What Are You Reading Right Now? (Non-GA)

Currently reading insane amounts of White Collar fanfiction over on ArchiveOfOurOwn.org. Yeah, I don't know how I got into this either, but watch that show and tell me there's no sexual tension between Neal and Peter. I'm pretty sure they did it on purpose. Or, Matt Bomer did, anyway. Actually, judging by the behind the scenes photos, Tim DeKay did too.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1

Finished Alan Cole (I was on the last chapter, LOL), and now I'm reading Play Me, I'm Yours, by Madison Parker. This one's on my Kindle.  :lol:

Fairy Tate. Twinklefingers. Lucy Liu. Will the taunting ever end? Lucas Tate suffers ridicule because of his appearance and sensitive nature. When he’s not teased, he’s ignored, and he doesn’t know which is worse. He feels unloved by everyone, but the one comfort in life is his music. What he wants more than anything is to find a friend.

Much to his dismay, both his mom and a schoolmate are determined to find him a boyfriend, despite the fact Lucas hasn’t come out to them. His mom chooses a football player who redefines the term “heartthrob,” while Trish pushes him toward the only openly gay boy at Providence High. But Lucas is harboring a crush on another boy, one who writes such romantic poetry to his girlfriend that hearing it melts Lucas into a puddle of goo. All three prospects seem so far out of his league. Lucas is sure he doesn’t stand a chance with any of them—until sharing his gift for music brings him the courage to let people into his heart.

I’ve read a bunch of free Kindle books that seem to have a few things in common. They’re not as creative as the stories I’m reading here. They were almost all written by straight women who just don’t have the experience to write realistic Gay or bisexual characters (I could name at least three authors here on GA who I believe identify as straight women who manage to create multiple realistic and unique Gay and bisexual characters and situations). And they’ve apparently written numerous books available for Kindle on Amazon.

I have also ‘printed’ PDFs of the Reader View of stories on GA (just make sure to include the story’s name and chapter number in the title of the document). I’ve copied them into the Kindle app. It’s a couple extra steps, but it’s worth it when I want to read stories on my iPad.  ;–)

@droughtquake One of the earliest books I read on my Kindle was Michael J. Bowler's Children of the Knight series.

Legend has it that King Arthur will be summoned from Avalon to save Brittania in Her darkest hour. So, why is he running around 21st-Century Los Angeles? Well, the United States is the best and brightest of Brittania's children. Arthur has been called from a place between Time and Space to save the lost, the rejected, and destitute youth of America from the "war on children" declared by overzealous adults. Gangsters, drug addicts, prostitutes, homeless; black, white, red, brown, gay, straight, or somewhere in-between: King Arthur takes them all and gives them a home as his knights of New Camelot. Together, they find meaning and acceptance, and they begin the arduous task of making not just Los Angeles, but all of America, safe for children to be who they want to be. Unfortunately, there are some who would rather see the Knights destroyed and King Arthur dead...

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Page Scrawler said:

@droughtquake One of the earliest books I read on my Kindle was Michael J. Bowler's Children of the Knight series.

Legend has it that King Arthur will be summoned from Avalon to save Brittania in Her darkest hour. So, why is he running around 21st-Century Los Angeles? Well, the United States is the best and brightest of Brittania's children. Arthur has been called from a place between Time and Space to save the lost, the rejected, and destitute youth of America from the "war on children" declared by overzealous adults. Gangsters, drug addicts, prostitutes, homeless; black, white, red, brown, gay, straight, or somewhere in-between: King Arthur takes them all and gives them a home as his knights of New Camelot. Together, they find meaning and acceptance, and they begin the arduous task of making not just Los Angeles, but all of America, safe for children to be who they want to be. Unfortunately, there are some who would rather see the Knights destroyed and King Arthur dead...

So it’s a true story then…  ;–)

I've started a re-read of Edmund White's autobiographical trilogy: A Boy's Own Story, The Beautiful Room Is Empty, and The Farewell Symphony. I first read these books in the early Aughts when I climbed out of my deep, dark, dank closet and sought the light of day. Unfortunately, my world turned upside down and I fell into a major depressive state and it was only through these book that I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, CarlHoliday said:

I've started a re-read of Edmund White's autobiographical trilogy: A Boy's Own Story, The Beautiful Room Is Empty, and The Farewell Symphony.

I read the first of those, years ago, but I didn't realize it was a trilogy. Thanks for the info.  :)

• Love 1

In this week’s New Yorker there is an incredible short story by upcoming gay writer Bryan Washington. It is titled “Waugh” and mostly takes place mostly in the Montrose neighborhood of Houston, Texas, through which Waugh Drive makes its way. The gritty and graphic story is about the hard life of hustlers on the streets of a big city and what they have to do to not only get something to eat, but also to keep clean. If you can’t get a copy of the zine, go to newyorker.com and click on Podcasts to hear Bryan read his story. As a sidelight, Bryan has two novels out and a collection of short stories is set to hit the shelves in March ’09.