Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,423 Words
  • 1,707 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 30. Chapter 30

I checked the oats, and it would be at least three weeks before they would be ready for harvest. We now had to prepare the land where we grew the wheat for oats. I still switch the land between oats and wheat. Next year the oats will be harvested first, followed by the wheat. As soon as the ground was ready, we sowed the oats. After the oat harvest, we will prepare the land where we grew the oats for wheat. I laughed to myself as I looked at where we grew our vegetables. We use to have vegetables to sell, and now we eat it all.

The cold pit, holds not only our wine but also our vegetables. We have enlarged that pit three times since we dug the first pit. At midday, we discussed what we should do with the property to the east and west. Aeneas suggested we expand the vineyard and groove to the east.

"It will take time for the trees and vines to grow. We have more than we can eat now with what we have. So we can wait for the trees and vines to produce."

I thought that was a good idea, "I think that is a good plan, what do the rest of you think?"

They agreed, "There are some trees we can move. They have sprouted from seed and are about four years old."

I smiled to myself. To these men, this was home, and they have fully realized they are freedmen. "What about the other side, should we expand animal sheds?"

"I think we should expand the chicken, pig, sheep, and goat sheds. These are the animals that bring us money or food."

"The sheep provided us with cheese which we sell."

"Also, the wool from the sheep we sell."

"Okay, let's do that. You're going to need wood and stone to do that. I suggest you get your team together and plan on a trip to the forest for the wood. On the next trip to the city, we can buy some cement for the stone."

The men have finally realized that they are part of the Villa. I was proud of them. That evening in my room, I prayed to Apollo, thanking him for the blessings he has bestowed upon us. At breakfast the next day, I noticed the men sitting with a boy. When we first began to have new boys. The boys sat by themselves, and now they are sitting with the men. If I didn't know better, it would seem that Nathan has talked to the men about adopting a son. I saw a lot of smiles that morning, which pleased me. I looked at Aumen, and he was smiling back at me. It was as if he was reading my mind.

We spent the next few weeks expanding on putting our ideas in effect. Three of the men took two of the older boys to the forest to gather logs for the animal sheds. Aeneas took several boys to begin the work of preparing the ground for the grove and grapevines. Another group went to clear the land for the expansion of the animal sheds. Then it was time to harvest the oats. It took almost a week for the harvest. Now we have to grind some of the oats for ourselves as well as Grandfather and Duccius. By the time we had done all of that, the boys and men were back from the forest with the trees to expand the sheds. That evening we sacrificed a rabbit to Apollo, thanking him for our oat harvest. I would offer prayers and an appropriate sacrifice at the Temple.

The next morning after breakfast, we loaded the carts for the trip to Rome. Again the men who missed the trip with the wheat came with me. Except for Nour, who drove the cart, he had a baby rabbit for a young man he knew we would see. As many times as we have left the Villa to go to Rome, even knowing I'd return, I missed it. For me, that was my home, and I was beginning to understand Grandfather. Leaving home and not knowing if you would be coming back can frighten you. Even knowing you can come back can be frightening. Something could happen that would prevent you from returning home. For me, the best site was looking up at the Villa when we returned from Rome.

The men started to wager if the Baker would meet us as he did with the wheat. One of the men who went with us, I think Cruz, told him about the Baker, knowing we were coming. I knew the Baker would meet us.

We weren't even near his shop when we could see him outside with a few boys. I started to laugh, and then the men were laughing as well. I watched as the Baker walked to meet us. "Right on time."

I laughed. The men were paying up their debts. As they did with the wheat delivery, the men went shopping. I never asked them what they bought. I just knew the cart going back was almost as packed as when we came. I watched as the Baker took a handful of oats, smelled it, and then ate it. He smiled, and I knew what went through his mind, money. He paid my price, gave me a sample of his wheat bread. I told him it was very good. He smiled. Felix's bread was better. He had herbs in his. Next stop, Grandfathers, then Duccius and Temple before turning towards home.

Arriving at Grandfather's, Deacon had a cart loaded at the gate. "Going somewhere?" I hugged Deacon as I asked that question.

"Yes, want to guess where?"

"It will be late tonight, and I need to stop at Duccius and Temple before I head home."

"That will be okay. He's excited to be going."

"Good, there have been some changes that'll pique his interest. Here take this to the cook."

"You should keep them. The household is also coming."

"I knew you'd be coming but the household as well?"

"Yes, it's just three more, the cook and two women who take care of the house."

"What about his vineyard and grove?"

"He doesn't have many trees, just one olive tree and one fig tree. I think he has arranged for Duccius to look after the vineyard."

He has arranged everything. It was hard to believe all of this had happened in the last few weeks. I was happy, he'll feel better, and that'll give me someone I loved very much to be near me. I'm going to see Duccius and then go to the Temple before I leave. I'll come back here for you and Grandfather."

"Your grandfather is at Duccius's home now. I'm to meet him there."

"Then I'll go to the Temple first and meet you at Duccius. Can you give this little rabbit to Junius? I don't want to take it into the Temple." Nour handed him the rabbit. Smiling, we left for the Temple.

I think the Baker isn't the only one who knows our schedule. I handed the priest the oat flour. Every time I'm here I miss the old priest, he was a very good friend. We said our prayers to Apollo, sacrificed our pig, thanking him for the excellent oat harvest. Asking him to watch over Grandfather, I was ready to leave. Arriving at Duccius, I saw not one cart but two.

"I think we are going to have a lot of company."

The men laughed, then there was Duccius with a smile on his face. I got my hug, and so did the men. Junius came out to meet us holding his baby rabbit. As we entered his house, it appeared there was a party going on. Grandfather, Deacon, and his cook, plus two other women, were sitting drinking wine with Aleta. I saw a big smile on Grandfather's face when he saw me. I hugged him, whispering in his ear, "It's about time."

Over a glass of wine, the men decided they would travel back to the Villa to see that the rooms were ready for our visitors. We would leave in the morning and try and get there in the evening. Hopefully, with an early start, there will still be some light. We moved some of Grandfather's things from his cart into my cart. This would give the ladies a little more room.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Luccinius is certainly ahead of his times, irrigation, cold wells for food, and now he's mastered crop rotation. He and the boys are able to harvest the wood they need for building and I wonder if they cut it themselves!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I haven't commented in a while, and I wanted to say how much I continue to enjoy this story! I marvel at each new thing Lucinius tries! His villa is amazing, and the mutual admiration between him and his "boys," now men, is wonderful! This enjoyable, well-written story is a bright spot in my day each time a new chapter is posted! Thanks. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter, I hope that grandfather's health will improve, I think that the villa will need to be enlarged again , the more the merrier

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I'm wondering if this trip Grandfather is taking to Lucinius villa might be a long stay or permanent specially after seeing all the changes.If Appias ever sees it he would be jealous

I got the impression it was a permanent move for Grandfather, at least Lucinius is thinking that way.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Luccinius is certainly ahead of his times, irrigation, cold wells for food, and now he's mastered crop rotation. He and the boys are able to harvest the wood they need for building and I wonder if they cut it themselves!

Lucinius was able to achieve these innovations because of his source of knowledge, the boys. The boys varied background have been an source of knowledge which allows Lucinius nd the boys to move the next level, i.e. cold wells, irrigation, etc.  They all seem natural, B built on A 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

I haven't commented in a while, and I wanted to say how much I continue to enjoy this story! I marvel at each new thing Lucinius tries! His villa is amazing, and the mutual admiration between him and his "boys," now men, is wonderful! This enjoyable, well-written story is a bright spot in my day each time a new chapter is posted! Thanks. 

You are welcome. I am always amazed at the creativity of a man when he is encouraged. Their is no question that Lucinius is encouraging the men to achieve the Villa's success

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I hope that grandfather's health will improve, I think that the villa will need to be enlarged again , the more the merrier

You my be right. I have one more scroll to decipher. So we shall see, after I finish this scroll.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I can see his Grandfather being revitalised by being at the Villa. Everyone there cares for him alot. Not surprised that Deacon decided to stay with him after gaining his freedom.

Junius will do well, what with the adults he has around him and the fact he is the only Child of the Family. Currently anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Buz said:

I can see his Grandfather being revitalised by being at the Villa. Everyone there cares for him alot. Not surprised that Deacon decided to stay with him after gaining his freedom.

Junius will do well, what with the adults he has around him and the fact he is the only Child of the Family. Currently anyway.

Yes, Gaius is among friends. Old people like to be around the young. Their enthusiasm, the young people, enverates old people.  True today as well as then. The boys/men on the Villa accepted Gaius as their grandfather as well. Gaius was treated better than Caesar by these boys. He was waited upon bette3r than any slave would or could. Gaius treated his slaves well but within the code of the City. My guess is that his barracks had comfortable beds and was clean.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..