[dkstories] The Rider's Pride

uuuuggggghhhhh...it's so frustrating

I just get to that point where I am sooooooo into the story that I wouldn't stop reading if I was on fire...and then the chapter ends :lmao: . It's even worst than when I was reading from Anne McCaffrey's original books 0:) .

All I gotta say is .....torture me more....Torture ME MORE!!! :lmao:

I very much enjoyed this chapter. Great background on the learning to fly situation, and so many other things.

The chapter didin't seem to have momentous events, but it is my favorite thus far.

I notice a lot of talk about dragons rising (to mate). I wonder whom Lileth will pick?

I seem to recall that Dragons have been known to keep their riders in mind when choosing who to rise with.

B'rell's dragon, perhaps? :devil:

• Site Administrator

I notice a lot of talk about dragons rising (to mate). I wonder whom Lileth will pick?

I seem to recall that Dragons have been known to keep their riders in mind when choosing who to rise with.

B'rell's dragon, perhaps? :devil:

B'rell's the obvious choice, but not guaranteed. The dragon chooses for herself to a degree. Dragonflight showed that the dragon's preference can be influenced by the rider, but I still remember Ramoth's smug comment at one point regarding Mnemoneth's chances in a future mating flight: "Only if he can catch me."

It is mainly Browns and Blues that try to mate with Green. It is also a sign of virility for a male dragon to mate with multiple females (I remember the comment in one of the novels about Ramoth getting jealous). Aliarth and D'kov are another possibility -- Aliarth has spoken to J'shon several times now. There is, after all, no restriction that only dragons from the same clutch can mate -- if anything I would expect that to be the exception, not the rule.

Of course, Dan still had plenty of time to introduce other Brown and Blue riders into the story, so there are other options. It is even possible for it to be a stranger to J'shon, such as an older rider he's not had much to do with. That's a realistic possibility that has a lot of story-plot consequences -- how will J'shon react once he comes out of the emotional high initiated by his dragon?

Having never read any Pern storied before, I had no clue what to expect where mating was concerned. That's why I think using J'shon who is Hold-Bred to tell the story through is such a stroke of genius on DK's part. He can lay it all out so J'shon learns while the reader learns too!

One thing I am really enjoying is the speculation about what will happen next since, for once, I've gotten to read it all before it gets posted. Reading Graeme's post made me bounce in my seat like I had ants in my pants. This story is just so awesome!

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

DK, your writing is-is-is-

I don't have the words to describe how good I think it is.

Sorry Trebs, I know you've got to live with him and all, but it just had to be said!

• 3 weeks later...

I did!!!

It was excellent!!!

More More More

However.. other people would have had a better chance at seeing it if it had a little more time at the top of the boards before it was "replaced"....

• Site Administrator

I'm a little worried...did anyone see a chapter of Rider's Pride was posted as well as Let's Do It?

I missed it, but I wasn't able to access GA for most of yesterday, and now I'm too jetlagged to properly appreciate it. I'll check it out as soon as I can :)
  • Site Administrator

Two great chapters! And naturally we're left hanging with what's going to happen next. I really appreciated the chat with the Weyrleaders -- it was very interesting.

Graeme :D

PS: It's not normal for the birthday boy to give out gifts, but chapter 7 was very pleasant surprise. Thanks!

Thank you DK!!

Ch 7 was great, and it explains much that I was wondering about.

I'm still curious about the whole "Dragons rising" thing though, regarding what is in the previous Pern books.

Is it just tradition that the riders sleep with the rider of the dragon their dragon rises with? I seem to remember, and it seeon to indicate in this and previous chapters, that there is a strong impulse there...

I'm interegued by the situation with Lileth and B'rell's Dragon. They seem to be getting along awfully well, yet Lileth said "he's not for me".

Hmmmm, maybe Lilith just doesn't want to make J'shon nervous?

Fascinating story Dan, and Happy Birthday!!!

• Site Administrator

Thank you DK!!

Ch 7 was great, and it explains much that I was wondering about.

I'm still curious about the whole "Dragons rising" thing though, regarding what is in the previous Pern books.

Is it just tradition that the riders sleep with the rider of the dragon their dragon rises with? I seem to remember, and it seeon to indicate in this and previous chapters, that there is a strong impulse there...

My understand from the earlier chapter is that other things CAN be arranged. What happens is that the sexual feelings of the dragons go back through the links to their riders, and that the riders' mating is a consequence of the dragons mating. It CAN be that who they mate with is not each other, but that is the natural tendency. What would be extremely difficult to do would be to resist mating in the first place -- the only question then becomes with whom.

I'm interegued by the situation with Lileth and B'rell's Dragon. They seem to be getting along awfully well, yet Lileth said "he's not for me".

I read that comment as applying to the Xath, the blue dragon that fly N'sor's dragon -- not Ojeth, B'rrel's brown dragon.

• 2 weeks later...

My understand from the earlier chapter is that other things CAN be arranged. What happens is that the sexual feelings of the dragons go back through the links to their riders, and that the riders' mating is a consequence of the dragons mating. It CAN be that who they mate with is not each other, but that is the natural tendency. What would be extremely difficult to do would be to resist mating in the first place -- the only question then becomes with whom.

I read that comment as applying to the Xath, the blue dragon that fly N'sor's dragon -- not Ojeth, B'rrel's brown dragon.

Ahhh, thanks!

Hmmm, I am finding that gift of being able to tell when a Dragon will rise might be very interesting here. Either he will be able to tell when Lilleth will rise (and be nervous for days) or he won't, and will have one heck of a surprise. LoL!

sending in the calvery

:2hands: :ranger: :pickaxe:

trying to pull this thread back up so it gets some notice...

waiting patiently (not) for more

• Site Administrator

A noble and honourable cause.... :great:

What you REALLY need to do is to find a dragon friend who can time-it so they can come back and tell us the rest of the story after it's all posted.

In the meantime, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue....

I click

I hope

I pray

I sigh

I wait

to click another day.

Just sitting over here twiddling my thumbs and taking up Graeme's chant... patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a.... click.

A noble and honourable cause.... :great:

When I saw this, I thought 'Dragons are suppose to burn thread, not pull it back up!'

I can assure you that DK has not forgotten this story. His life has to be turned upside down with the recent passing of his nag-ma and favored aunt. Yes, patience is a virtue. Does it help when I say that the rest of the story is worth the wait? :nuke: *duck -n- cover*

• Site Administrator

When I saw this, I thought 'Dragons are suppose to burn thread, not pull it back up!'

They are only supposed to burn thread that comes from the Red Star. Threads created elsewhere should not be touched (otherwise there would be a lot of naked people on Pern :P )

I can assure you that DK has not forgotten this story. His life has to be turned upside down with the recent passing of his nag-ma and favored aunt. Yes, patience is a virtue. Does it help when I say that the rest of the story is worth the wait? :nuke: *duck -n- cover*

I know and understand. It is why I will wait patiently -- what is going on in Dan's life at the moment is a lot more important than his stories.

I don't mind if dragons burn threads, but I do hope they don't burn thread posters too. :fire:

They are only supposed to burn thread that comes from the Red Star. Threads created elsewhere should not be touched (otherwise there would be a lot of naked people on Pern :P )

I know and understand. It is why I will wait patiently -- what is going on in Dan's life at the moment is a lot more important than his stories.

Totally agreed; life gets in the way at the best of times, and Dan & Trebs have had traumatic event after traumatic event lately.

I wish them both the best.

CJ

YAY!!!

does the happy naked pagan dance around the room!!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

that chapter was awesome!

The next one (or three) has GOT to ROCK!

• Site Administrator

We now have a timetable -- four days time. My guess is that the events leading up to that time will mean it will occur at the end of chapter 12. Chapter 13 will start with the aftermath, and Chapter 15 will be first threadfall. Purely a guess and I suspect I'm wildly wrong. :D

A good chapter. The initial part about separation of Weyr and Hold was something I hadn't considered, but Dan's picked it well. The Weyrs are not allowed to interfere in Hold activities without permission, though there are certainly examples in the other books where that principle is stretched at times. ;)

I was hesitant at first to read Rider's Pride because I knew that it was fan fiction based on a series of books that I have never read before nor ever heard of.

But I guess boredom got the better of me and I read it. I'm glad I did.

It's a very entertaining read, and after reading the eight chapters that DK has posted, I'm going to go read the books that Rider's Pride is based on.

That is, if I can find them. Any recommendations on which one to read first?

Well I"m sure everyone has thier favorites, but I'm going to stick to solid advice...

read them in order

dragonflight

dragonquest

the white dragon

dragonsong

dragonsinger

dragondrums

(not so sure about the order of these:)

masterharper

renegades

all the weyrs

dolphins