[dkstories] The Rider's Pride

• Site Administrator

I hope I'm not out of place, but he's just put up a sneak peak of a new story which I'm already in love with :)

I won't put up a link because he's indicated the sneak peak isn't going to be there forever....

:worship: Thanks, Dan!

Too late! Its gone... :o I hope many of you got to read the sneak peek at the first chapter of "The Riders Pride". I'm sure it will reappear with its own button in the story section at some point real soon.

• Site Administrator

I certainly hope so. The dragonriders of Pern have always been one of my all-time top favourites, and I'm very pleased to see Dan adding to the collection of stories. He's done a fantastic job of staying true to the style, too.

Any hint on when the story will start to post....?

I loved this chapter! It looks like it is going to be one heck of a story. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

One thing I especially liked: It is a "free standing" story, in that it gives enough backstory that it is not necessary to have read the Pern series to "get" this story.

It's hard to say from just one chapter, but I think I'm liking this better than the original. :2thumbs:

• Site Administrator

It's hard to say from just one chapter, but I think I'm liking this better than the original. :2thumbs:

Which original? If you mean the very, very first Pern story, I think I agree with you. In fairness to Anne McCaffery, though, the world wasn't as developed then and it didn't have as rich a background.

Which original? If you mean the very, very first Pern story, I think I agree with you. In fairness to Anne McCaffery, though, the world wasn't as developed then and it didn't have as rich a background.

That's a good point. I haven't read McCaffery's stories in, good greif, since I was in high school, I think, so it has been a long time and I don't remember a lot. Hmmm, time to go to the library and find some before this story begins posting!

• Site Administrator

That's a good point. I haven't read McCaffery's stories in, good greif, since I was in high school, I think, so it has been a long time and I don't remember a lot. Hmmm, time to go to the library and find some before this story begins posting!

I have, I think, all of the novels, plus one short story (in the collection 'Get of the Unicorn'). That is unless there has been a recent one. I believe her son has written or co-written one, too, but I don't think I have that one.

I unfortunately didn't finish the chapter! :,(

I had it up and I fell asleep reading it last night about half way through the chapter. I just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer and finish it.

Well, I brought the browser window up this evening and was just getting comftorable with a beverage (bottle of water) and getting comftorable in the recliner (I had the laptop where of all places, on my lap) when I noticed the mouse went dead and didn't work. I'm like what the hell... did I knock the usb cord out?

Well I didn't. Come to find out the wireless PCMCIA card decided to die on me just then. Then I was like damn, I don't have a spare card and I hate to have a cat 5 cable tethered to the laptop, because I can be a bit of a clutz and trip over wires, and I have enough trouble dealing with the power cord. (That's another story in itself.)

You would think that no problem, just pop the sucker out and off you go. Well... if you wern't me, that would probably work. But this is me speaking. It locked the laptop up tighter than a 60 year old virgin on her wedding night. No matter what I did it wouldn't wake up. I could even see that the browser window was opening up because it was halfway there when it froze.

After a few rounds of some cuss words that would make a sailor proud, I had to unplug the power cord and pop out the battery because the power button wouldn't shut it down. It came back up with the dreaded wireless card still in but dead and nothing I did would wake the sucker back up. I got out the horable cat 5 cable (I smartened up this time and got a flourescent yellow color cord so it would at least give me a fighting chance to see it before I tripped over it) and brought Dan's blog up hoping to read the rest of the chapter and any other words of wisdom me might impart with us as well.

Guess what I found? Yep... It's not there anymore. Knowing my luck I went there probably about 10 minutes or so after he deleted it. I know it couldn't have been any longer than that. You ask why I know that, well that is easy... my luck ALWAYS works that way.

So I'm going to have to be consoled that there is at least another chapter of DOH up there tonight. I thought there would be two this week, because I thought I read that Dan was going to post two a week on Fridays until it's finished, but then my luck this week has been pretty bad so what can I expect.

Works been busy, the owner of the hotel where I lease my restaruant in was in and said that they were dropped from the franchise they had and was joining a much smaller (read this much cheaper) franchise. We had an ice storm in the beginning of the week and we are now getting a snow storm that is suposed to dump up to 6 inches. That's not too bad in itself, but once the snow stops we have a wind advisory for winds up to 45 miles an hour and all that nice snow will turn into a nice blizzard. Living in upstate NY can be real fun!

Anyone want to trade their luck with me for a little while? I could use a little vacation. Oh well, just thought I would I would give you a little glimpse into my little world I call life. BTW, I'm also looking for a boyfriend as well. You really DON'T want to know how that is going. Isn't there any nice, sane, normal guys out there anymore?

Jojoe

p.s. - What I did read was really interesting and I was really getting into it. Can't wait for more!

Guess what I found? Yep... It's not there anymore. Knowing my luck I went there probably about 10 minutes or so after he deleted it. I know it couldn't have been any longer than that. You ask why I know that, well that is easy... my luck ALWAYS works that way.

Works been busy, the owner of the hotel where I lease my restaruant in was in and said that they were dropped from the franchise they had and was joining a much smaller (read this much cheaper) franchise. We had an ice storm in the beginning of the week and we are now getting a snow storm that is suposed to dump up to 6 inches. That's not too bad in itself, but once the snow stops we have a wind advisory for winds up to 45 miles an hour and all that nice snow will turn into a nice blizzard. Living in upstate NY can be real fun!

Sorry Jojoe, but it looks like he took it down about midnight our time.

As for the snow and blizzard conditions - well, there is a reason I live in Florida :great: so no tradesies with YOU!

I know how much DK likes this story so I can't imagine it will be too much longer before that magic button apears in his story links and you can finish that first chapter! :2thumbs:

As I've said elsewhere, I've never read the Pern stories and I had no problem following along with the storyline. As always, DK's story-telling is just simply awesome! :worship: (Sorry Trebs, but I just had to say it!)

I printed it out. Was that considered cheating? :devil:

I've personally never read any of the Pern books, however, one of my writing buddies is a HUGE fan, so I have some semblance of knowledge of the world second hand. Thankfully, being a non-Pern person, I still found the story very engaging! I'm looking forward to you posting this Dan! :great:

db

• Site Administrator

As I've said elsewhere, I've never read the Pern stories and I had no problem following along with the storyline. As always, DK's story-telling is just simply awesome! :worship: (Sorry Trebs, but I just had to say it!)

Ooo...ooo... Does this mean I can apply for a job as a beta-reader? :2hands:

No you can't Graeme. Trebs is a big Pern fan as well, and not only beta-read it, but helped me make sure I got the Pern material correct. Sorry :)

Oh, and I know that I've said it before, but I'll say this again...Rider's Pride is complete. That's completely written, and completely edited. It was written months ago...

• Site Administrator

No you can't Graeme. Trebs is a big Pern fan as well, and not only beta-read it, but helped me make sure I got the Pern material correct. Sorry :)

Damn! Oh, well, that means I'll be able to read it just to enjoy, so all is not lost....

Oh, and I know that I've said it before, but I'll say this again...Rider's Pride is complete. That's completely written, and completely edited. It was written months ago...

:great:
  • Site Administrator

Why do I always seem to get these notices at in-opportune times...? At least I know what I'll be doing when it's lunchtime. For now, it's back to work....

Why do I always seem to get these notices at in-opportune times...? At least I know what I'll be doing when it's lunchtime. For now, it's back to work....

It's because you live in Australia and I do not. If, however, I were to live in Australia, you'd get them at better times.

Hey Graeme

I guess that means that if Dan's Australian fans want better timing then you guy's down under should get off your island continent and push it closer. :funny:

Eric :devil:

• Site Administrator

Hey Graeme

I guess that means that if Dan's Australian fans want better timing then you guy's down under should get off your island continent and push it closer. :funny:

Eric :devil:

Alternatively, I could suggest Dan and Treb move to Australia.... :P
  • Site Administrator

Another excellent chapter. I am just loving how true-to-form the story is feeling. I'm not generally a fan of fan-fiction, but this one feels like it's just part of the Pern collection....

:great:

OK, I compleatly missed the reference to two chapters above in the thread. Ooops!!!!

Just got back from reading. Superb!

I very much liked the coloqialisims and contractions, they add a very real feel without being overdone and confusing.

The revlation of some of the backstory is subtly done, and the discovery of the Grandfather was very unexpected!

I'm betting he is picked by a Green. :2thumbs:

And that voice in his head... That dragon appears to have taken a shine to him!