I think it's because you need to start somewhere and give yourself enough time to make it. Most people feel like they can start fresh with the new year, it's easier this way. You stop feeling bad for the things you didn't manage and just start again. Nobody says you can't start with your resolutions as soon as they come into your mind, just do it.
My resolution for this year were: get a grip on your depressions without meds, done, go to the gym regularly, done, finish the dam re-writes, not done, start a new multi-chapter novel, not done, full-time teacher Yes?No?, not done.
This year? All the not done, I finally want to play 'Für Elise' right (me and her just can't get it on) and I want to do something unexpected just because I can.
I second Thorn and Sasha, but I can understand why he asked. We help each other out here on GA with editing, betaing and in general talking about ideas we have. So for a first try it might be okay, if he'd asked nicely.
Anyway now you know where to go Scotty.
Shouldn't you say 'I will be forever thankful and of course I will mention you in the credits, I might even throw myself at your feet'?
Just kidding, but honestly Scotty you might want to rephrase the above again if you want someone to draw/shop you a cover otherwise you might have to use the face or just the title.
In the past I called Christmas time hiking time. The family couldn't decide which traditions to celebrate, which resulted in each doing their own thing. They expected me to be there nevertheless so I walked around the city until I was finally at home around 11 pm Christmas Eve.
Now we celebrate together, this year it's my turn. As we are the odd mix religion-wise we just do what we/the host likes. Which usually is Christmas Tree, dinner with the family and presents on Christmas Eve. When I'm the host this means vegetarian dinner of course, *snicker* Well I would cook meat/fish/birdies if someone couldn't live without, but so far everyone was okay with it as long as I made feta cheese pizza, fresh bread and tiramisu among other things.
We play music, traditional and not so traditional christmas songs. Then there are the presents, mostly for the kids, after this the family members who want to go to Christmas Mass do that.
Next year I'll dig a den somewhere outside the city and have my private Christmas. I need this once in a while.
I think I tend to look somewhat disgusted when I get something I don't want/hate/abhor? Anyway, they always say 'Or if you don't want it I take it back and you can tell me what you want instead.' I always politely admit I'd rather want something else. If someone gives me a gift I like I don't care if they got it for free or payed for it.
Around two weeks before Christmas we meet at one of the tree farms and walk around with mugs of hot chocolate and choose a tree after a lively discussion of course. I am the host of the family get together this year, so I will have the tree up on the weekend before Christmas Eve. It's a large tree and it will take me a while until all the lights and decoration will be in place. The tree will be up until Epiphany Day. For the weeks before Christmas Eve we have the Advent wreath. It has a candle for each of the four Sundays before Christmas. Oh and then there's the Advent Calender, 24 doors to open until Christmas Day. I'll be never too old for that.
If you really make it I'll say 'chapeau'. I could never do that for all the above reasons. Sometimes it takes me days to fine tune one paragraph and then I delete the whole thing because I can't make it work like I wanted.
*keeping my fingers crossed*.