Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

I'm reading a story on Nifty called Distant Thunder. It's about a twenty-something guy who has a familial obligation to host his eighteen-year-old cousin (just out of high school) at his "art studio" for the summer. Well, it's really just an old caravan that he rents for about $90 a month.  :rolleyes:They're located on Pamlico Sound, which is my dream vacation destination.  :gikkle:  So, I'm enjoying the story, but it could be better. Sometimes, the younger man sounds like Bridget Bellevue from Circumnavigation. "Is he 18 or 80?" I ask myself.  :rofl:

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Page Scrawler said:

I'm reading a story on Nifty called Distant Thunder. It's about a twenty-something guy who has a familial obligation to host his eighteen-year-old cousin (just out of high school) at his "art studio" for the summer. Well, it's really just an old caravan that he rents for about $90 a month.  :rolleyes:They're located on Pamlico Sound, which is my dream vacation destination.  :gikkle:  So, I'm enjoying the story, but it could be better. Sometimes, the younger man sounds like Bridget Bellevue from Circumnavigation. "Is he 18 or 80?" I ask myself.  :rofl:

So off-putting when this happens, imo. Goes for all age groups. People don't talk like that! :facepalm:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Thorn Wilde said:

So off-putting when this happens, imo. Goes for all age groups. People don't talk like that! :facepalm:

Tells you that either 1) English isn't the writer's primary language, or 2) the writer hasn't read many stories with kids or young adults as the protagonist. Or 3), the writer is trying to show off how many fancy words they know.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, Headstall said:

I hate writing that tries to impress me... just be real... write about what you know and connect with, and don't talk down to me because I'm probably smarter than you. :P JK.  That sounded judgey, didn't it... oh well....

OMG

• Haha 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..