or 3 weeks later, there would be no threat of a lawsuit.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
14 minutes ago, glennish said:

This is what scares me most is because Brett is still technically a "minor" someone could sue on his behalf, if this accident happened 2 or 3 weeks later, there would be no threat of a lawsuit.

‘Someone’ would have to admit his biological connection to have standing and face all the small-town gossip and religious condemnation that would entail. The political careers of both Der Gröpenfuhrer and Al Gore were destroyed by similar admissions. Most lawyers would hesitate to pursue a case since no one involved has deep pockets and they’d never be able to even cover their own costs.  ;-)

Edited by Former Member

What we have to remember is that Jack McKenzie is a bully and like most bullies, he's almost all talk.  He's always managed to do what he wants by threatening to sue everyone that gets in his way.  The problem with that is that one day he'll run into someone who's going to call his bluff.  Brett (and I believe Joey as well) knows about their biological connection, and he could retaliate in a nasty way if Jack goes after Billy, he wouldn't risk it.

• Love 3

I did not catch the actual b-days of the boys. It does pose a potential problem with Billy being 18 and Brett 17. In my state the closeness of their ages AND the fact that there has been an established relationship for a long time would greatly reduce the legal threat to Billy. The other plus side is that there is no malice in what happened... Bad judgment maybe, but no intent to harm.  I also agree that Jack is a bully and it has served him well in his profession, however, if he ever gets called out it could be one hell of a show. I am bringing the popcorn, anybody else want to watch? :D.

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, jkwsquirrel said:

I almost forgot to tease you with an out-of-context quote from the next chapter, "Liars' Club!"

“Billy, I think something’s wrong…” Brett said.

I'm thinking its because Jen or Paula are being nice or attentive to him.  Or maybe Jack's obsession??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This story reminds me why I hate living in a small town.  All the petty bullshit, and hypocrisy, and "my reputation", it's so annoying.  If you care so much what people will think if they find out you had an affair, just don't have an affair?

Spoiler

I keep thinking about the latest chapter.  I remember in Retaliation when Dustin threatened then attacked Billy by kicking him in his broken hand.  I remember how many people (myself included) still tried to defend him by saying he's acting that way because of his father's abuse.  Yet now, we find out the same thing was happening to Joey, and I don't see any "Joey Defense Squad" rushing to rationalise his actions over the past few years.

I think we're seeing the real Joey now, the one who's not pretending to be someone else to impress his father.

And can we talk about how stupid Jack is to have his two sons hang out with each other when they just keep looking more and more alike?  That's probably how both boys figured it out.  I'm surprised no one else in town remarked on it yet.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

And can we talk about how stupid Jack is to have his two sons hang out with each other when they just keep looking more and more alike?  That's probably how both boys figured it out.  I'm surprised no one else in town remarked on it yet.

White people all look alike.  ;-)

4 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

This story reminds me why I hate living in a small town.  All the petty bullshit, and hypocrisy, and "my reputation", it's so annoying.  If you care so much what people will think if they find out you had an affair, just don't have an affair?

Reveal hidden contents

I keep thinking about the latest chapter.  I remember in Retaliation when Dustin threatened then attacked Billy by kicking him in his broken hand.  I remember how many people (myself included) still tried to defend him by saying he's acting that way because of his father's abuse.  Yet now, we find out the same thing was happening to Joey, and I don't see any "Joey Defense Squad" rushing to rationalise his actions over the past few years.

I think we're seeing the real Joey now, the one who's not pretending to be someone else to impress his father.

I think the biggest secret of all will be Jack’s wife already knowing. Tear him down herself at right time.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm starting to think this is "Billy Roberts is gay" levels of worst-kept secret in town, but everyone ignores it because Jack McKenzie is "part of the right crowd" (and keeps threatening to sue everyone).  I wonder if maybe Carl Stevens will be the one to throw him under the bus once he has no more use for him.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Shadow086 said:

I'm starting to think this is "Billy Roberts is gay" levels of worst-kept secret in town, but everyone ignores it because Jack McKenzie is "part of the right crowd" (and keeps threatening to sue everyone).  I wonder if maybe Carl Stevens will be the one to throw him under the bus once he has no more use for him.

For Carl who rages over the sin of homosexuality. Which guy is he doing? Jack, maybe?

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Shadow086 said:

Politicians (who are often lawyers), ministers, actors, musicians, business people – all sorts of powerful people, part of the right crowd, have affairs and think no one is going to notice! But they all seem to think that poor people are the ones without morals – I think it’s a case of projection, seeing in others what you don’t want anyone noticing about you!  ;-)

1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Politicians (who are often lawyers), ministers, actors, musicians, business people – all sorts of powerful people, part of the right crowd, have affairs and think no one is going to notice! But they all seem to think that poor people are the ones without morals – I think it’s a case of projection, seeing in others what you don’t want anyone noticing about you!  ;-)

Or they think their power and status lets them get away with it, but it'll come crashing down eventually.

• Haha 2
19 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Ted Haggard, Jerry Falwell, Jim Baker... Just a few pastors that imploded. Politicians would take days to name.

Then they bring out the "Jesus is all about forgiveness" line that they deny to people they disagree with.  It amazes me how quickly these hate-spewing preachers can do a complete 180 when they get caught doing something bad.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Haha 2

Fascinating discussion as always!  I'll get to the comments on the chapter some time soon, but there are a few things I'd like to talk about.

Joey - He remains a fascinating case for me.  I hope I gave enough clues for his drug use in earlier chapters that it was no shock here.  A surprise that it has taken over his life, sure.  It is his coping mechanism for the incredible amount of pressure he's been under his whole life.  You might remember the bag of pot Joey had when he invited Billy over to his house.  In fact, Joey may have been the one who put the idea in Brett's head that pot might help his ADHD.  Joey's actions in previous chapters certainly crossed the line, and Billy isn't quite ready to forgive him yet.  But Billy has become mature enough to have a civil conversation even with somebody who he has issues with.  That was what I was trying to accomplish with their conversation.  Before, Billy would have ripped Joey apart in the hallway before they made it to the cafeteria.  Billy didn't forgive him, but he did come to understand Joey a little better because he was willing to put aside his anger.

Billy - Sure, Billy could have told the truth - in fact, I would argue that this was his best chance and he blew it.  Billy has never, ever, handled pressure well.  He either blows up or retreats.  Jack and Jenny know this, and used Billy's weakness to suck him further into their web of lies.  And Jack made it look like Billy knew about Jack's announcement before they came into the room.  But now Billy looks just as sleazy as Jack and Jenny.  He could have said no.  Instead, he took the bribe.  He's sinking into the swamp and becoming the very thing he's been fighting against.  This isn't the first time Billy has had information and been too much of a coward to reveal it.  Poor Dustin almost got killed because of Billy's cowardice.

Does Brett know Jack's his father?  Does Joey know?  It certainly seems that way.  The question is, does Brett know that Billy knows?  His reaction to Jack's announcement didn't sound very enthusiastic.  Billy walks in, Brett looks hopeful.  Billy craps himself instead of revealing the truth.  Jack makes his announcement.  Brett is like, "Oh, well that's nice."  One character we've never actually met is Joey's mom.  Joey never talks about her, only how his father is a jerk to him.  If Joey does know the secret, is she the reason he's not telling, or is it the fear of his father that keeps him quiet?  Jack is basically an older Brett without the redeeming qualities.  They share their perfectionist streak.  Brett tends to judge himself by impossible standards, flipping out at bowling, quitting piano over a couple of missed notes in a five minute song he was playing by memory, but he is very forgiving of other people's faults.  Jack's perfectionism is directed outward, especially toward the son who is not like him.  Just some thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Love 2