W.a.r. By Jeff Wilson (Jkwsquirrel)

New chapter coming tomorrow!  Should be exciting!

“I’m not going to spend all day watching you guys work on that stupid thing again am I?” Brett asked as he sat down on a lawn chair.

“No, we’re going to ride it,” Dustin said with a smile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think it has been mentioned, and in this fictitious world it wouldn't mean anything, but how did our three star students do on their SAT's??  Sarah's father has been bending(breaking) rules to get his little girl to be class valedictorian, but in a "real world" situation, being top of your class in a small school wouldn't mean as much to a future college as how your scholastic testing numbers rated.  And that is something that John Taylor cannot manipulate. 

I see the whole race for class valedictorian as a competition between Joey and Sarah, with Billy thinking Meh, I'll get screwed out of it anyway so why bother caring. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, glennish said:

I don't think it has been mentioned, and in this fictitious world it wouldn't mean anything, but how did our three star students do on their SAT's??  Sarah's father has been bending(breaking) rules to get his little girl to be class valedictorian, but in a "real world" situation, being top of your class in a small school wouldn't mean as much to a future college as how your scholastic testing numbers rated.  And that is something that John Taylor cannot manipulate. 

Do they have SAT preparation classes in small towns like Denora* (or nearby)? Especially in Silicon Valley, there are expensive classes you can take to give you a leg up on the competition. Clearly they can’t give you the test itself, but they can give you a very good idea what to expect on the real SAT. Practice can help to increase your score, maybe even significantly. The less wealthy can buy SAT prep books, but I don’t know how much they’ll actually help even though I sold lots of them when I worked in a bookstore in the ‘90s.  ;-)

* I’m very proud of myself for remembering Denora!  ;-)

Billy's graduating class would have been the last one to take the SAT before the redesign from 1600 to 2400 (which I guess is now back to 1600?).  I never really thought about what their scores would be.  I could see Billy scoring pretty close to perfect in the math section as he eats numbers for breakfast.  I could see Sarah doing well in reading, but nowhere as good as Billy in math.  I could see Joey's dad making him take the test again and again until he got the best possible score.  Would Brett have even bothered?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just a little Monday teaser for you to get you ready for Thursday's chapter, Parental Guidance:

“And where in the hell were you, Paula, while these boys were being boys?  It’s obvious that you can’t control your son.  Now he’s endangering the lives of others!”

.....................................................................................................................................................................

I left the waiting room and walked numbly down the hall.  I stopped in the restroom and stood at the sink.  I turned on the sink and splashed water in my face as I tried to keep my composure.  I looked into the dark green eyes of the young man in the mirror staring back at me.  I didn’t want to be Billy Roberts right then.  And then it hit me…

“Holy crap, this is the same restroom!  This is the mirror I punched!”

.................................................................................................................................................................

When I got to the hospital, I asked the nice lady at the registration desk where I could find Brett.

“We don’t have a Brett Reilly here,” she said.

It's going to be quite a ride!

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Whoever is being quoted first doesn’t have a very realistic view of parenting and seventeen-year-old boys! The words ‘control your son’ makes it sound like Billy is a pet dog or a large truck! And I can imagine any number of Denora residents who might say something like that!

It sounds like Billy has been interrogated – by Brett’s mother or by the police?

Hmm. I sounds like Brett has been checked into a second hospital!  ;-)

I get the feeling that its not Brett's mom because he has a little bit of info on her and I wouldn't want to piss her off. Secondly, if any mother was to blame its sweet little Dusty's ma. I mean she knew they were working on it Paula didn't.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Hmm. I sounds like Brett has been checked into a second hospital!  ;-)

Remember, Bretts legal name is Anthony and hospitals are very anal about legal names. If there is one letter wrong insurance and a host of other things will not recognize the patent....

I wonder if the person squawking at Paula might be Jack. He IS Bretts father and might actually care about him a little....

• Like 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, wenmale64 said:

Remember, Bretts legal name is Anthony and hospitals are very anal about legal names. If there is one letter wrong insurance and a host of other things will not recognize the patent....

I wonder if the person squawking at Paula might be Jack. He IS Bretts father and might actually care about him a little....

While I would love to see a little bit of goodness in the asswipe, I doubt its him. To me it sounds like possibly pastor Carl could be the one doing it. I mean who in the town has the biggest vendetta against billy?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jkwsquirrel said:

“And where in the hell were you, Paula, while these boys were being boys?  It’s obvious that you can’t control your son.  Now he’s endangering the lives of others!”

What if this is Dave?  Maybe he decided that his hands-off approach of letting Paula handle Billy wasn't working.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

"How cheap is this hospital?  There are still shattered pieces of glass all over the floor!"

Yeah, unbelievable. Denora must be such a hellhole! 

But at least the mirror is not stupid; this time the mirror strikes first!

1 hour ago, jkwsquirrel said:

And then it hit me…

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, Freerider said:

Yeah, unbelievable. Denora must be such a hellhole! 

But at least the mirror is not stupid; this time the mirror strikes first!

And Freerider is clearly an expert on punching! Look out! He’s getting ready to… Oww!!!!!  ;-)