[dkstories] The Rider's Pride

• Site Administrator

dragonflight

dragonquest

the white dragon

dragonsong

dragonsinger

dragondrums

Definitely the six to start with, but I would read The White Dragon last of the six, not third. That's because it refers to events and people in the last three mentioned.

Dragonflight and Dragonsong are simplier reads than the others, so don't judge the whole series on those two. I'm not sure when they written (as distinct from when they were published), but they show a less mature development of both the writing style and the world.

Good luck and enjoy :D

Well I"m sure everyone has thier favorites, but I'm going to stick to solid advice...

read them in order

Yep it's the best way. Anne McCaffrey's website can give you the chronological order as well as a world of other books outside the Pern verse that would make you drool. Brainships and Talents especially

• Site Administrator

Welcome, Julie! Brisbane's a great place -- I've been there many times for work.

The original published order for the first six, (from memory), was:

Dragonflight

Dragonquest

Dragonsong

Dragonsinger

Dragondrums

The White Dragon

Which is also the order that I would recommend. Definitely The White Dragon was late in the sequence. After those ones, I don't think the order of the rest is as important. There are a handful where the order would matter, but most can be read standalone from that point.

We now have a timetable -- four days time. My guess is that the events leading up to that time will mean it will occur at the end of chapter 12. Chapter 13 will start with the aftermath, and Chapter 15 will be first threadfall. Purely a guess and I suspect I'm wildly wrong. :D

A good chapter. The initial part about separation of Weyr and Hold was something I hadn't considered, but Dan's picked it well. The Weyrs are not allowed to interfere in Hold activities without permission, though there are certainly examples in the other books where that principle is stretched at times. ;)

One thing that DK has already covered in the text is that J'shon will get cranky. I think we are already seeing that! LoL

Poor B'rell; J'Shon is not going to be much fun to live with for a while...

:2thumbs: Here is the Chronological order of Pern books as bout two years or so... :great:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pern

Several of the Pern books include previously published stories or are anthologies of short stories, as noted below.

• Dragonsdawn
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall
    • "The Survey: P.E.R.N.c"
    • "The Dolphin's Bell"
    • "The Ford of Red Hanrahan"
    • "The Second Weyr"
    • "Rescue Run"
  • Dragonseye (UK: Red Star Rising)
  • "Ever the Twain"
  • Dragon's Kin
  • Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
  • Nerilka's Story
  • "Beyond Between"
  • The Masterharper of Pern
  • Dragonflight
    • "Weyr Search"
    • "Dragonrider"
  • "Runner of Pern"
  • Dragonquest
  • Dragonsong
  • Dragonsinger
  • Dragondrums
  • "The Impression" (JLN)
  • "The Smallest Dragonboy"
  • The White Dragon
    • A Time When
  • "The Girl Who Heard Dragons"
  • Renegades of Pern
  • All the Weyrs of Pern
  • The Dolphins of Pern
  • The Skies of Pern
The Anthology A Gift of Dragons is comprised of "Ever the Twain", "Runner of Pern", "The Smallest Dragonboy", and "The Girl Who Heard Dragons". As these stories are chronologically diverse they are listed individually above and A Gift of Dragons is not found on the list.

Omnibus editions:

The Dragonriders of Pern (Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon)

The Harper Hall of Pern (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums)

On Dragonwings (Dragonsdawn, Dragonseye, Moreta)

Companion books and supplemental materials not authored by Anne McCaffrey:

Dragonharper (JLN)

Dragonfire (JLN)

The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern (JLN)

The Atlas of Pern (KWF)

The People of Pern (RW)

:2thumbs: Here is the Chronological order of Pern books as bout two years or so... :great:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pern

Several of the Pern books include previously published stories or are anthologies of short stories, as noted below.

• Dragonsdawn
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall
    • "The Survey: P.E.R.N.c"
    • "The Dolphin's Bell"
    • "The Ford of Red Hanrahan"
    • "The Second Weyr"
    • "Rescue Run"
  • Dragonseye (UK: Red Star Rising)
  • "Ever the Twain"
  • Dragon's Kin

Ditto the thanks ^^ :)

I checked the local bookstore yesterday. They have some of the listed books, but not the first one. And I'm hesitant to start reading those without at least reading the first one first.

Maybe the library will have something.

• Site Administrator

Getting back to the story, I'm wondering if J'shon is going to get into trouble. He's not supposed to take his dragon from the weyr if she's close to rising, and he knows she is. It could be argued that he's got a great sense of when that will be, and so it's safe BUT there are circumstances where a dragon can rise early (eg. when another dragon rises around the same time -- as in Dragonquest). Personally, I think he's going to be in big trouble with his wingleader....

Getting back to the story, I'm wondering if J'shon is going to get into trouble. He's not supposed to take his dragon from the weyr if she's close to rising, and he knows she is. It could be argued that he's got a great sense of when that will be, and so it's safe BUT there are circumstances where a dragon can rise early (eg. when another dragon rises around the same time -- as in Dragonquest). Personally, I think he's going to be in big trouble with his wingleader....

Thanks for the welcome Graeme :)

You've got a good point about rising early, it's definitely dangerous for J'shon to leave right now. Especially when we all know he's not thinking too clearly.

On another note to those with way little time to read. Think about an audio book you can listen while driving to work or my personal favourite when i take my daily walk. If anyone wants a copy of the Audio Books, i have around the first 15 or so of them plus Dragonsblood which is the one coauthored by both Todd and Anne McCaffrey. I don't have Dragonsdawn which is chronologically the first, but that doesn't affect the storyline at all considering it's about the initial landing on Pern. Send me an email if you'd like a copy. :)

Edited by Julieqt2
  • 2 weeks later...

You'll be happy to see that dealt with in Chapter 9, which gets posted soon...

• Site Administrator

You'll be happy to see that dealt with in Chapter 9, which gets posted soon...

Thank you, I did notice that. I was pleased (but not surprised) that J'Shon told his WingLeader when he got the chance. I thought allowing Liliath out only two days before she's due to rise was risky, but the WeyrLeader had good reasons to take that chance. He obviously trusts J'Shon's judgement as to when she'll rise.

As it is, I still think I'm on target with my prediction that she rises in chapter 12.... but I suspect I'm wrong :P

Thanks, Dan. Another great chapter. :2thumbs:

Thank you, I did notice that. I was pleased (but not surprised) that J'Shon told his WingLeader when he got the chance. I thought allowing Liliath out only two days before she's due to rise was risky, but the WeyrLeader had good reasons to take that chance. He obviously trusts J'Shon's judgement as to when she'll rise.

As it is, I still think I'm on target with my prediction that she rises in chapter 12.... but I suspect I'm wrong :P

Thanks, Dan. Another great chapter. :2thumbs:

Agreed, another great chapter, and it sounds like Thread is on the way.

I agree, I was glad J'shon told his wingleader too.

So, Ojeth is upset with J'shon. Also, they are away from their Wyer. I'm wondering: Will Lilleth Rise while they are at a different Wyer?

Here's a spoiler....naw, never mind, not going to give one...

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Site Administrator

So, Ojeth is upset with J'shon. Also, they are away from their Wyer. I'm wondering: Will Lilleth Rise while they are at a different Wyer?

Given the ability for the dragons to go between, I don't see that as a problem. When Liliath rises, interested male dragons can go between to get there. After all, there's a gap of time between when she bloods her kill to when she takes off for the mating flight.

What I'm uncertain about is if the males also need to blood (drink blood) before they go on a mating flight. The one clear reference I remember that they do is from Dragonflight, where there is a comment by F'nor about Hath blooding his kill, and later a comment by F'lar. I don't recall it being mentioned any other time. If they do, then arriving while Liliath is blooding her kill may be too late.

We'll see. It won't be too long now...

• Site Administrator

I hadn't expected chapter 10 this quickly -- thanks, Dan! :2thumbs:

A great chapter -- the chat earlier in the chapter really helped put everything in focus. It was one of those things that I knew, but the way S'flin explain both the central purpose of the weyr and the role the greens play in the social interact of the weyr... well, I'll just say well done, Dan!

We'll see next chapter if J'shon's views remain the same in the morning, but that was a great mating flight scene. I was surprised when I learnt who the brown dragon was, considering the earlier comments concerning another brown, but I can see why it happened.

:worship:

After reading only the first 10 chapters, I'm tempted to try to write my own fan-fiction, but I don't think I could do anywhere near as good a job as this one. I'm looking forward eagerly, but patiently, for the rest of the story.

That was .....i don't have words to describe but brilliant will do.

I'm just trying to figure out if there were only two flying Liliath to make sure that J'shon's first mating flight wasn't too overwhelming

I hadn't expected chapter 10 this quickly -- thanks, Dan! :2thumbs:

A great chapter -- the chat earlier in the chapter really helped put everything in focus. It was one of those things that I knew, but the way S'flin explain both the central purpose of the weyr and the role the greens play in the social interact of the weyr... well, I'll just say well done, Dan!

We'll see next chapter if J'shon's views remain the same in the morning, but that was a great mating flight scene. I was surprised when I learnt who the brown dragon was, considering the earlier comments concerning another brown, but I can see why it happened.

:worship:

After reading only the first 10 chapters, I'm tempted to try to write my own fan-fiction, but I don't think I could do anywhere near as good a job as this one. I'm looking forward eagerly, but patiently, for the rest of the story.

I'll echo Graeme regarding the chat with S'flin: that did indeed help give clarity, especially for someone like me who is not that well aquanted wiht the Pern books.

I was extremely surprised; D'Kov is the last one I'd have expected. I began to suspect things wouldn't go as I'd expected (B'rell) when I saw the part about male dragons not maturing as quickly.

Great piece of misdirection DK, it worked very well.

Now, though, I wonder what happens? The part about the Southern Continent has me the most intrigued.

Edited by C James

Now, though, I wonder what happens? The part about the Southern Continent has me the most intrigued.

Actually, the Southern Continent thing is just background - at this point in Pern's history, it is shunned and almost forgotten (deliberately) due to it being the source of the plague that hit the pass before (Moreta's). It won't be until the middle of Dragonflight (750 years in the future) that it will be rediscovered.

Actually, the Southern Continent thing is just background - at this point in Pern's history, it is shunned and almost forgotten (deliberately) due to it being the source of the plague that hit the pass before (Moreta's). It won't be until the middle of Dragonflight (750 years in the future) that it will be rediscovered.

Ahhh, thanks, Trebs! I vaguely recall on of the books (I last read them back in High school, I think) where the original landing was rediscovered, and they end up using part of their old colony spacecraft to change the orbit of the red star and end the threat of thread.

I don't think I've read all the books, as I don't recall the plague at all.

I was extremely surprised; D'Kov is the last one I'd have expected. I began to suspect things wouldn't go as I'd expected (B'rell) when I saw the part about male dragons not maturing as quickly.

I thought D'Kov made perfect sense, for a first flight anyway. He's well known and respected enough for J'shon to be comfortable with, and been a rider long enough to be able to guide him through it as gently as possible.