New Project, Back to My Roots

I've started a new project, and already have both a Prologue and Chapter 1 almost completed. I'm shooting for about 50,000 words, and won't start posting the story, until its either complete or almost complete. It's a new genre for me, of LitRPG. If you look at the Writer's Club and my Topic Tuesday #6, it gives you the foundation of what this new genre is. However, it's more like a SciFi than anything else. Having said that, the game world will be a fantasy world.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Myr said:

Sounds interesting.  Good luck!

Thanks, Myr.

I should also add, that a LitRPG story was recently made into a major motion picture: Ready Player One.

• Like 1

Update:

Prologue - Completed

Chapter 1 - Plotted, and in progress.

Chapter 2 - Plotted.

I hope no one minds, but I was going to use this as a way to mark progress. Willing to discuss the story as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Status Update:

And it happened again. Document corruption on my Timeless project. I lost Chapter 0, Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and Chapter 3 on my Hard Drive, and those files were sent to my OneDrive so I lost them there as well. However... Chapter 0, and the first half of Chapter 1 was on Google Drive. Yeah, I keep a double back-up, but it seems my Google Drive is full and stopped backing up files. I need to clear out my D&D .pdfs on Drive, to clear space.

I might need to either switch entirely to Google Docs, just to make sure this crap stops happening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I thought Word was using "File History" now to keep multiple copies in the file system?

With me constantly switching between 3 different computers, I rely completely on Onedrive to keep things synced.  Though there is automatic backups to both a NAS and a stand alone external drive.  (I'm a bit obsessed with copies of stuff).

I've also periodically copied my entire writing directory to another separate drive.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Myr said:

I thought Word was using "File History" now to keep multiple copies in the file system?

I'm still using Office2007, so not sure if it has that feature or not.

However, I am using OneDrive and Google Drive as backups. I have set OneDrive to keep most of my Word Documents there, and only downloading them as I work on them. A new feature I just recently learned about. The only downside was the last two days, our Cable Modem was dead, and I couldn't access my files.

• Site Administrator
6 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I'm still using Office2007

Gotcha. Are you on Windows 10?  File History is built into that and keeps snapshots of your stuff on changes.

There does seem to be additional saving options in Word as part of Office 365, if you eventually jump to that.

• Like 1
Just now, Myr said:

Gotcha. Are you on Windows 10?  File History is built into that and keeps snapshots of your stuff on changes.

There does seem to be additional saving options in Word as part of Office 365, if you eventually jump to that.

Yup. Running Windows 10. I'll look up the file history stuff. Thanks, Myr.

I'm planning on upgrading to Office 365, just as soon as I can afford it.

• Like 1

You might like to have a look at LibreOffice. It's open source (free- but they do like a donation) and allows automatic saves to various destinations every 'x' minutes if you want.

I use it, by preference, and save in Word format whenever I need to use Word.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Palantir said:

You might like to have a look at LibreOffice. It's open source (free- but they do like a donation) and allows automatic saves to various destinations every 'x' minutes if you want.

I use it, by preference, and save in Word format whenever I need to use Word.

I've been looking at a few different programs, but I keep running into the issue that the Free ones don't have the ability to track changes and allow comment boxes in the text. Both if which my editing team uses.