[dkstories] The Rider's Pride

Hi, all.

I just read Rider's Pride.

I really like the way Dan can weave a yarn ... it is incredible. And I am glad that he did a fanfic of Pern. I have always liked these books.

I would like to thank those that posted about all the Pern books and short stories out there ... I now have a couple more to read.

I would like to mention that when I first read the second book, Dragon's Flight, while I didn't pick up on the point that caught Dan's eye, I did pick up the point near the end of the book where F'lar repramanded the Blue and Green rider who where weyrmates. They were out and about way to close to the green rising and it was making her rider very prodgy.

The end of the story was sad. I also think it was the most appropiate ending for the story. (It could have been the Weyrleader dying instead, but this was the better ending). The other Pern books usually glossed over the loss thread brought to the Wyers.

I am, Dan, extreamly interested in the epilogue ... however, I do hope you will right another fanfic of Pern. I was very saddend when you pulled your HP fanfics. They were wonderful, thought out stories, just like this one, and well worth the read. (I do understand why you did it. I wish I had downloaded the stories so I could re-read them, but I didn't.) I am glad that Anne McCaffery allows fanfics of her stories, and hope Rowlins will some day do the same.

I wonder if anyone could give links to other fanfics of Pern that are worth reading?

Again, thanks for the wonderful story, Dan

Boy on a String

ps, the link to the guidelines that Anne McCaffery has about fanfics is a dead link.

pps. Well, maybe not ... I just clicked on it and it opened the window. I have tried for the last two days and got a site doesn't exist.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok I know that I am late hopping on the bandwagon but I just discovered this story and I love it! I always wondered about green riders and I don't think that I ever read all of the Pern books but I don't remember Anne Mccaffrey ever clarifying the point. I wish I could see more of this side of the dragonriders world. If I ask nicely do you think Dan would write another one? :D

Edited by morgaine
  • 8 months later...

I re-read this one not too long ago - it is still one of my favorites, especially because of how my wonderful partner incorporated our dogs Melody (Melodeth who is scared of her own shadow at times) and Zoe (Zoeth who always wants to be fed) into the story.

I reminded Dan that when he originally wrote Rider's Pride, he had a FANTASTIC epilogue, set at the end of the Pass. When he released the story, he held back on the epilogue in case he decided to write other stories that would occur DURING the pass. And while he still may, I think the epilogue is something that should see the light of day and have gotten to finally agree. He's going to go over it, polish it once then send it to Myr - so not sure when, but the missing epilogue will be posted relatively soon(ish). For fans of the story, you may want to re-read the last few chapters to just remember the characters and how things ended. For those of you who have not read the story, I can highly recommend it, especially if you love Anne McCafferty's Pern stories.

• Site Administrator

Thanks, Trebs! That's wonderful news :)The Rider's Pride is definitely one of my favourite stories. I look forward to reading the epilogue when it's available.

Trebs--Thanks for encouraging Dan to post the epilogue. It was a good ending to a wonderful story. Dan, you did a great job holding true to the style of Anne McCaffrey. I have enjoyed her books over the many years and I enjoyed your story as well. I hope you write a follow on.

• Site Administrator

Trebs--Thanks for encouraging Dan to post the epilogue. It was a good ending to a wonderful story. Dan, you did a great job holding true to the style of Anne McCaffrey. I have enjoyed her books over the many years and I enjoyed your story as well. I hope you write a follow on.

Beautiful, simply beautiful. Thank you, Dan! :worship:
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I really bawled with this story. I truly enjoyed it, I have all the Pern novels and if this were printed I would add it to my collection in a heartbeat. Thanks for the great story and I hope to read more to come.

• 2 months later...

I actually heard about Dragonriders of Pern from a Tamora Pierce website. Two days later while looking through the forum (after reading Goon) I learned that Dan had written a story about Pern. It's funny how that happens. Anyway, I'm hooked now. I'm listing to Dragonquest and plan to get the rest of the books. But I'm really interested in a continuation of Dan's fanfiction. If there's anything I love it's a serial.

So, Dan? Any other Pern stories in the future?

• 1 month later...

All that I can say is that I have been reading the Pern novels as they have come out from the White Dragon onwards (yes, I am that old, but I started reading young) and I cried at the end of Moreta and the ending of All the Weyrs of Pern got me too but I think that the most touching thing, the purest dedication to duty that I have ever read about dragons and their riders was this line:

"I miss him. Liliath said sadly. Can we go find him? I cannot hear him."

Still brings tears to my eyes with the poignancy of the hurt when the dragon remembers something that profound. Who am I kidding, I'm still a sobbing wreck. Me, the jaded old queen! ;)

I have recently found dkstories's stuff and all that I can say is "WOW". Truly well written, I hope I can look forward to MUCH MORE. :2thumbs::worship:

All that I can say is that I have been reading the Pern novels as they have come out from the White Dragon onwards (yes, I am that old, but I started reading young) and I cried at the end of Moreta and the ending of All the Weyrs of Pern got me too but I think that the most touching thing, the purest dedication to duty that I have ever read about dragons and their riders was this line:

"I miss him. Liliath said sadly. Can we go find him? I cannot hear him."

Still brings tears to my eyes with the poignancy of the hurt when the dragon remembers something that profound. Who am I kidding, I'm still a sobbing wreck. Me, the jaded old queen! Posted Image

I have recently found dkstories's stuff and all that I can say is "WOW". Truly well written, I hope I can look forward to MUCH MORE. Posted ImagePosted Image

Allerron, I have been a Pern fan since way back...High School to be exact...I'd start on a hardcover book, and have most of it finished by the end of the day and the other kids would look while I read 'cause I'd turn a page about every 20 seconds...they just couldn't beleive it. I also remember that line....I actually had to put the book down for a little while.

Even though Dan held off on posting the epilogue due to thinking he might write other stories of that Pass, it was that line and others in the epilogue that made me try to convince him to go ahead and post it. I am so glad he did.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Dan for going ahead with posting the Epilogue to The Rider's Pride. It was wonderfully poignant end that reflected the loss that results from fighting any kind of war. Along with you, I think many of us shed a few tears. I have to agree with several of the other posters that the line "I miss him. Liliath said sadly. Can we go find him? I cannot hear him." grabbed your heart and said everything about loss.

I thought The Rider's Pride was fantastic additon to McCaffrey's world of Pern, a series I've read numerous times. I think you captured the essence of that world while giving us a new look through your engaging characters and storyline. I'm hoping that you'll one day revisit Pern and give us another tale that will captivate us once again.

Rockyroads

• 1 year later...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Anne McCaffrey dead" is the headline no fantasy loving geek wants to write [OR read or hear] . Sadly, at the age of 85 Anne McCaffrey, creator of the Dragonriders of Pern, has died. " on http://www.geeknative.com

Anne died Monday at her home in Ireland shortly after suffering a stroke. She was 85.

Anne... Your work/art will always have a special place in my heart and on my bookshelf...

You WILL BE MISSED!!!

R.I.P.

Anne

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I just finished this story again. No matter how many times I read it and know how it ends, the epilogue gets me every time. It's a testament to the quality of Dan's writing that it evokes so much emotion.  As is sit here still with burning red eyes from crying, my cat is looking at me strangely! 

:-P

• Like 2