Cultural Appropriation

This is my attempt to extricate an off-topic discussion from another thread. The subject of heterosexual women being able to write gay fiction is not something new, I've heard different takes on it since before joining GA. In a private conversation, another author once referred to the practice as cultural appropriation. I have no idea if that's realistic. However, I do know certain individuals have no concept of what gay men do or say amongst themselves. I was once accused of writing unrealistic dialogue for a group of men. The person raising the objection claimed she had been around gay men for a long time and her acquaintances never spoke the way I showed. My counter argument, supported by several readers, was that the moment a female was introduced into a group of males, the conversation dynamics most often changed. She would not experience the type of interchange I portrayed.

However, does her writing a MM romance constitute cultural appropriation?

I'm not sure. Did I commit the same error when I wrote something called Black Lives Matter from the point of view of a single, young, straight, black male?

Writing female characters, and I have done so plenty of times, is always a challenge. I would hate to upset someone by not getting it right. Writing from a black man's POV terrified me. I had a couple of black friends read what I'd written and was told, although not perfect, it was decent enough not to be offensive.

I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I think this link is appropriate to the discussion:

https://greenheart.org/blog/greenheart-international/cultural-appreciation-vs-cultural-appropriation-why-it-matters/

“Appreciation is when someone seeks to understand and learn about another culture in an effort to broaden their perspective and connect with others cross-culturally. Appropriation on the other hand, is simply taking one aspect of a culture that is not your own and using it for your own personal interest.”

I think we can find examples of both in gay fiction. The careful research and willingness to seek out the perspective of others is key. 

1 hour ago, Carlos Hazday said:

My counter argument, supported by several readers, was that the moment a female was introduced into a group of males, the conversation dynamics most often changed. She would not experience the type of interchange I portrayed.

I have heard about this too, from the perspective of trans men entering male spaces and observing how differently the conversation goes when a woman isn’t present. 

So yes, inevitably there will be some aspects of the gay male experience that women cannot access. Can a woman still write gay stories realistically? I don’t see why not. 

This discussion can easily steer in the direction of offending women on the site, but I think it’s important. We need to rationally look at ourselves and how we approach writing about a marginalized group. I just hope anyone who adds to the conversation will be mindful and respectful of each other’s perspectives, and avoid misogynistic statements.

On that note, referring to women as “females” may seem harmless, but there is a trend of men using the word as a tool for othering / dehumanizing women. So if we want the conversation to be inclusive, the term “women” is better.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, headtransplant said:

On that note, referring to women as “females” may seem harmless, but there is a trend of men using the word as a tool for othering / dehumanizing women. So if we want the conversation to be inclusive, the term “women” is better.

I've had this discussion with my editor before. My use of female was in the same sentence as males. See the quote below.

23 minutes ago, headtransplant said:

a female was introduced into a group of males

So if my use of female is not PC, does the same apply to my use of males? Sometimes our society seems to find fault/take offense at even the tiniest of things.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I've had this discussion with my editor before. My use of female was in the same sentence as males. See the quote below.

I noticed that, and don’t think your use was offensive. I just want commenters to be careful about word choice because it’s a sensitive topic and the conversation can so easily get derailed. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Mawgrim said:

I just re-read my own post and realised I'm inadvertently guilty of the same thing! It's so easy to make mistakes.

I don’t think you used the word in an offensive manner. Now I’m starting to think I inadvertently derailed the conversation 😅 It really is easy to make mistakes. It’s no big deal as long as everyone’s being respectful, and I think we are.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Mawgrim said:

I understand the need to be careful when writing about characters who are different from ourselves, either in colour, gender, sexual orientation, nationality or anything else. If it's done sensitively and well, then hopefully it encourages readers to empathise with those characters.

Have you been reading my stories? Your list reads like my cast of characters. LOL

• Haha 2
46 minutes ago, Krista said:

I don't know... all of those have too many four or five syllable words listed within the ingredients to be good for you.

So does lube! I just checked. Hydroxyethylcellolose and methylparaben to name just a few of the ingredients.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Mrsgnomie said:

One last thing. I have never been offended by someone using the word female. Obviously, context is important. But the word woman can also be extremely offensive. “What did I tell you, Woman?!”

I suppose you can take offense to anything if you want.

After reading everyone’s comments I realize my original statement on woman/female was unnecessary. Agreed that context is really the only factor in whether or not a term will offend, and that being too careful can have a negative effect on conversation too. Live and learn :) 

It’s been so great to read everyone’s perspective. I’m surprised you have gotten so much heat from readers, @Mrsgnomie. I feel like I’d be pretty crushed if that happened to me so kudos for keeping your cool.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, headtransplant said:

It’s been so great to read everyone’s perspective. I’m surprised you have gotten so much heat from readers, @Mrsgnomie. I feel like I’d be pretty crushed if that happened to me so kudos for keeping your cool.

I get enough positive reinforcement that the rest roll off...mostly lol

Edited by Mrsgnomie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1