Imagine Question For 3/31 - A Boy's Burden

zburden

Do you feel it sometimes? Does it sometimes feel unfair?

There are many members of the LGBTQ+ community, and we come in all shapes, sizers, colors, cultures, and genders. It's a natural part of life. You'd think people would have just learned to deal with it by now...even the stubborn ones. But when the hatred and the ridicule and the demonization of people comes around...do you feel like it's a lot harder on boys than it is for girls?

I mean, ladies can be gay too. Ladies can be transgender. And it's beautiful. But...while it's not like they don't face their own trials and tribulations when it comes to being who they are or coming out to their parents...why does it feel like boy's always get it the worst? Is there really a difference? Are boys not supposed to be intimate with one another? Is the idea of them having sex really that 'disgusting' in comparison? What do you guys think? Are the scales unbalanced when it comes to being male or female? And feel free to share your personal experiences, both ladies and gentlemen, on this. And anonymous responses are more than welcome, as always. We just want to have a decent conversation on this with a few different perspectives, so throw your two cents in!

I'll keep an eye out for ya! :)

• Love 3

I can’t talk to what the female experience is with being gay or trans because I am male, but I can cite some observations I’ve made over the years as an American gay male.

I think guy-on-guy homophobia can get very bad. Murderously so in some instances. Where straight and questioning males seem to be able to enjoy the reality of lesbian intimacy, these same guys can find gay intimacy abhorrent. I think it is a fear of emasculation, especially among questioning males. This fear appears to be visceral and instinctive for some guys. Their insecurity with their own sexuality is such that any challenge to it needs to be confronted with overwhelming force on pain of perceived social emasculation before females and male peers. This can make things dangerous for gay males who’s very existence seems to challenge these insecure males. This is particularly true when the males are young and just finding themselves socially and sexually.

American society has either inadvertently (or by design in some quarters) given license to males to ‘defend their sexual honor’ by any means necessary. This license has opened the door to bullying and outright violent crime being visited on gay males by some straight or questioning males. As homosexuality becomes more normalized across the nation, this license is slowly being revoked, but it is still in effect in less progressive parts of the country and among older generations.

Because of this, I think that gay males in America do still face significant challenges to their physical and social safety in society. It is far less than what it was when I was a boy a long time ago, but it is still a significant challenge.

• Love 2

To be honest...it's been my personal experience that guys get it WAY worse than ladies do, and I don't know why. I mean, neither side should be getting picked on at all, but when it happens...it's like the idea of two men or two boys kissing just seems to freak homophobes out. Or even if they're not homophobic...there still seems to be this unnatural aversion to the idea.

One of my cousins...she has two kids and played straight for almost her whole life...and then one night she just showed up to dinner with a 'girlfriend'. Now, my family is not as gay friendly as I'd like them to be, but nobody gave her any grief for it. They barely said a word. Something tells me that if I were to pop up with a boyfriend in front of my family it would be an entirely different scenario. In fact, I'm sure some of them would bite their tongue, but they'd probably get uncomfortable and leave early. And that's exactly why I don't tell them.

I also have an aunt who's m2f trans, and she barely feels welcome at all. She stops by to say hello or maybe grab a plate of food, and everybody is nice to her, but it's still not the same. You know? Even growing up, being called a 'fag' was considered the worst thing ever. I've been accused of being gay for not watching the football game on Sunday. What? WHY??? And who cares? I keep trying to figure it out, but there doesn't seem to be any logical reason for it to be that way.

Of course, being a lesbian comes with its own set of challenges and hardships...but whenever it comes to schools, or politics, or sports, or religion...why is it always the boys that bear the brunt of the attack all the time? You can just listen to them and tell who they're talking about. When it's two girls...people picture kissing and lace and silk sheets. When it's two boys? They frown up and think of something more akin to a prison RAPE scene or something. That hardly seems fair to me.

Who taught us to think this way? Who taught us that it was our business to think about it at all?

• Love 2

Speaking from personal experience, boys definitely have it worse than girls. Though, that's not to make light of girls' problems with homophobia. I feel like men (and boys) are held to some mythical "higher standard" that doesn't allow them to express emotions or affection for other males. Even if the relationship with that other male is strictly platonic, as in Lukas Dhont's new film, "Close", in which two boys are forced apart after their close friendship is scrutinized by their peers. But as I said, this so-called "higher standard" is a myth. Because if you treat someone like crap based on some perceived stereotype of gay people or gay sex being "unnatural"? You aren't better than homosexual people or anyone else; YOU are the animal.

• Love 3

LOOK!!! See??? :( 

Do you see what I mean? This was posted just a few hours ago...

I mean, first of all...what the FUCK is this guy's fucking problem??? But look at how little these random T-Shirts are. They're for LITTLE boys for Christ sake! Little! Why can't they have a rainbow on it? How is that destroying anybody's masculinity? And what do you do if the GIRL'S T-shirts have rainbows and unicorns and mermaids on them? What then? He doesn't seem to give a shit about ruining their femininity.

This is all such BULLSHIT!!!

• Wow 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..