[dkstories] THE BULLY IS BACK !

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Hip, hip, hooray :D )^3

A relatively quiet chapter, with Danny knocking down roadblocks to friendship faster than Eddie can throw them up. Danny is wiling to admit that he really needs a friend. Gutsy. Will morning be awkward or otherwise memorable? Or shall we fast forward to school and football practice?

(Hip, hip, hooray :D )^3

A relatively quiet chapter, with Danny knocking down roadblocks to friendship faster than Eddie can throw them up. Danny is wiling to admit that he really needs a friend. Gutsy. Will morning be awkward or otherwise memorable? Or shall we fast forward to school and football practice?

I noticed the demolition of roadblocks, too. :great:

I was very skeptical about Eddie at first, wondering just how likable a character he could be. Not all of DK's protagonists are what I would call good people (Jarrod won't be getting himself a humanitarian award any time soon :P ) but I like Eddie. The part about "friends can hurt" was especially poignant.

I'm very curious as to what morning will hold, too.

The great belly-button debate seems not have had time to make an impression on my pre-teen brain before I was able to choose my own religion. My Internet search this weekend awakened no memories. Taking a fresh look now from my Buddhist perspective, I think Michaelangelo got it right, but no matter. This debate apparently stopped publication of a pamphlet destined for our WWII fighters entitled "The Races of Mankind". No surprise in that, but surely such a booklet was on almost no one's list of essential reading in the fox-hole.

Really great chapter, Mr. Kirk. :2thumbs:

People like Danny...well, I just can't get enough of them - strength and caring, honest and forthright...they're so disarming. The community newspaper will no doubt carry the following headline,

Town Bully Experiences Meltdown!

Because I want to be your friend.
People like Danny...well, I just can't get enough of them - strength and caring, honest and forthright...they're so disarming.
Yeah, but let's look at it from Eddie's point of view:

My three strategies for dealing my unwanted state of being are:

1. I refuse to name it or confront it directly. That would only encourage it. Maybe if I ignore and mistreat it (or anyone unlucky or stupid enough to be at hand), it will go away.

2. I discourage friendships with anyone who might expose that unmentionable thing. I keep the number people I need on my side to the absolute minimum. Everyone else, keep away!

3. Bullying is the tactic of choice for #2. A side benefit of bullying is my bad reputation, which lessens the risk of exposure, because most everyone dislikes me anyway.

Along comes Danny, who says that most kids I bullied remember the old me and want to like me. Crap, the risk of exposure is higher than I thought; strategy #3 isn't working. Then Danny worms his way past my defenses in no time, so strategy #2 is crumbling, making #1 unworkable, because I'm going to have to not only face up to the thing, but also expose it to Danny. The longer I wait, the greater the downside risks and the less chance I have to control the way I disclose it. How is preacher-boy Danny going to take this news. He wants to help me on his terms. How about on my terms?

Dan--

I think this is some of your finest writing ever. No special effects. Just great characters interacting, and plot at the service of the characters instead of vice versa.

--Rigel

I really am glad that people are enjoying this. Right now I'm about two-thirds of the way through Chapter Four, which hopefully means that it'll go to the editor by the middle of the week and we'll have a Tuesday chapter for you the day after Labor Day.

:)

I think this chapter is hilarious, but I'll wait to see what others think when they read it to make a final judgment.

I really am glad that people are enjoying this. Right now I'm about two-thirds of the way through Chapter Four, which hopefully means that it'll go to the editor by the middle of the week and we'll have a Tuesday chapter for you the day after Labor Day.

I think this chapter is hilarious, but I'll wait to see what others think when they read it to make a final judgment.

Hi!

Ok, so I'm really glad to hear that there will be a new chapter up pretty soon! :2thumbs: I have really been loving this story. I think the characters are awsome and I can't wait to see where this will lead.

Thanks for writing!!! :worship:

- Kaiten

Damn! I hoped I were first to write a notice. ;)

Like the new site design, by the way. But the colors of the new chapter are awful. Violet background with the text in a greenish gray? Brr! *shudders*

But I'll read it anyway...

Regards,

Daniel

Edited by TheDaniel

WOOT! Great, great chapter. :worship: This has to be the first time that I'm dying for the next chapter where the current chapter didn't end in some anxiety ridden cliffhanger! :great:

There was so much to enjoy. The scenario Danny created on the first day of school was just a hoot. The dialogue was awesome. I always enjoy good dialogue. The ongoing flow of Eddie's thoughts really worked for me as well. The relationships are fascinating, particularly the ones between Danny and his father and Eddie and his grandfather. There's so much to look forward to there.

Danny's behaviour, from the couch scene on, floored me at first. I wasn't expecting that from the "preacher's boy". Somehow I just went with it and eventually ended up laughing as hard as Joey did. Danny has a lot more depth than I originally imagined - there's a 'bad boy' in there and it seems his father has experienced it more than just a few times. I'm sure there's more to come. :read:

Thanks for this story.

Conner :boy:

but did anyone like the new chapter (or the redesigned web page?)

Chapter four of The Bully is the best one yet, Dan!

Great dialog among the guys at school.

-0-0-0-0-0-

And I love the "redux" on your site - neatly laid out and stunning colors!

Alan

Yeah, this story keeps getting better. Eddie and Danny have developed into thoroughly loveable characters. I can't help rooting for them both. I love where I think this story is headed. I would not want to debate Daniel. That boy is fast on his feet! He seems to be using his family reputation and his considerable wit to blaze a trail for Eddie, but how does he personally feel about gays? I can't tell!

There many chuckles along the way, but what keeps my lips curled up is the contrast between these two images: Eddie growling, scowling, and bullying his way through school, and Eddie allowing the (formerly artsy-fartsy) Danny to drool on him at night. :D

The selection panel at left is great, and would be even greater if you tied the vertical scroll bar to the story instead of the entire page, so the selection panel would not scroll out of sight.

Edited by knotme
but did anyone like the new chapter (or the redesigned web page?)

I liked the new look, and also the new graphics (including the "The Bully" one).

As for the chapter, the best of the series so far IMHO! Definitely some unexpected twists there! I love the character of "Daniel", he's far more complex than I assumed at the start, and I was surprised by a heck of a lot!

BTW, speaking of changes and such to web sites, and chance that "the Bully" will be getting it's own sub-forum? It certainly deserves it IMHO.

Yeah, this story keeps getting better. Eddie and Danny have developed into thoroughly lovable characters. I can't help rooting for them both. I love where I think this story is headed. I would not want to debate Daniel. That boy is fast on his feet! He seems to be using his family reputation and his considerable wit to blaze a trail for Eddie, but how does he personally feel about gays? I can't tell!

I assumed at the start that Daniel was gay, and that Eddie was in denial. I think I'm wrong. I think Eddie is gay, but I'm no longer sure about the denial. The comment about "my cup is to tight for this" when Daniel was playing on their "joke" makes me think he knows he's attracted to guys.

Daniel, though, I was sure was gay, but now I am thinking otherwise. He's obviously very gay-accepting, but that kind of clowning around doesn't strike me as something a gay guy would ever do, and certainly not a closeted one.

I really, really liked Daniel's sense of humor!

Joel, though, given his interest in the subject of "curing" homosexuality, is one I'm betting is gay.

Eddie's fight with his father explains a lot to me, such as his bullying. He's darn lucky his bigger than his father, and also that he has such great grandparents. I loved his Grandfather's "unconditional love", and the fact he made a point of mentioning it (I'm betting he suspects).

I loved this chapter! Best so far! Thank you, DK and Emoe!!

After I read the chapter and slept over it, I want to write a few encouraging words.

Great chapter IMHO. As is already pointed out, the discussion and joke, at the fireplace, is really good and quite funny. It also gives more depth to Daniel, with being a detour form his previous "good boy"-persona.

But I'm not sure if this is my favorite chapter. Chapter 2, where the relationship between Daniel and Eddie develops, is also one of my favs.

Great story so far. As always I'm anxious for more. ;)

PS:

Hehe. I think I also spotted a typo. Shouldn't it be "hear" insted of "here"? As a foreinger I'm quite good at spotting these kind of errors. ;)

“Don’t ever call me ‘preacher’s boy’ again, you here?” Daniel snarled, all trace of laughter gone from his voice. “You can call me ‘sir’, you can call me ‘master’, but you call me anything else and I’ll make you wish you’d never been born.”
Edited by TheDaniel
I liked the new look, and also the new graphics (including the "The Bully" one).
Yeah, the in-your-face font is perfect :P
I loved his Grandfather's "unconditional love", and the fact he made a point of mentioning it (I'm betting he suspects).
For sure he suspects! Only a fool for a grandfather would drop this line on his grandson for no reason: "Even if that damn joke of yours was true, you’d still be welcome here." A pile of evidence says Grandpa's no fool.

Oh, and for those of you surprised that Daniel is not all sweetness and light, may I recommend Aretha Franklin's classic take on this.

Edited by knotme

Daniel is based on a person I knew when I was kid...another Preacher's kid that just exuded that 'good-boy' attitude when he thought it was necessary...and who taught me how to get up to no good without getting grounded or spanked...