Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 553 Words
  • 1,829 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 28. Chapter 28

Word got out among the slavers if they had any young boys to stop at my gate.

We bought one from a slaver who stopped. The next one that stopped, we made an offer, he turned us down. He learned what we said was true. The man at the slave market offered him less. He brought the boy back to us, and I paid him what I originally offered. The word travels fast, from that point on, they accepted my offer. We had boys coming to us. They were runaway slaves. That posed a problem for us. They had no papers, and their owners could come after them. Some were in bad physical shape, and they all were starving. I prayed to Apollo and made a burnt offering at our altar in the house. Aumen had the answer.

“Look at these papers for the boys we bought. All we need to do is copy them and put their name on them."

That is what we did. Then I made papers for them as I did for the rest, declaring them freedmen. We were never tested; no one came after them. I now had sixteen boys.

Duccius did visit and went on a hunting trip. While he was gone, his wife, Aleta, stayed with us and his son, Junius. He spent most of his time with Adom at the animal sheds. Duccius returned after two days with his deer. The boys always have a tale to tell. That night Duccius took his family home, the deer had to be salted. Aleta wasn’t too happy about leaving. She was enjoying the men waiting on her. Junius wanted to take home a rabbit, Adom gave him a male.

I enjoyed my brother’s visit, but I would’ve liked him to stay a little longer. Grandfather and Deacon arrived a week after Duccius left. He had retired from the Senate, he left the cook in charge and did give Deacon his freedom. To his surprise, Deacon didn’t leave. He stayed and performed the same service as always. I think he was going to free all of his slaves. He knew when he was gone. I would do that.

The architect had arrived on schedule, and he measured the land behind the courtyard. I told him to extend the rooms and to add rooms the size of those we had on the first level only.

“How close to the edge of the property do you want to go?”

“Go within ten meters of the property line. I may need to expand the Baths as well.”

The resulting drawing showed eleven apartments on the first floor and eighteen single rooms on the top floor. I will convert one of the rooms in front into a storage room. We still had the three double apartments in the front of the house.

The architect brought his men to the site and started to work on the new rooms. I’m not sure how many men he brought. I was glad the wheat would be harvested soon, the architects men were depleting my reserves. Felix had one of the men helping him in the kitchen. Nour said he had to move a few of the male rabbits back into the rabbit shed. I guess Felix was preparing rabbit for the men.

A short chapter.
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

10 hours ago, JCtoGO2 said:

Good chapter. Things are moving along smoothly. I keep waiting for something bad to happen but maybe Apollo will insure nothing bad occurs.

I'm not sure if something bad will happen. But you can never be completely sure

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Kev said:

My boy is getting a reputation and Apollo still pours out his blessings. Duccius seems so much like his father. He annoyed me at how he never took what his wife wanted to do into account. Glad to see Grandfather visiting and giving his slave his freedom. Now he knows that he stayed perhaps he will believe in Lucinius.

I'll give the builders chance to complete and let the lockdown end before booking a visit to see all of the new boys.

Maybe Lucinius will turn his villa into an inn for travelers

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Legally Lucinius is buying the boys but what he's really doing is adopting the boys he's just going about it a different way.

Yes, you are correct. From what I have read, that isn't unusual at the time. Buying adult slaves and giving them their freedom, as a reward, was common,.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Chris L said:

Making those documents was a brilliant idea to ensure the boys safety. In the Philippines they call that hocus-pocus. LOL!!! 

Right. He is protecting his investment

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great way to keep the boys safe plus to help them, great chapter

Yes, but I think the boys never fully accepted their freedom as freemen. Dante did and I think his return convinced the boys free or not, they were in a better place. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. The boys are safe at Lucinus thanks to Apollo 

Yes, and I think the boys actually add to the success of the Villa as they are encouraged to make suggestions

  • Like 3
Link to comment

With Rabbit on the menu, they won't starve. There are so many of them. Rabbits I mean.

I am glad they decided on Boys for as more Men/Brothers. They can learn/grow into their Villa-specific roles.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Buz said:

With Rabbit on the menu, they won't starve. There are so many of them. Rabbits I mean.

I am glad they decided on Boys for as more Men/Brothers. They can learn/grow into their Villa-specific roles.

I would love to be one of the boys/men. Lucinius treated them with respect. Something they never expected. Can you imagine the dismal future these boys/men had when they were part of  the men going to the slave auction. Then they ended up on the Villa. That must have been a happy place. smiles all around. The original boys have already proven themselves and they would want to share that with others who found themselves in the same boat. I say good for Lucinius, he has created an army without knowing it.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..