Topic Tuesday #6: New Genre and New Point of View

I agree that the Deep POV is the better way to go. I try to establish who is speaking through non-verbal actions, however, inserting "he said", "she interjected" here and there is oftentimes necessary to keep confusion at bay. I also find that, at least in my own writing, that such notations can enhance the flow of writing rather than hinder it when used correctly. 

Example:

DEEP POV: Paul turned to look at David. His eyes showed his anger. "Look, I don't know what you thought you were doing back there, but you should mind your own business."

NOT SO DEEP POV: "Look," Paul said, turning to David with anger in his eyes. "I don't know what you thought you were doing back there, but you should mind your own business."

I think either of these examples can work in the right context. Again, it all depends on how well the scene as a whole flows together. I believe that the true craft of story-telling isn't just in the world-building, it's also in the wordsmithing. 

I scanned a story recently where the author used dialogue descriptions and character actions italicized inside parentheses to denote tones and expressions. The end result made it read like a play to be directed on stage rather than a story. It was an interesting style but far too distracting from the flow.

Anyway, good topic, A.   

• Like 2
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, MacGreg said:

scanned a story recently where the author used dialogue descriptions and character actions italicized inside parentheses to denote tones and expressions. The end result made it read like a play to be directed on stage rather than a story. It was an interesting style but far too distracting from the flow

yes, Sir, fine if you're writing a play ... but the last time i put parentheses in something my dear editor rapped my knuckles for it ... i know some editors say it's okay .. but frankly, my opinion is they do not belong in fiction.  Business writing yes, i use them often. But not in my prose any longer. There are better ways, such as commas, and the em dash.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...

I built sites for RPG's while I was in high school, also posted on a few for a couple of years. It's fun, but can be upsetting when your character doesn't get any posts in response. 

So questions... Is deep POV not in first person perspective? 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Pmsingtiger said:

Is deep POV not in first person perspective? 

From what I have read, on various bogs, and some Deep POV stories: No.

It is a Third Person, Head Hopping by scene, Omnisentient, point of view.

8 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

From what I have read, on various bogs, and some Deep POV stories: No.

It is a Third Person, Head Hopping by scene, Omnisentient, point of view.

Oh I think I know what that is. I’m not much for head hoping. I can’t keep up. 😂

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Pmsingtiger said:

Oh I think I know what that is. I’m not much for head hoping. I can’t keep up. 😂

One of the tricks of head-hopping is to keep in one head, until the scene changes. Some I've read, will stay in one head for an entire chapter or book.

• Wow 1
4 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

One of the tricks of head-hopping is to keep in one head, until the scene changes. Some I've read, will stay in one head for an entire chapter or book.

What sorcery is this? 😱 These people are certified magic wielders in my book. I can barely keep from making the “me” and “my” typo. 

• Like 1

Ha, ha, I had no idea it was a trend and it has a name, even. I think I have been practicing Deep POV without knowing it! Thank you for making it clear for me. I beleive it works only when you focus the story on a single character. It must have something to do with immersion. Personally, I like it, I just didn't know it was a thing.

As for LitRPG, I don't know. I tried to read some, and found them pretty tedious. I just think it's more fun to play games, rather than read them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Laura S. Fox said:

As for LitRPG, I don't know. I tried to read some, and found them pretty tedious. I just think it's more fun to play games, rather than read them.

This is the next project, I'm working on, and I'm finding it tedious as well. While I have read and enjoyed stories in this genre, there are some expectations that "fans" of the LitRPG are very much varied on.

Some like only settlement building, while some want to see powergamer tactics used, and if you even hint at romance, they'll toss your book into a fire somewhere.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

LitRPG sounds so interesting in my opinion, and I'm glad that there's a name to it.  I've been trying to find a tabletop game that I can use as a foundation to write a short story on top of.  There a board game called Dead of Winter that has storytelling elements in it, but I want to expand it, so that writing a story will be possible.  If you don't mind, can you name some of the video and tabletop games that you use for your stories if you haven't already?

2 hours ago, Superpride said:

If you don't mind, can you name some of the video and tabletop games that you use for your stories if you haven't already?

I have a FanFic that is based on EvE Online.

Another has elements from D&D 5e in it.

Another is based on campaign notes from a Palladium books game.

One based on Star Trek Online.

An article on how to use RPGs to be a better worldbuilder and writer.

Now, most of these were written at a time when I didn't know about LitRPG, and they are mostly narrative. I'm currently writing a LitRPG that is simply titles right now Timeless. This one is going to be more Real World / Game World story within a story split.

• Like 1