Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,387 Words
  • 2,319 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 17. Chapter 17

Seth and Lucinius continued working on the cold pit that Lucinius had started. While Lucinius dug out the pit, Seth got a few boys to help dig a trench about a meter below ground level to the grove. It took two weeks for the boys to have the distribution system finished. Now they needed to have the pit finished and then tie it into the well. The boys went to the fields outside the property line and brought rocks to line the pit. Duccius took the cart and went to Rome to buy cement. While he was there, he stopped and told his father about the hunt. He wouldn’t believe him. He told his mother and said they should visit, and then he went to see Gaius, gave him the letter Lucinius had written.

Returning to the Villa with the cement, he saw them waiting for him. The next morning, they were busy cementing the stone on the walls of the pit. They just laid the stone on the floor. Three days later, satisfied the walls were solid, the boys broke the wall between the well and the pit. As cold water flowed into the pit, the boys were pulled out. From the top, they watched as the pit filled up and the water started to flow out of the drain lines. Lucinius had his cold storage. The rest of the deer was brought from the stream and stored in the well. To make sure no one would fall in, they built a stone wall around the pit, as they did for the water well. Duccius was amazed at what they had done.

Duccius, to Lucinius’s delight, stayed for three weeks. “Brother, I need to go home. I think I’ll start making some changes.” Lucinius knew that Duccius would inherit the home and probably the Senate position when his father retired. He was okay with that. He had the Villa and his family of boys. He was happy.

At Duccius’s farewell dinner, one of the boys suggested that they take the cart with the fruit and produce to Rome. Aumen thought that was a great idea and said he would go with him, so he would have someone to ride back with. Duccius said he would accompany them and make sure they were okay in Rome. Lucinius gave them a package of vegetables for the priest at the Temple, reminding them to pay homage to Apollo.

The boys who were working the animal sheds said they are running out of space. The rabbits are breeding all the time. Lucinius asked for a male rabbit. He told them he was going to sacrifice it to Apollo. He had an altar built in front of Apollo’s statue. With Aeneas’s help, they offered the rabbit to Apollo.

“When we go to Rome, we’ll offer a pig to Apollo. I hope He will accept this.” As if to answer, or was it coincidence, the sun was directly over the statue.

Aeneas smiled, looking up, “I think He has accepted our offering.”

The next afternoon the boys came back. Two went, three came back. Dante was in the cart. He was dressed in rags and was beaten. “We saw him on the streets. I couldn’t leave him.”

Lucinius looked at the boy, “Clean him up, give him clothes and sandals. Tend to his wounds, I’ll have Felix fix him some food. Welcome home, Dante.”

That was all that was said. Lucinius knew that Dante would lay his life down for him if it ever came to that. He was an example for any of the others who would want to leave. That evening at dinner, they had rabbit. “I want to welcome our brother Dante back.”

That was all he said. Anais looked at him, then looked at the sky as a comet streaked overhead. As usual, the boys had given him the money they had from the sale of the vegetables. He gave each of them a denarii, Dante included. If there was any doubt about his acceptance back into the Villa, that answered his question.

The fruit was plentiful. Lucinius thought that the deep watering system helped. They had another cart loaded with fruit to go to market. Aumen stayed at the Villa while Adom and Curzio went with him. On the way to the city, Adom asked him why he took Dante back.

“Dante learned a bitter lesson. Without money, and a family, living in Rome is difficult. He learned his lesson, he asked for forgiveness, the gods demanded that if he was serious about asking for forgiveness, I had to give it to him. We all make mistakes. You will or have already, I’ll be here to forgive you if you ask for it.”

The boys smiled, “I let a rabbit escape. I found him in the cabbage patch. I put him back and didn’t tell you.”

Lucinius laughed, “You’re forgiven. Can you identify the rabbit?”

“Yes, he was one of the ones we had for supper last night.”

Now Lucinius really laughed. He had to stop for a minute. He thought, what a lesson, do bad and get eaten.

Arriving in Rome, they went to Gaius’s home first. They had some fruit for him. Gaius was thankful and told Lucinius he was planning on visiting in a week. Lucinius was happy and hoped his other grandfather would come as well. He had some fruit for his mother. Duccius met him, and his father wasn’t home. When they were alone, Duccius said their father doesn’t want to see him. This was nothing new. He gave some of the fruit to Duccius for his mother.

“You must come and see Mother. If she knows you were here and didn’t come to see her, she would be heartbroken.”

He knew Duccius was right, “I need to sell this fruit and stop at the Temple, tell Mother I’ll return before I leave for home.”

He had no problem selling the fruit. He sold it from the cart. People wanted the fresh fruit and knew that the stands sold old fruit. He took the money and bought a pig, which he sacrificed to Apollo. He had some fruit for the priest as well. Business finished, he headed back to see his mother. As he entered the home, his mother met him. She had a handful of cherries, from which she was eating. He gave her a hug, a kiss on the cheek, then asked her if they were good.

“Yes, my son, they are very good. Even your father is enjoying them. He won’t admit it to you. I think he’s going to plant the stones.”

“That’s a good idea. I hope the tree grows fast and you have a full tree of fruit.”

He sat and had some sweet cakes with his mother and some wine. He passed some of the sweet cakes to the boys.

“When are you coming to see me?”

“I’m not sure. You know your father.” “

Mother, don’t you think it’s time for Father to forget the past and start anew. I hold no grudge. Whatever he did ultimately has been to my advantage. You and Father would be welcomed any time.”

There were tears in her eyes as she hugged her son. “I will speak to your father.”

Saying goodbye, Lucinius wanted to get home. He had honey and salt on the wagon. Passing the gate, he saw the guard, who was a friend. He stopped and gave him some fruit and invited him to his Villa. The boys talked about the sweet cakes his mother made.

“Sir, do you think Felix can make those cakes your mother gave us?”

“I’m not sure, but if you eat too many, your teeth will fall out. They are very sweet.”

The boys laughed, and soon they were able to see the Villa. They arrived early in the morning, traveling all night. The mules and horse knew the way. The boys slept in the cart, Lucinius stayed awake. They were met by Aumen and a few of the boys.

“I’m going to take a nap, I’ll bring you up to date after the midday meal.” Aumen had the boys take the mules and Lucinius horse to the stable and make sure they had fresh water and feed.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

42 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Apollo is looking after them.  Dante learnt his lesson and found that Lucinus has a good heart and took him back, no questions asked.

Lucinius was right let him go. I wonder what his tale will be

  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Still curious what that odd little grape is that keeps getting referred to .... 🤔

Felix likes it for cooking. I wonder if it is a grape.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Chris L said:

The plot thickens! LOL!!! This may be a fig or some other yumminess that the region is known for. Today, we take the variety of the grocery for granted. Can we only imagine the delicacy of fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, etc were back 2000 to 2500 years ago???

Generally a grape vine will produce a sour grape under two conditions, one the grape is picked to soon and the other is that the vine hasn't been trimmed too allow the grape to increase it's sugar content. I would suspect that this vine isn't a grape but a berry vine that has a tart fruit. I didn't find any explanation in the scrolls about why this vine produced this sour grape.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I kept having a picture in my head that on one of Lucinius visits to his Mother that one time Appias would there very drunk and there would be a soap opera style confrontation.However The conversation Lucinius had with his Mother give me hope it won't come to that..

So Senate seats are inherited?What if the Heir is not qualified?You think they would change the rules after Appias got in.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I kept having a picture in my head that on one of Lucinius visits to his Mother that one time Appias would there very drunk and there would be a soap opera style confrontation.However The conversation Lucinius had with his Mother give me hope it won't come to that..

So Senate seats are inherited?What if the Heir is not qualified?You think they would change the rules after Appias got in.

The Senate is made of wealthy men. They are passed down unless the selected individual has no money.  Much like the US Senate. They may start out poor but always end up rich. The Rome Senate started out rich, they cut out the middle man

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Loved the following, well done Sir!!

“Dante learned a bitter lesson. Without money, and a family, living in Rome is difficult. He learned his lesson, he asked for forgiveness, the gods demanded that if he was serious about asking for forgiveness, I had to give it to him. We all make mistakes. You will or have already, I’ll be here to forgive you if you ask for it.”

The boys smiled, “I let a rabbit escape. I found him in the cabbage patch. I put him back and didn’t tell you.”

Lucinius laughed, “You’re forgiven. Can you identify the rabbit?”

“Yes, he was one of the ones we had for supper last night.”

Now Lucinius really laughed. He had to stop for a minute. He thought, what a lesson, do bad and get eaten.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Loved the following, well done Sir!!

“Dante learned a bitter lesson. Without money, and a family, living in Rome is difficult. He learned his lesson, he asked for forgiveness, the gods demanded that if he was serious about asking for forgiveness, I had to give it to him. We all make mistakes. You will or have already, I’ll be here to forgive you if you ask for it.”

The boys smiled, “I let a rabbit escape. I found him in the cabbage patch. I put him back and didn’t tell you.”

Lucinius laughed, “You’re forgiven. Can you identify the rabbit?”

“Yes, he was one of the ones we had for supper last night.”

Now Lucinius really laughed. He had to stop for a minute. He thought, what a lesson, do bad and get eaten.

Thank you. I think this is a clue into who Lucinius really is.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Its a pity Lucinius and Co. don't have their own shop in Rome. Somewhere where they directly sell, any produce from the Villa, to the Public. Then Dante and a few others would have a reason to stay in Rome if they want.

Also, just because I can see the last sentence in the above comment response, who is Lucinius really?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Buz said:

Its a pity Lucinius and Co. don't have their own shop in Rome. Somewhere where they directly sell, any produce from the Villa, to the Public. Then Dante and a few others would have a reason to stay in Rome if they want.

Also, just because I can see the last sentence in the above comment response, who is Lucinius really?

Lucinius does sell his fruit and vegetables out of his cart, and does very well. He isn't into sales, he is a farmer at heart who believes that a free man will work harder than a slave if that person is respected and share in the rewards of his hard work. Bulk items like wheat and oats, he sells at a price slightly lower then the venders. Why occupy a booth to sell at a bag here and a bag there. Barter for price, the baker buys it at Lucinius's price. Bulk sales

Lucinius doesn't like Rome, it's his father's realm

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..