Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 843 Words
  • 2,150 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 9. Chapter 9

Over the next two weeks, with the additional help and two mules, they cleared all of the rubble around the house and about half of the property. Lucinius judged that at the end of another week, all of the rubble would be gone. The architect showed up with two other men. They looked at where the house stood, took measurements, asked some questions about orientation and if he wanted sleeping quarters on the first floor or second, second was his answer. The architect told Lucinius he would be back in five to six days with the final plan. The architect already had an idea of what the house initially looked like just from what he could see. He did lay out the dimensions of the house by placing markers in the ground. Just looking at the markers, Lucinius already knew that the house would be bigger than his father’s but not as big as either of his grandfathers. Knowing a little about the overall dimensions, Lucinius could plan where he wanted the animal sheds. He took two things into consideration, the proximity to water and the direction of the wind. He remembered where his grandfather had his animal sheds.

The gods must have been smiling on Lucinius. The dried-up grapevines started to grow. Aumen had been watering them for two weeks, and it seems that the roots weren’t dead. Now they needed to repair the stakes holding the vines. That night Lucinius prayed to Apollo, thanking him for blessing him with good friends and family. In the morning, he heard some of the men shouting. When he went to see what it was about, they had captured a wild pig. “I didn’t know there were wild pigs here.”

“This looks more like someone’s pigs got loose. What are you going to do with it?”

“Since we’re able to catch it, I’m going to sacrifice it to Apollo. Last night I prayed to Apollo, thanking him for my good fortune finding men to help me. I think he sent this pig, and if I am right after we sacrifice this one, he’ll send another.”

“If he doesn’t?”

“That would be okay. Apollo has blessed me in many ways. I owe my life to him. My father was ready to kill me, but my mother took me to the Temple and had the priest consecrate me to Apollo. My father was afraid to do anything.”

“Then we’ll sacrifice the pig to Apollo.”

The next day, when the sun was directly overhead, they burnt the pig dedicating it to Apollo on a makeshift altar. Lucinius took the ashes and spread them over the land they had cleared. He saved some for when the house was finished. The rest of the day, they continued to clear the grounds. In the evening, they took the horses and mules to an area where there was a lot of grass for them to eat. They supplemented this with oats and wheat. Almost at the same time as yesterday morning, the men said they caught three pigs, two small and one large. Lucinius looked at Aumen and smiled. Nothing more needed to be said. That night, again, Lucinius prayed to Apollo, thanking him.

The large pig was a female, and evidently, the small ones were hers. We moved them into one of the sheds that were finished. I told the men that when everything was finished, we would roast one.

The architect return with a copy of the house plans. Lucinius and Aumen looked at the drawings. Lucinius made one change, he wanted the Baths to be heated by the kitchen stove, and he wanted it to be horizontal with the walls of the house. He then wanted the Baths as part of the courtyard. He drew a picture that showed a small wall between the Baths and courtyard. The architect thought that was a good idea and changed his drawings. Lucinius signed the drawings stating he approved. The architect told him he would start in three days.

Four weeks later, his grandfathers arrived to check on the progress Lucinius had made. What they found was a surprise to them. The land was cleared, the stones were used to build a wall around the property. “I didn’t think this property was this large.” Gaius agreed with him.

“Lucinius, I didn’t think this property was this large.”

“The architect brought a plan showing the original boundaries. He checked the deed Father gave me. He stated the land that once belonging to the house was all mine.”

The grandfathers just smiled. The rebuilding of the house was well underway. There were a few rooms completed except for the final coating on the walls. “When does the architect think he will be finished with your house?”

“He said the actual building would be completed in three to four weeks. The finishing will take another two weeks. Then another six weeks on the courtyard and Baths.”

“We’ll be back in three months to have a feast to celebrate your new home.”

I finally finished the translation of the first scroll. Four more to go. So far, the property appears to be a large Villa. I'm projecting that someone is going to be upset.
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



52 minutes ago, Miles White said:

Dad, Dad, what you gonna do? LOL, it is all turning around on Dad. Curse your son and he gets blessed. Can't wait to see what all unfolds. I think he will end up having more than his father. Grapes growing? I see a future of wine being made and sold, pigs as well. With all the other things his Grandfathers has promised to give him, and with the help of the friends in the Senate, Wow, who knows how blessed Lucinius will be. Keep up the great work, loving reading all you post. 

Thanks. Lucinius is a very smart young man. Inquisitive, willing to listen and smart. enough to know he doesn't have all of the answers. His grandfathers recognize his intellect. His father's blindness will prevent him from realizing the gem he has in Lucinius

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I will personally see that you get an invitation to the Villa. But you might have to help pick the fruit.

As a kid we always went tatty (potato) picking and fruit picking every year... That was before they brought in workers from over seas.

Mind when I picked the strawberries and raspberries as a young kid, I think it was one for the punnet but two for my mouth. You had better warn Lucinius I could end up eating his profits.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Kev said:

As a kid we always went tatty (potato) picking and fruit picking every year... That was before they brought in workers from over seas.

Mind when I picked the strawberries and raspberries as a young kid, I think it was one for the punnet but two for my mouth. You had better warn Lucinius I could end up eating his profits.

I use to go with my father to pick wild blue berries. I think I ate more than I put in the bucket. We use to go and gather walnuts and butternuts as well. I haven't seen butternuts being sold.  Also sassafras for sassafras tea. There were several elderberry plants close by and I would pick that for mom, elderberry jam or jelly was the result. You are bringing some of my childhood memories to light. To bad there is a little lake between us, I would love to sit and chat with you over a cuppa

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Lucinius is going to be very successful restoring what had to be a once prosperous villa and do very well with, all because he has intuitive common sense!

Now, how far is he from a source of salt water?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Lucinius is going to be very successful restoring what had to be a once prosperous villa and do very well with, all because he has intuitive common sense!

Now, how far is he from a source of salt water?

He's is quite a distance from salt water. His grandfather Villa is south oof Rome, Lucinius's Villa is north of Rome.  The distance is a minimum of two days away from salt water 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Yes,l he will be thinking of a way to take it away from Lucinius. 

Oh man if Appias tries that he will be a pariah .I think the others in the Senate would try to impeach him if they have that procedure back then.If the scrolls record Appias reaction to things then you'll find out cuss words in that language

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, Chris L said:

As a token of celebration, here goes up both fingers to his father! LOL!!! 🖕🖕

You naughty boy, I'll add mine then we'll have four fingers in the air.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Oh man if Appias tries that he will be a pariah .I think the others in the Senate would try to impeach him if they have that procedure back then.If the scrolls record Appias reaction to things then you'll find out cuss words in that language

He may try but I think the grandfathers will intercede.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

You naughty boy, I'll add mine then we'll have four fingers in the air.

I'll add mine so now it's 6 .I think we may have started something here😄

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I'll add mine so now it's 6 .I think we may have started something here😄

And here's mine added too, making it 8 now. Wow Appias is sure gonna get it. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I'll add mine so now it's 6 .I think we may have started something here😄

Let's see how many join us.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Freddie1 said:

And here's mine added too, making it 8 now. Wow Appias is sure gonna get it. 

I'm waiting  for a fist.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Firstly, I didn't realise I had already commented on this story as much as I had so catching up on my comments isn't going to be as long.

I am glad that Lucinius has Apollo on his side as well. Apollo is obviously well pleased.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Buz said:

Firstly, I didn't realise I had already commented on this story as much as I had so catching up on my comments isn't going to be as long.

I am glad that Lucinius has Apollo on his side as well. Apollo is obviously well pleased.

Yes Lucinius has been faithful to Apollo who has rewarded him, here is a question. Which Roman god has the same name in Rome as in Greece.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Yes Lucinius has been faithful to Apollo who has rewarded him, here is a question. Which Roman god has the same name in Rome as in Greece.

Wow. I didn't know that about Apollo. I think I would also choose Apollo because of the things he has domain over.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..