Get noticed by.... writing for Anthologies

Anthologies are a great way for you to promote your writing and show prospective new readers a sample of what you can do.

While anthologies are short, they can give readers a sense of your style, and showcase your ability to craft a story.

There is one way I can think of this could backfire. While it's great to step out of your norm once in a while, if you only do one anthology and it's a completely different style, genre, etc. than the rest of your work, it doesn't really showcase the majority of your work. I'd suggest to all authors, to participate in at least one anthology, preferably more, but do at least one that showcases your talent and gives readers a feel for what your stories are about.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I definitely agree with the anthology promotion that Renee mentioned here. It's a great way to get noticed by readers who are fans of other authors who have contributed to the theme, and might want to see who else they might want to read while their fave writer is putting together new chapters. However, if the anthology is out of your normal range, I think that's ok. It might even be more of an incentive to potential readers. Show your talents and let people know that you have a wide range of talents and a variety of themes that you can tackle. Go for it. Why not? :) 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Comicality said:

However, if the anthology is out of your normal range, I think that's ok. It might even be more of an incentive to potential readers. Show your talents and let people know that you have a wide range of talents and a variety of themes that you can tackle. Go for it. Why not? :) 

I do agree, Comsie. I said that part all wrong, and still not sure how to say what I actually wanted to say there.... I'll have to think on it and see if i can come up with the wording for what I meant it to mean. LOL. Ideally, an author could write for multiple anthologies, and use those anthologies to show the range of what they can do.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Renee Stevens said:

I do agree, Comsie. I said that part all wrong, and still not sure how to say what I actually wanted to say there.... I'll have to think on it and see if i can come up with the wording for what I meant it to mean. lol

Nah, you said it perfectly! :) I read the message, loud and clear. I'm sure others did too. 

• Like 4

As of last week, I've been on the site for two years now, and this Fall will be my first anthology piece. It goes back to my roots of SciFi, though my most popular series of stories is a Family Drama with a little Urban Fantasy thrown into the mix. Looking forward to doing more Anthology pieces.

So, I'm not sure if I'm fully showcasing my style, with what is soon to be posted, and what readers know me for. Now, I'm wondering if I have enough time to write a second one or if I should wait till the 2019 themes come out. 

• Like 3
On 10/30/2018 at 9:55 AM, Comicality said:

Show your talents and let people know that you have a wide range of talents and a variety of themes that you can tackle.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, though I wonder if it leaves your readers not knowing what's coming next ...  ;) I find the anthologies are where I produce my best writing and yes, you do get noticed, I think. Now I'm a more established writer here, I get good feedback on my entries (and the proofreading edits are educational as well). My first entry was also my first freestanding long piece. I learnt a huge amount doing it, but it got little attention - I wasn't known and it was experimental in layout. Not a good combination. :blink: So far, I've found the themes creatively exciting and challenging.  :) 

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

The great thing about anthologies is they can be whatever the author wishes them to be.  For a newbie author, it's a great way to get recognition and readers they might not otherwise.  For established authors, anthologies can be a way to explore and experiment, or try a previously-unexplored genre.  When I write for an anthology, I try to come up with a question I want answered and see where it takes me.  The questions are seldom easily answered and also have multiple interpretations.  I like to make readers think and try to see things from a different perspective.  For the upcoming Fall 2018 anthology, I'm exploring a genre I've dabbled in a bit but want to tackle more of.  Urban fantasy.  :) 

• Like 4

I think that most authors give off a certain 'glow' when they write. No matter the topic, every writer tackles a topic in their own way. Readers can pick up on that. Even if it's not your usual genre or style, if readers can recognize pieces of 'you' in the writing, then they might enjoy it just the same. It's in the way you APPROACH the theme, the words you use, the characters you create...if you can get new readers to give you a chance and they decide that they like what they see...then they'll follow you back to your favorite works without question. That's been my experience so far.

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator
On 10/30/2018 at 8:07 AM, BHopper2 said:

Now, I'm wondering if I have enough time to write a second one

I'm trying very hard to have 4 total for this one.  2 in each.  I have one written and in editing and the other 3 are in various states of completion, but mapped out in my head.

I'd say, if you have time, do another.  If you miss, adapt it for the next one or release a stand-alone. :)  Nothing goes to waste.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
  • Site Administrator
23 minutes ago, Myr said:

I'm trying very hard to have 4 total for this one.  2 in each.  I have one written and in editing and the other 3 are in various states of completion, but mapped out in my head.

I'd say, if you have time, do another.  If you miss, adapt it for the next one or release a stand-alone. :)  Nothing goes to waste.

:D  I can't wait to read them.  I think my record is 4 for the Special Anthology, but it might have been 3.  I'll only have one for this one.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Myr said:

First off... my inner fanboy is squealing right now. Can't wait to read them.

I don't think I have time for another before the deadline and my class load for Uni. This current course is kicking my backside. However, I have one planned for Spring and Fall next year.

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Myr said:

I have yet to even do one, just no ideas, and my muse seems to be on a very long vacation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Myr said:

I'm trying very hard to have 4 total for this one.

I'm gobsmacked. :blink:  I hope they're short. I have enough trouble doing one, but there again, I've yet to do one under 10,000 words.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Site Administrator
4 minutes ago, Comicality said:

Wait, did I miss something? What's the new anthology? And when is the deadline?

Can't make any promises, but I'd jump in if possible. :) 

Here are the links to the discussion thread and the thread with the posting guidelines. The deadline to send to the proof team is November 15th.  :) 

• Like 3

Whoah! That's coming up fast!

Ummm...I'll give it my best effort! hehehe, Ill get my brain box working on one of the two ideas.

I'm finishing up Imagine Magazine for Nov 15th at the moment, but I'll do what I can! :P 

Might be fun!!!

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
11 minutes ago, northie said:

It can be as short as you like ...  ;)

It has to be a minimum of 1,000 words, up to 25,000 words :) 

• Like 2

I'm trying to stay awake long enough to finish up this story for the anthology. I hope it doesn't seem a bit rushed, though. I'll get it to you on time if humanly possible.

The story is called "Wounded"! So keep an eye out for it...ummm...if I can hurry up and finish! LOL!

• Love 3