Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 809 Words
  • 1,708 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 12. Chapter 12

Lucinius took Felix and Aeneas and headed to the city. He needed to buy sandals for the men as well as better clothing. Before he left, Aumen reminded him to replace the clothes they had contributed to the men. He would stop and see his mother and Gaius.

On the trip, he let Aeneas ride one of the horses, Felix rode on the cart driving the mules. Actually, the mules just followed along, but Felix felt like he was in charge. Lucinius had made this trip enough times he knew where he could take shortcuts. Even though they still got in late at night. Rather than going to see his mother, he went to the home of Gaius, who was glad to see him. Gaius had his cook prepare a quick meal of oats, bread, and cheese for them. Lucinius introduced Aeneas and Felix to his grandfather. “After you all left, I realized there was no one to help with the Villa. We were on our way to buy more slaves when we met a slave trader on the road. I thought we bought twelve, but it seemed we had thirteen. Aeneas said he was told to come to us by Apollo. Tomorrow we’re going to the Temple to pray to Apollo.”

“How long are you planning on staying?”

“I need to purchase sandals for my men and clothes. We gave them our old clothes, and they wrapped their feet in rags until I bought them sandals. So I need to buy clothes, sandals and some food.”

“You’ll have a busy day, better get some sleep.”

Lucinius knew where his room was but the other two. He wasn’t sure he wanted them to sleep in the slave barracks, but Aeneas solved that problem, “Sir, we can sleep in the barracks we saw when we were arriving.”

Lucinius looked at Aeneas to judge if he was sincere or not. Aeneas just nodded his head yes and smiled. Gaius knew that Lucinius didn’t like slaves. He knew what he did with Aumen. He left the decision to Lucinius, who agreed with Aeneas.

Early the next morning, the boys were ready to go shopping, but first, they had to go to the Temple. On the way, Lucinius bought a pig to sacrifice to Apollo. With new clothes and sandals for Aeneas and Felix, the boys have dressed appropriately for Temple. When they entered, the old priest who was there when Lucinius was dedicated to Apollo greeted Lucinius as his grandson. Aeneas and Felix were surprised but kept quiet. After the prayers were said and Lucinius had said goodbye to the priest, they left.

Now they had fun, they bought sandals for the men, tunics, sleeveless and with sleeves. Then they headed to the Baths, leaving in new clothes and sandals. The boys had smiles on their faces. Many people commented on Aenais because of his light hair and blue eyes. Hungry, they went to see Celia. She was glad to see Lucinius. His father wasn’t home. He was at the Senate. Lucinius introduced the two boys to his mother. She offered them a light lunch of cheese and fruit. As it was getting late in the afternoon, Lucinius didn’t want to be there when his father returns. Saying goodbye to his mother, he promised to come and see her soon. On the way back to Gaius’s, they stopped and bought fruit, cheese, and salt. They also bought some kitchen utensils, wine bottles, and food that would keep until their gardens started to provide for them.

When Gaius saw what they bought, he told Lucinius he would regularly send them food until they were self-sufficient. Lucinius promised he would send him fruit from the trees he didn’t have. Early the next morning, they left, heading toward home. When they arrived at home, Aumen was glad to see them. The boys were happy when they saw the sandals and the clothes. Felix’s father asked about the tunics. They were not what a slave would wear. Lucinius just smiled, “Wear your old clothes when you are in the field, in the evening after you visited the Baths, wear the new clothes.”

The boys he bought didn’t understand this, and they were confused. They are slaves, and this isn’t the way a slave was treated. A nice room to sleep with a bed that only free Romans had, clothes a free Roman wore, and food that only free Romans ate. Aenais responded, “We are being treated as freedmen. We need to thank Apollo for being bought by Lucinius. We need to show Lucinius we appreciate this by working hard. He deserves our loyalty as he has shown his loyalty to us.” As he said this, he held up his tunic, that he wasn’t wearing, and pointed to his sandals. The men got the message.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, it seems everyone is on his side and helps where they can, prosperous is on the cards

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I falling for Lucinius. Totally interested in how Aenais is going to figure in Lucinius' life; especially since Apollo spoke to him.

NOOO... don't adopt Aenias... Adopt me 😍😁🤪 I'm totally house trained and already in love with the food. Might be a bit old, but I am still young at heart and in my own minds eye.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Aenais explained it perfectly.The boys and men now know how fortunate they are.Does the concept of adoption exist at this  time in history?If so Lucinius might consider adopting Aenais

Aenais is close to the age of Lucinius, adoption is out of the question more like a brother would make sense 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, it seems everyone is on his side and helps where they can, prosperous is on the cards

Yes, the gods have smiled on Lucinius 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Kev said:

I falling for Lucinius. Totally interested in how Aenais is going to figure in Lucinius' life; especially since Apollo spoke to him.

NOOO... don't adopt Aenias... Adopt me 😍😁🤪 I'm totally house trained and already in love with the food. Might be a bit old, but I am still young at heart and in my own minds eye.

I think you will have to get in line for adoption. We think life 300BC was terrible, Lucinius's life doesn't seem so bad.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Another keen insight into life back then, I am also sure it wasn't all peaches and cream!

Looking forward to the brothers meeting and the subsequent fallout as a result of their fathers actions.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
12 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Another keen insight into life back then, I am also sure it wasn't all peaches and cream!

Looking forward to the brothers meeting and the subsequent fallout as a result of their fathers actions.

There was a lot of hard work. Farming was hard, there were no machines to help, if you have ever made a garden at your home usijg a shovel and a rake, you know how hard these boys had to work to raise crops.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

The gods have smiled on Lucinus and his new workers 

Yes they have. I think Lucinius is proving hisnpoint, a freeman will work harder than a slave. These boys all share in the profits 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Don't you just want to give Lucinius a big hug, with a, 'Well done' accompanied by a pat on the back. His Men/Brothers are going to be so loyal and hard-working.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Buz said:

Don't you just want to give Lucinius a big hug, with a, 'Well done' accompanied by a pat on the back. His Men/Brothers are going to be so loyal and hard-working.

They are. I think they would lay down there lives for him

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..