• 2 weeks later...

Shopping for me and two neighbours, I made the mistake on Friday of going to two shops during one trip. I know we British are meant to like queuing but even so... Just as well it was sunny.  :rolleyes:  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Signed up with a local delivery milkman 3 weeks ago who’s got his own cows, so one less thing to worry about :)

He’s now had to stop taking on new customers ‘cos the cows are being sucked dry... :( 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Made the weekly trip to the grocery store early this morning during "senior" hour and it wasn't too crowded.  The store has put up additional plastic barriers between the checker and the customer and everyone was wearing masks except for a few idiots.  The employees all had masks and gloves.  I sure hope the "idiots" who can't follow directions don't spoil it for others.  The governor announced yesterday that all schools would remain closed for the rest of the academic year.  The remote learning via the internet and chromebooks for our local school district is continuing.  At the beginning of the school closures, our district gave out chromebooks to all students in elementary school as our highschool and middleschool kids already had them.  The most impacted students of course are the seniors who miss prom and all the parties and the last month of activities.  There will be a commencement for them to receive their diplomas....they just don't know when.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Can’t get masks in UK :(

Even if we could, apparently they’re single use so each person would need quite a lot...

People are told to maintain a 2metre “social distancing” gap - not possible on public transport and difficult in small shops. Larger shops seem to be marking out spaces on the floor at checkouts and operating “1 in 1 out”

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Zombie said:

Can’t get masks in UK :(

Even if we could, apparently they’re single use so each person would need quite a lot...

People are told to maintain a 2metre “social distancing” gap - not possible on public transport and difficult in small shops. Larger shops seem to be marking out spaces on the floor at checkouts and operating “1 in 1 out”

We're using cloth masks that loop over the ears.  Not really medical, but better than nothing.  We wash them with soap and water after each use and let them dry.

51j7Y-yW1TL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

A bandana and 2 rubber bands make a good mask.

Because of my woodworking, I had a couple of N95 ones in the bag with my sanding supplies. After each use, I spray it on the inside and outside with Lysol and allow them to dry.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Zombie said:

Signed up with a local delivery milkman 3 weeks ago who’s got his own cows, so one less thing to worry about :)

He’s now had to stop taking on new customers ‘cos the cows are being sucked dry... :( 

That’s not where I’ve heard the farmhands usually attach those things! And a cow might easily be confused by the similar location to where her udders are. Cattle are not the most intellectual beings…
;–)

On 4/5/2020 at 12:17 PM, northie said:

Shopping for me and two neighbours, I made the mistake on Friday of going to two shops during one trip. I know we British are meant to like queuing but even so... Just as well it was sunny.  :rolleyes:  :lol:

The queue at my local Sainsbury was about 300m (metres, not miles) yesterday, stretching out of the car park,down the main road and into a housing estate.

They said on the radio that people are baking at home more. How? I haven't seen a bag of flour in a shop for a month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Paqman said:

They said on the radio that people are baking at home more. How? I haven't seen a bag of flour in a shop for a month.

Some of us keep basic supplies at home. In a state where earthquakes could happen at any time, we try to maintain enough supplies to survive for at least 72 hours (but ideally two or more weeks) for emergency supplies to start showing up. Other disasters like power outages, fires, and floods are more likely to affect the supply chain in this area. Other regions are prone to hurricanes, tornadoes, and blizzards. This isn’t the disaster I was preparing for, but it’s definitely a disaster and I didn’t have to rush out to stock up in a panic.

If you have the space, buying in bulk can save you money too.

I live in a studio apartment, but I buy basics like toilet paper, paper towels, and Kleenex by the case. I need to buy more, but I currently have 6 or 7 gallons of bottled water stored. I also have a Family-sized Lifestraw for when my bottled water runs out.

I have dozens of rechargeable batteries. I have an external battery charger that can recharge my laptop, my iPad, my iPhone and/or the rechargeable batteries. I really would like to get a solar panel and the inverter needed to recharge the external battery.

And there are plenty of others who are much more prepared than I am…
;–)

3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Some of us keep basic supplies at home. In a state where earthquakes could happen at any time, we try to maintain enough supplies to survive for at least 72 hours (but ideally two or more weeks) for emergency supplies to start showing up. Other disasters like power outages, fires, and floods are more likely to affect the supply chain in this area. Other regions are prone to hurricanes, tornadoes, and blizzards. This isn’t the disaster I was preparing for, but it’s definitely a disaster and I didn’t have to rush out to stock up in a panic.

If you have the space, buying in bulk can save you money too.

I live in a studio apartment, but I buy basics like toilet paper, paper towels, and Kleenex by the case. I need to buy more, but I currently have 6 or 7 gallons of bottled water stored. I also have a Family-sized Lifestraw for when my bottled water runs out.

I have dozens of rechargeable batteries. I have an external battery charger that can recharge my laptop, my iPad, my iPhone and/or the rechargeable batteries. I really would like to get a solar panel and the inverter needed to recharge the external battery.

And there are plenty of others who are much more prepared than I am…
;–)

I'd have thought they'd have run out of it by now though.They stripped the shelves a month ago and the shops still don't have any, so unless it's all sponge cakes as bread uses more flour (1 bag equals 2 large loaves). I've got plain and self raising, I'm after whole-wheat bread flour.

I already had lots of toilet paper, bought in bulk ages ago.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Paqman said:

I'm after whole-wheat bread flour.

I'd like any kind of whole wheat flour ... my Husband is a diabetic and well white flour is poison anyway but worse for him. I don't bake a lot anymore, not as i once did for us, but i like to have a little bit around.

This  COVID 19 mess should be remembered as the Screw Thy Neighbour pandemic.

Good luck with finding flour.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Plain 405 and 550 flour, which is the white wheat flour here is easily found in the moment here, but none whole wheat, rye or spelt or any other special flour, not even a baking mix for bread. I didn`t knew, that my neighbours are as fond on baking their own bread as we are. LOL Yeast I ordered online in a professional bakery store. Yet, sinc my husband is obsessed with baking, we store 13 different types of flour at home (the 14th run out currently. I know, its totally crazy, but the outcome of his oven is convincing. 

And to the neighbourhood, we have this neighbour help portal here, which works nicely.

Edited by Lyssa
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Zombie said:

Actually my experience of good neighbourliness (which appears to be common across the nation) has been incredibly positive. I’m caring for my mother who is in a vulnerable group so I am also having to self-isolate, which means not going out for anything including shopping. The support from local neighbours and a recently formed neighbourhood support group has been fantastic, ensuring that we continue to have sufficient food - albeit basic. I’m not putting red peppers, chocolate, and hand-cooked with real smoked cheddar potato crisps - and more chocolate (you can never have too much) - on the shopping list...

You are very lucky ... it hasn't been that nice around here.  The hoarding of certain food stuffs, toilet paper, etc ... is unnecessary but people just don't seem to get that fact. So.. they will happily screw thy neighbour. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
46 minutes ago, Talo Segura said:

98034272_lapinpourpaques.jpg.c9fa841fa48184e3aa13971d1ead93b4.jpg

There selling a different version of the Easter bunny here (laugh or cry, I'm not sure which!).

I saw a story about a French company doing this. But whoever made the decision to use those particular eyes didn’t seem to realize how frightened the bunnies look!
;–)

2 hours ago, Zombie said:

We’re very lucky in the UK to have a national water supply (largely built by our amazing long-term planning Victorian ancestors) that provides excellent drinking water straight from the cold tap. I’ve never understood why so much (indeed any) bottled water is sold in the UK for ordinary home drinking. It’s a disgusting waste of resources and entirely unnecessary.

When I was living in the UK they found a dead body in our local reservoir and there were concerns about lead in the drinking water. Not saying it's any better here though. Canada has more fresh water lakes than the rest of the world put together. Clean water is one thing that should not be a problem here, but they still mess around with it, adding fluoride and crap, then charge you for the pleasure.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

When I was living in the UK they found a dead body in our local reservoir and there were concerns about lead in the drinking water. Not saying it's any better here though. Canada has more fresh water lakes than the rest of the world put together. Clean water is one thing that should not be a problem here, but they still mess around with it, adding fluoride and crap, then charge you for the pleasure.

as a family we always holidayed in mid Wales in a remote old stone cottage miles from the road (nearest neighbour was a mile away) with no electricity (oil lamps) or mains water - it was piped and gravity fed from a nearby mountain stream. Tasted sooo good. Sometimes the water ran brown from the pine cones / moss etc that fell into the stream. And you never knew what creatures might have drowned further upstream... 

And, yes, the water company still tried to charge!

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Zombie said:

We’re very lucky in the UK to have a national water supply (largely built by our amazing long-term planning Victorian ancestors) that provides excellent drinking water straight from the cold tap. I’ve never understood why so much (indeed any) bottled water is sold in the UK for ordinary home drinking. It’s a disgusting waste of resources and entirely unnecessary.

I don’t buy the individual-sized bottles – especially not the ones that are shipped halfway around the world!

I need to keep (gallon) containers of water on hand in case an earthquake cuts off the water supply. The pipeline crosses several major faultlines and if the epicenter is near one of those pipes, we could lose water for months! There are local reservoirs, but they only hold days-worth of water. There are also plans in place to share water with other water districts (which have separate pipelines) in an emergency, but that would spread the reduced volume of water across most of the region.

The situation in Southern California is even more risky. They have three different major sources for water and each aqueduct crosses several different faultlines. Any one of those faultlines could rupture and they’d have to severely ration water.

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

When I was living in the UK they found a dead body in our local reservoir and there were concerns about lead in the drinking water.

Dead British people are made out of lead?
;–)

There have been wild proposals to build a chain of lakes through the Cascades in Washington and Oregon to import water from British Columbia to California. I somehow doubt that anyone outside California would ever agree to any of that! We really should be reusing the water that we already have…
;–)

3 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

There have been wild proposals to build a chain of lakes through the Cascades in Washington and Oregon to import water from British Columbia to California. I somehow doubt that anyone outside California would ever agree to any of that! We really should be reusing the water that we already have…

Is that California State or California Nation?

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Is that California State or California Nation?

Gavin Newsom like to call us a Nation-State. We are the fifth largest economy in the world. We outnumber the other CA.
;–)