Profiles and Reviews

Often if I am interested in a story, I look at the author’s profile, or someone makes an interesting comment and I look at their profile. If they have an About Me, I read it, usually they don’t, or else they don’t say much, nothing more perhaps than, “Ask me!” Well I’m not really going to do that, am I? On the profile page it gives a number for Reviews, but no way to read them. Actually, and maybe I’m missing something, but I have found no way on the site to access book reviews. I often read a story because of a recommendation or review, it seems a shame not to be able to access the reviews people have written. If there is a way to bring up book reviews, please say how.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

The number of reviews thing isn't how many reviews the author has received but how many they've written.

I know it's the number of reviews a member has written. I'd like to be able to call up those reviews. I like to read stories by recommendation and a review is a good way to do this. The summaries on the front page of stories aren't long enough to know what the story is about. I dislike starting a story, junking it because I don't like it, picking up another, junking that, you can end up going through quite a few, I much prefer recommendations and reviews. I do look at the Ask An Author feature, but it features only the top authors on the site and not the new ones or all the others.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Marty said:

I suppose I should think about filling in the About Me section on my own profile one of these days... :unsure2:

I don't think it's a must do thing, but it helps promote your writing. Most people don't do it, or don't use it to any effect, at least most of the ones I've looked at.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

I know it's the number of reviews a member has written. I'd like to be able to call up those reviews. I like to read stories by recommendation and a review is a good way to do this. The summaries on the front page of stories aren't long enough to know what the story is about. I dislike starting a story, junking it because I don't like it, picking up another, junking that, you can end up going through quite a few, I much prefer recommendations and reviews. I do look at the Ask An Author feature, but it features only the top authors on the site and not the new ones or all the others.

Well, I did actually tell you how to see the reviews as well, maybe you should have read my entire post? I guess you and I read books differently. I look at genre, tags, and description. Those things together can tell you a lot, imo. As for whether there are reviews or not, there's not really much anyone can do about that, other than review other people's stories.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Brayon said:

There is a way to read the reviews someone has written, in a two-step process from their Profile page.

See these Pics:

Story Review 1.png

Story Review 2.png

Now you can read all of my reviews, that has made me the person as of today, with the most reviews on the site.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the trouble and the screen shots. The other suggestions from @Cia and @Ron are good, but what @Brayon suggested is the best. Maybe the tech people could consider making that a clickable link on people's reviews.

You see what I was trying to say is: if I like a member's comments and points of view about anything then I want to read what they think about a story they have read, if they have done a review, I want to read it, because I sort of trust what they are saying, it's completely independent. That for me is the best recommendation to read a story. 

The story synopsis, as someone pointed out, are much too short. If you were buying a book on Amazon, for example, you find a longer summary of the story, by choice, by clicking, more. You find reviews and the look inside. With that info you can decide to buy or not. Although here you don't buy the book, I still need the same degree of info to choose.

And yes @Thorn Wilde each person goes about choosing books to read differently, although I (naturally, lol) think my method is the most logical, but I probably didn't explain myself very well, and what I was looking to do.

Thanks to everyone who responded, because all of you contributed to getting me the answer I was looking for and getting your replies makes this a really great interactive site, thanks ☺

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Wow, I didn't know you could do that, @Cia, that's super useful! Thanks! :) 

Yeah, you can create custom Activity Streams to track a LOT of things happening on the site to keep you updated and in the know. And, as you can see with the option of "since my last visit" that even takes care of story updates if there's been more than one chapter posted, for instance, if you're following a few stories and the individual updates are buried in your notifications. :)

• Like 4