Adulting is Hard

2 hours ago, MrM said:

I've grown old enough to understand that I don't want to be an adult so I refuse.

As for my main foible, when I get on my soapbox and start to pontificate at my friends I go full orator mode and start projecting my voice. Generally, its something the others want to keep discrete and I have to be reminded to quiet down or I scare them. The problem is that I used to be timid and afraid all the time because I hated myself for being gay so I didn't talk or say too much. Once I was freed of that I became uncontainable which lends me to being my true self which is a combative loudmouth with delusions warriorhood. There are times when it's helpful to have a filter unless you're armed to the teeth. :P

I was a shy and quiet kid, so much so that I used to get in trouble at school for not answering questions when called on, even though I knew the answer.  Moving around a lot forced me to get over that and the more excited, passionate or angry I get, the more my volume goes up.  My friends have to remind me to quiet down, especially if I am expressing my point of view on something controversial.  Once I was getting heated in a topic with a coworker that I was riding to a conference with and she started stating " I agree, I agree!" because she thought I was yelling AT her instead of just yelling in general. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, CassieQ said:

I was a shy and quiet kid, so much so that I used to get in trouble at school for not answering questions when called on, even though I knew the answer.  Moving around a lot forced me to get over that and the more excited, passionate or angry I get, the more my volume goes up.  My friends have to remind me to quiet down, especially if I am expressing my point of view on something controversial.  Once I was getting heated in a topic with a coworker that I was riding to a conference with and she started stating " I agree, I agree!" because she thought I was yelling AT her instead of just yelling in general. 

See? I knew someone would understand! :D

4 hours ago, Dmrman said:

Well, I would say that is some important information for ones Arsenal...😄😆😆 MrM who would have ever known...???😒🙄🤔 😁😁It must be a rare thing, I have never known you to be the least bit that way, not that I want too... Just saying it OUT LOUD...!!

There are moments in my Comsie spin-off Brandon Smiling where Brandon starts to rant.

That's TOTALLY me! :P

Basically, I think my friends just hear "RANT, RANT, RANTRANT, RANTRANTRANT, RANT RANT!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, MrM said:

I've grown old enough to understand that I don't want to be an adult so I refuse.

As for my main foible, when I get on my soapbox and start to pontificate at my friends I go full orator mode and start projecting my voice. Generally, its something the others want to keep discrete and I have to be reminded to quiet down or I scare them. The problem is that I used to be timid and afraid all the time because I hated myself for being gay so I didn't talk or say too much. Once I was freed of that I became uncontainable which lends me to being my true self which is a combative loudmouth with delusions warriorhood. There are times when it's helpful to have a filter unless you're armed to the teeth. :P

Yeah, I do this too, a bit... But I've always been like that. No wonder I got bullied in school, lol!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Well, I happen to like both beards and body hair. And I like the opposite too. And frankly, I think it's kind of crappy of you to essentially body shame people who are on this site and can read what you're saying in public, @droughtquake. Who cares what's in fashion? And saying people with body and facial hair are lazy is just ignorant. A lot of work goes into a well maintained beard. We should celebrate people's right to look however they want, and allow them to be happy with the bodies nature gave them. Having grown up female and feeling immense pressure to conform by shaving every part of my body, I've envied men who are able to live relatively unhindered by that kind of prejudice. Both men, women, and non-binary people deserve to be able to go through life without anyone telling them they need to change their bodies in order to be attractive.

I don’t think people pay attention to my likes and dislikes. I didn’t intend to body shame anyone. I’m sorry I offended you and anyone else. No ‘if’ or any other attempt to evade responsibility.

2 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I don’t think people pay attention to my likes and dislikes. I didn’t intend to body shame anyone. I’m sorry I offended you and anyone else. No ‘if’ or any other attempt to evade responsibility.

Thank you. I appreciate that, my friend.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Dmrman said:

Well, now if I feel inclined to body shame I just go look in a mirror and think have you ever seen so much sagging an drooping...???😊😁😁 then the real reality when I say my "God I have become my Father, how did that happen...?😄😁😁" whether the eyesight is failing I don't know...? Or am I just accepting I can't change that aspect of life gracefully, cause I  sure as hell can't afford a body makeover... I'd be broke...😁😁 so it's advanced life applying the principles of "Me, my life, my body 101" only too much greater extremes...😄🤣🤣 called "extreme Mature sagging, mind, and funny noises 102" which in shortened form is 2nd  Childhood...🤔😆🤣

I think Jordan and Kipp will be fighting Adulting...and Dennis and I don't mind...👶👶 they are my babies...so is Ash, and my other foster kids...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

I think Jordan and Kipp will be fighting Adulting...and Dennis and I don't mind...👶👶 they are my babies...so is Ash, and my other foster kids...

I’m glad you live in an area enlightened enough to allow you to foster kids. There are many places where they cut their nose off to spite their face and do extra harm to foster kids by not allowing all qualified and certified people to foster. They say kids are the most important thing and yet they do things that are counterproductive.

8 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I’m glad you live in an area enlightened enough to allow you to foster kids. There are many places where they cut their nose off to spite their face and do extra harm to foster kids by not allowing all qualified and certified people to foster. They say kids are the most important thing and yet they do things that are counterproductive.

Will Kipp is incontinent and Jordan sleepwets at night. When Dennis and I got Kipp, he thought we would hit him for setting, but we told him we would never. Jordan decided to ask us if he could wear diapers to support Kipp, so now they wear them. Kipp loves us...so does his bio-sister and bio-brother....💓

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Dmrman said:

Zander...😒 Keep score let me know how it works out...maybe the Fountain of youth... Course may be too late for me...??🙄🤣🤣

I'm trying to find the fountain of youth....but I think it got paved over if it is in Florida...😀

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

I'm trying to find the fountain of youth....but I think it got paved over if it is in Florida...😀

I thought the real Fountain of Youth got drained to build Disney World or a new subdivision…
;–)

Edited by Former Member
  • 3 months later...

Getting older is hard, or "Adulting" - I thought that when I got older that having friends would be just as easy as when I was younger.  But when your friends are all getting married or working on their careers, no it's not as easy.  Getting older and being alone is my thing I'm not doing well, and yes I guess mine is a little more intense and maybe it's not the point of the topic, but it was the first thing I thought of.

I had a friend in Florida that I was roommates with for about four months.  I miss him greatly and I wish that I could have him back.  I then thought I would write a story about him and make it kind of an escape from the hell I was feeling.  I don't know if it's a good thing, but it's my way of dealing--writing is always my way of dealing.

So yeah, loneliness is not something I do well, especially when I'm longing for companionship. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • 2 weeks later...

What an interesting thread to find given that I just had words with my boyfriend. I taught him a life lesson that if you use the hoover to suck up food from the kitchen floor that it would be wise to empty the dust trap when the task is complete. It sounds reasonable don't you reckon? I found rotting food (cauliflower) in the filter from when he last tried to help out and clean up. 

I wasn't this naive when moving out of home when I was 18, when I ended up relocating overseas. I made heaps of mistakes since I was not properly inducted into the world of Adults. I can't iron clothes to save my life. If I try (despite the iron) I end up wrecking the clothes. The dry cleaner is getting rich off my hard work. I also suppose my Aussie sense of humour isn't as funny as I think it is. Cracking jokes on the underground or to the butcher tend to be misunderstood. It is hard to keep calm and carry on in this wonderful country.

Also, the lost art of writing a complaint. I perfected in Australia when I was dissatisfied and it usually led to a positive response. Here though, perhaps it is the Aussie humour I inject into the diatribe that I will send on occasion has led to suggestions that I will get my buttocks kicked if I return and my commerce is no longer welcomed. 

Like learning that clothes do not like languishing in a damp state in the washing machine for a week, like with the rotting food in the hoover, lessons learned.

• Like 1
On 11/7/2019 at 6:42 AM, chezdon1997 said:

Cracking jokes on the underground or to the butcher tend to be misunderstood. It is hard to keep calm and carry on in this wonderful country.

You’d probably get a better reception for your jokes here in the US, especially in California. Even if we didn’t get the joke, we love Aussie accents! And there are lots of Australian expats here because there are so many similarities and parallels between Australia and California – but I wish we didn’t have so many groves of giant matchbooks (aka eucalyptus trees) on our dry hillsides!
;–)

1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

we love Aussie accents!
;–)

I was last in California nearly three years ago to the day. Besides the old nugget of "show us your ID, it is not legal to drink if you are 19" but my Aussie drivers license confused most including the managers that would inspect it, I found being in the area challenging as nobody could or bothered to try to understand me. It is an interesting place where it took six hours to drive from Sherman Oaks to San Diego where I thought I was going to go berserk and have a heart attack shouting in traffic, to be annoying that I have to tip for everything. Never carrying cash in England (or Oz) is a thing to prevent the black market from flourishing and the vagrants hearing coins rattling, which was bemusing. However, I loved the amazing Mexican food and service-oriented mentality (thus tips)

I spent a few years in Malibu as a tween and can understand the dilemma of the local eucalytus sans koalas) but still remain in awe of the grapes and what are produced in Santa Barbara. So much so, that I disgraced myself there where my accent made up for suitable ID to prove my age to taste the wonderful wine. Oh, those are the days... :)

Chez

• Like 1

I was born in what became Silicon Valley, but lived in Hawaii (8 years) and San Diego (11 Years) as a child before returning to the Bay Area. Few outside the LA Basin love LA. The rest of us hate it for the sheer waste (water wasting habits, nouveau riche tastes, seemingly endless traffic jams, etc). Guess it’s a good thing you didn’t make it to the Bay Area’s world-class Wine Country.
;–)

In the Sixties and Seventies, hippies used to congregate on Highway 101’s island’s in downtown Santa Barbara. They’d have their cardboard signs with their eventual destinations marked on them. This was when there were still stoplights and it was just a regular, but busy, surface street through town.

The labels have changed, but the lure of California still draws in young and restless unemployed people with big dreams. The high cost of living, especially housing, prevents many minimum wage employees from finding permanent accommodations. Others have run into debt (as I did) or other troubles that cause them to lose their shelter.

Personally, I don’t hand out cash, but I regularly donate to groups (which are not affiliated with organized religious groups) that help the poor.

It is extremely difficult to escape homelessness. I managed it about 27 months after I was evicted only because I won my Social Security Disability case. Conjuring up instant housing sounds like the solution, but isn’t possible (nowhere to build that much housing; who funds the rent subsidies?) and doesn’t solve the actual cause of many cases of homelessness. Many, but not all, homeless people suffer from mental health or addiction issues. There aren’t enough spaces in programs to assist with those issues. There is a general lack of funding throughout the social services.

The stereotypical homeless person you see is only the tip of the iceberg. Couch-surfers are counted as homeless by the Feds. People who live in their cars or RVs are also officially homeless. Most of those people are employed and/or are students. A significant portion of the homeless aren’t included in the official statistics because they either don’t think of themselves as homeless or are too embarrassed to admit their status to anyone.

California is a victim of its own success.

Visit California, spend all your money here, and go home!
;–)