Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,218 Words
  • 1,800 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 31. Chapter 31

We were on our way a few hours before sunrise. I was hoping we would get there right after the evening meal. It was a pleasant journey. Junius had his rabbit to keep him company. I asked Duccius what happened to the other rabbit. He said it escaped. I wonder about that. It probably escaped to someone’s cooking pot. I think we just passed the gates when I looked, and Junius was asleep cuddling his rabbit. I wondered if he squeezed the other rabbit to death. The boy was going to be like his father.

As I hoped, we arrived just as the sun was going down. Aumen had assigned rooms, and I was glad the men had gone on and alerted the Villa. Everyone came out dressed in their tunics. This was an important day. As I escorted our guests to the courtyard, Felix and a few of the boys had food and wine ready. As we did when my father was last here, the boys fixed plates and served our guest. Deacon knew this, but the other guests from Grandfather’s house and Duccius’s house didn’t. They were surprised and looked confused. Grandfather just smiled. When everyone had eaten, Junius wanted to see the animals, so Nour took him. Aumen showed Grandfather his room on the second floor. Duccius knew what room he had, and he was already planning on a hunting trip in the morning. I asked Deacon to show Grandfather’s cook and attendants the rooms across from his. I think everyone was tired. It wasn’t until the morning that Grandfather noticed the rooms behind the courtyard.

The next morning at breakfast, I paid all of my men and boys from the oat delivery to the baker. I noticed some of the boys had new sandals. This was a result of the men shopping. There were a few new tunics as well. There were a lot of smiles at breakfast this morning. Duccius made plans for his hunting party, the man who drove his cart was going along as well. I knew the man, and he was one of Father’s slave. Did Duccius grant him his freedom? I watched, he waited on Duccius, but Duccius smiled at him when he did. I would bet he gave him his freedom.

Duccius was off with his hunting crew. Felix had food and a flask of wine ready for them. Looking closely, he had two flasks of wine.

“Aleta, let me show you something.”

I showed her the meat well. “When Duccius comes home with a deer, ask him to butcher it here and store the meat in the meat pit. Then when you go home, he can take it with you.”

I needn’t say anymore. Knowing Aleta was a daughter of a Senator, she understood.

After breakfast, the men and boys changed into their work clothes, that is what they called them, and headed to the gardens, animal sheds, grove, and vineyard. They had work to do. After all, this is their home. I showed Grandfather the new construction, particularly the single rooms on the second floor. He liked the view from there.

“I think this is probably the best room in your Villa. You’re able to see everything from here. There’s a cooling breeze, with the window in the back and leaving the door open. I would like to have this room.”

“Then I’ll see that you have a room here.”

I walked him on the balcony toward vineyards, “From here, you can see everything. There isn’t the second floor on the Villa to block your view.”

I pointed to the room next to this room, and it had a name on the door. “This is Nathan’s room.”

One of the advantages of having boys from different cultures you learn new and different ways. Our beds were wood with several robes covering them. A few years ago, one of the boys wanted to buy the wool with the money he had from the wheat and oats’ sale. I asked him why he said he would show me. About a week later, he showed me a stuffed piece of linen. I felt it, and it was soft. He told me to lay my head on it, I did. It felt a lot better than the robes on my bed. From that moment on, I stopped selling wool. We washed the wool in very dilute wine, let it dry. Then I bought linen from the vendors, then from the traders as they approached the city. Now all of the beds had linen stuffed with wool, not only for the head but to lay on as well.

If that boy were a slave, this would never have happened. I remember the first-night Grandfather slept in his new room. He was happy, “I had a great sleep last night. I left the window and the door open. The breeze kept the room cool.”

I thought leaving the door open might be a problem. I knew there were wild animals in the forests north of us, and some could come this far south. With an open door, we could be inviting a problem.

“Dante, I have a job for you. I need you to cut a window in the doors on the second floor of the new addition. It doesn’t have to be large, just enough to let air through.”

“Why a window, all you need is a few holes.”

“You’re right. Can you do that.”

About two weeks later, I noticed all of the doors had three holes about ten centimeters. I went to an empty room, closed the door, open the window, and felt a nice breeze. Then I thought, maybe we could place holes in the window shutters so they needn’t be open the whole way, another job for Dante. I told Dante what I wanted done but only one room as a test. When he had done that, I checked, and it left in plenty of air.

At the evening meal, I mentioned what Dante had done. The men went and checked it out. They came back and asked Dante to do the same to their rooms. Some of the men on the lower floor wonder if it would work for them as well. So Dante did one, and over the next few days, they all were done. The rooms at the front became storage areas. All of the men and boys had moved into the rooms that overlooked the courtyard.

The next morning at breakfast, we heard a lot of yelling coming from the woods. The hunters were back. I saw a deer and something on a branch being carried by two men. As it got closer, one of the boys said it was a bear. Now I would hear a different story. They had two deer, one wild boar, and several geese. For the rest of the afternoon, the hunters and a few men and boys attended to skinning and preparing the meat. Duccius wanted to take some home, notably the bear, but Aleta talked him into cutting the meat and storing it in the meat pit, which he did. Nathan again asks for the pelts. Since you couldn’t eat it, they gave it to him.

I wondered what he did with them.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

It's good to see Grandfather happy 

Yes, he deserves to be happy 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

Yes, he deserves to be happy 

 

 

33 minutes ago, Miles White said:

Great story. I fell the boys and men are free and can enjoy their life living together as one big family. They get a voice as where a slave wouldn't. New mattress, that will help a lot. I think Granddad isn't really that old and in poor shape. I fell he is just lonely and missing his family, as Deacon said he smiled more when Lucinius came each time to visit. What a guy (Lucinius) brings his family to stay long periods of time. Family, either blood or chosen is one of the greatest things. Having someone around to talk with, work out problems with, a good and true family will be with you through the bad as well as the good. Liking all the ideas from the boys and men, and I can't wait to see what becomes of all the pelts. Maybe warmer bed covers? Keep up the great work, sorry I haven't been commenting, just a busy time now, but I am still reading. Keep digging into these scrolls, it's all getting gooder and gooder.

We read stories as if they are occurring today and biased on life as its exists today. If Grandfather lived today, he would be consider a young man. Very few men at that time lived bast 50. Hard to believe. I am also curious as to what he does with the pelts and you may have the answer. I know many hunters who save the pelts and have slippers and gloves made from them. Maybe that is being done. I suspect more for covers or to lay on.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

What a great story, no one is content to leave things as the are or maintain the status quo, everyone is always looking to better their living conditions and selves. 

I have to agree...there must be another, secret, wayback room with many more scrolls!!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

What a great story, no one is content to leave things as the are or maintain the status quo, everyone is always looking to better their living conditions and selves. 

I have to agree...there must be another, secret, wayback room with many more scrolls!!!

I agreee there has to be more Lucinius said he had three shelves full. I can't believe only these five existed. I'm going to the Roman Library in Rome to check.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I know it is stupid, but compared to the other animals it seems so wrong to eat bear. I mean, if you're going to eat meat in the first place.

Glad Grandfather made the move.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Buz said:

I know it is stupid, but compared to the other animals it seems so wrong to eat bear. I mean, if you're going to eat meat in the first place.

Glad Grandfather made the move.

I have only eaten bear one time. The meat is high in fat. If you are interested in how I cooked it, send me a note. A lot of people who hunt do hunt bear, even today. Except for the animals that had more value for their products, i.e. milk, eggs, fleece, meat was scarce. So a hunting party would augment their protein intake with wild meat. Any animal that didn't produce a product that had value, was eaten. The Romans ate some strange things, bird tongues for example.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

In my world, one does not lay on a bed (unless they are a chicken), I usually lie on a bed.

Haha, again if you want to edited my stories let me know. I don't pay but you will get a some jokes out of it

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..