Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 684 Words
  • 1,678 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 35. Chapter 35

Three years have passed since I last saw my father. On one of my trips to Rome, Duccius told me he had died, I cried. I always hoped he would have accepted me before his end. I guess he never could get past his initial hate. My grandfathers died within a year of each other. Mother stayed at the Villa near the ocean, Duccius would probably retire there, one of these days. Aumen said not to be surprised if he asks you to take that Villa for this one. Junius is growing up in his father’s footsteps. The last time they were here, he went hunting with his father. Duccius said he wouldn’t kill a rabbit.

I was happy the gods had blessed me far beyond what I could have ever hoped. My trips to Rome continue, and now I stay at my home, which Grandfather Gaius left to me. When the men went to the city, they stayed there as well. Apollo has blessed the people who helped make my Villa what it is and me. Aeneas confessed that Apollo didn’t send him, but he didn’t want to be part of the group going to the slave auction. I couldn’t blame him, he has been a good friend.

At the midday meal, Aumen mentioned that none of the men ever mention anything about women. I thought about that for a long time. None of the men ever talked about marriage or asked if they were married, could they still live here. I thought about it for a day without coming up with an answer. The following day, at the midday meal, I asked Aumen and Aeneas why the men and they never showed any interest in women.

“I can’t answer for the men. I never missed having a woman around. Before I was captured, I saw men who wouldn’t or couldn’t do what they wanted because of their family. If I were in their position, I would’ve done the same. After I was captured, I thought my life was over until you bought me. For a long while, I thought there was no way I could afford or have the freedom to pursue a woman. Who would want to marry a slave? Now I’m happy, so why change.”

“When I was free, I saw a girl I liked. Her father didn’t like me. My parents weren’t rich. They had a plot of land to raise a few goats and plant some vegetables. My mother did the best she could. I have an older brother, he married a girl, and when she saw our home and what she had to do, she left him. My experience with women wasn’t good. My mother was like a slave in our house. My brother’s wife said she was from a better family and didn’t know how poor we were. The father of the girl I was seeing hired some men and sold me to a slaver. You know the rest.”

I wondered if the other men had similar experiences.

“Why haven’t you married?”

“When I was fourteen, I went to the Temple and prayed to Apollo. My mother told me that when she became pregnant, she prayed to Juno to have a son who was an intellectual. I had the habit of going to the Temple whenever I could. The old priest there took a liking to me. We’d sit, and he’d tell me about the gods. Each god had a story, I’d listen, ask questions. I selected Apollo as my god. Since that time, I believe Apollo has found favor with me. I don’t need a woman. I have Apollo. He has blessed me, and in turn, he has blessed you. Most men marry to create someone to be like them. I have you all to be like me.” I laughed as I said the last part.

We still had slavers stopping at the Villa when they have young children. The men have adopted several, and I hear ‘yes father’ a lot. I wonder when I’ll need to expand the rooms again.

   

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

10 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I'm sorry for Lucinus that he lost his father and grandparents, but he has happiness in his life.

As well as a lot of friends. I believe I have said this before, the average life span was 50, not many men lived beyond that age

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter, I wonder if his father got sent to Hades, twisted and bitter to the end no doubt, sad about his grandfather's but such was life  then. It does seem that Rome is coming to an end

  • Like 5
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I wonder if his father got sent to Hades, twisted and bitter to the end no doubt, sad about his grandfather's but such was life  then. It does seem that Rome is coming to an end

Yes, you are right. Lucinius pleaded wit me to let him alone so he could concentrate on his Villa and men.😉

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A shame that father and son could not reconcile but then, I look at the rewards Lucinius's life brought and I believe this is where he found the contentment he needed!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A sweet chapter, full of contentment even when people have died. Lucinius has lived a full and fruitful life.

So Junius likes to hunt but won't kill rabbits. The best part is that Duccius accepts his son that way.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

A shame that father and son could not reconcile but then, I look at the rewards Lucinius's life brought and I believe this is where he found the contentment he needed!

Yes, he found family in the men and boys that lived on the Villa. He had a father in Gaius who had adopted him as his son. There ae times when you need to. stop looking back and look forward, Lucinius started ton look forward.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, frosenblum said:

A sweet chapter, full of contentment even when people have died. Lucinius has lived a full and fruitful life.

So Junius likes to hunt but won't kill rabbits. The best part is that Duccius accepts his son that way.

Duccius has always been a defender of Lucinius. Even to the point of accepting his philosophy that a freedman will work harder than a slave.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I feel so sorry for Lucinius in regards to his Father. There was always hope, until there wasn't.

I am glad he has Gaius' Villa in Rome. Now they have a base there.

So cute that Junius will not kill rabbits.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Buz said:

I feel so sorry for Lucinius in regards to his Father. There was always hope, until there wasn't.

I am glad he has Gaius' Villa in Rome. Now they have a base there.

So cute that Junius will not kill rabbits.

Have you ever had a strange pet, although rabbits are a strange animal they are a strange pet. No loyalty from them. Of all the animals,. Junius took the the rabbits. I wonder why, maybe they are small and don't seem as dangerous.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It is a shame that Lucinius never discovered peanuts or vetch. The seeds of both of those plants provide good things for humans to eat and, if rotated with the wheat and barley would increase his crop by another third. While the common vetch has developed over the centuries a bed reputation as far as human consumption is concerned, it is an excellent forage crop (for feeding animals) and is commonly used as a soil restoritive. Bees are especially fond of the nectar and it produces a superior honey.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

It is a shame that Lucinius never discovered peanuts or vetch. The seeds of both of those plants provide good things for humans to eat and, if rotated with the wheat and barley would increase his crop by another third. While the common vetch has developed over the centuries a bed reputation as far as human consumption is concerned, it is an excellent forage crop (for feeding animals) and is commonly used as a soil restoritive. Bees are especially fond of the nectar and it produces a superior honey.

Will, where were you when I wrote this story. I could have gotten another scroll out of it

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..