Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 892 Words
  • 1,097 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 23. Chapter 23

Duccius went home upon arriving in the city, he had the deer to prepare. One of his hunting partners told him he could salt the meat and it would keep.

“I’ll see you before I leave.”

We went to the baker who bought my wheat and oats. When he saw us, his first words, “What do you have to sell. It’s too early for wheat and oats.”

Laughing, “I have olive oil that is my third press. Are you interested?”

He went and got some bread, tasted each of the tubs. “Is this all you have?”

“I have more but not this press.”

He went back to his shop, we waited. I sent Aeneas to check the vendors, “Ask them what their price is for the cheapest grade of oil they have." He was on the way back when the baker offered to buy the oil. He quoted a price, Aeneas heard him and smiled. I accepted his offer. The boys helped him to move the tubs to his shop. When they came back they had two empty jars and one empty tub,

“He said he didn’t have enough tubs to hold all of oil. He filled three of his tubs with this tub and gave us the jars.”

“Take the jars back. Tell him the next time he empties a tub, to hold it and we’ll pick it up when we are in the city.”

The baker came out as the boys retuned. I waved as we rode away. I still had olive oil to deliver. Next stop was the Temple. When I entered the Priest came and gave me a hug.

“Sir, it’s good to see you.”

“I have a gift for you. Apollo gave us his blessing and we have a jar of our olive oil for you.” Aeneas gave him the olive oil. He smiled, “Aeneas, we need to buy a pig from the vender outside.”

I gave Aeneas some money, he returned quickly. We sacrificed the pig to Apollo, I said a prayer thanking him for his blessing on our Villa.

We spoke to the Priest as we were leaving, promised to stop again the next time we were in the city. We had one more stop, Gaius’s home. He was surprised to see us. I gave him the jar of olive oil.

“This is from our first press.”

Gaius called his cook, asked for some bread and tasted the oil. His smile said everything, “The gods have truly blessed you. Thank you for this gift.”

As I expected we had to have something to eat with a glass of wine. “Are you going to see your mother?”

“Duccius visited us and went hunting. He had a deer that we brought with us. I suspect he’ll be salting the deer. According to the boy who suggested that he could preserve the meat that way, it takes time. I gave him a jar of olive oil for mother. I need to buy some jars for my second press. I just sold my third press to a baker. I told Duccius I was going to sell my third press for lamps, he said I should sell it to the baker, which I did. I think I could sell grass to that baker.”

“You are getting a reputation. The gods have smiled on you.”

Leaving Gauis, inviting him to the Villa, I wonder if I should stop and see my mother. On the way out of the city, I heard someone calling my name. It was Duccius.

“Why aren’t you salting your deer.”

“I need more salt. I used all the salt we had. Are you going to stop and see Mother?”

“Where’s Father?”

“He isn’t home. Probably at the Senate.”

“I’ll see you at home.”

“I’ll follow you.”

Greeting my mother has always been a pleasure for me. “I think your father is going to retire from the Senate. He has put Duccius’s name forward.”

“I’m, glad for Duccius, are you going to stay here or go to Grandfather’s Villa?”

“Your father hasn’t decided. He’s ill and the physicians don’t know why. He has no aches, eats okay, although he drinks a lot of wine.”

“Maybe he has angered the gods. He needs to go the Temple and make an offering to Mars.” “He has done that.”

“Then maybe he should make an offer to Apollo asking for wisdom.”

His mother smiled. “That isn’t a bad idea, but I’m not sure he’ll accept what Apollo will tell him.”

“You dedicated me too Apollo, he has been good to me and has blessed me in many ways. Father doesn’t like me, I think he’s being punished by Apollo. He needs to make his peace with Apollo.”

“I’ll see what I can do.” I watched Duccius work the salt into the flesh of the deer. “I thought the deer was larger.”

“Father insisted we have some for supper last night. I think he overate.”

“Mother tells me you’ll be taking his place on the Senate, you’ll do well there. When the deer is gone, you must come and go hunting again. We need to leave, we’ll be traveling most of the night.” Saying good bye, we left for home.

Again I thanked Apollo for providing the moon light so we could see our way home.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, he has the baker wrapped around his finger , I wonder what changes his brother could effect in the senate

Ih Duccius discussed the Senate's business with Lucinius he will do well. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

I still love the brothers but reckon their dad needs to make amends with Apollo, that is one dude I would not like to anger. Duccius will be good in the Senate, as Luccinius has rubbed off on him (all that olive oil!), he will be able to influence others as a result. 

Just think all that olive oil... Press after press after press. Sounds more like fun than HARD work. I'm sat here just imagining Luccinius and his boys covered in the oil from all that pressing😲, swear they would have had to remove their tunics to avoid them getting ruined... 😍😇😛

You are a very bad visionary. Actually when the boys worked they didn't wear the good tunics. Hmmmm thinking about that you may not have been far from the truth. I'm sure the boys would shed their 'tunic' rather than get them soiled.    

  • Like 5
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Dad needs to make amends with Apollo before it's to late. The baker loves Lucinus and his produce that he sells him.

Lucinius has then baller as his most loyal customer. Lucinius charges a reasonable fee and p[rovide a good product. He will have the b baker as a loyal customer. I doubt Appias will ever agree to making peace with Apollo

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

The baker must be delighted at the wonderful 3rd press olive oil. Can one imagine the old rancid oil that may have been sold to him compared to this new aromatic fresh oil which Lucinius is offering. It's the old adage, treat others as you would be treated and your life will be bountiful. 

You got that right, It's an old adage but so true. To bad Appias never know this

  • Like 5
Link to comment

It sounds like the Grandfather's will out live Appias.So with that in mind how who would get the properties when the Grandfather's die?You would think Celia would get her Grandfather's estate but I don't know if the law at the time allowed females to inherit that .I'm guessing on that part.So that leaves Appias Grandfather estate Duccius will already have his father's place would he get that too?How would they sort this all out?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

You are a very bad visionary. Actually when the boys worked they didn't wear the good tunics. Hmmmm thinking about that you may not have been far from the truth. I'm sure the boys would shed their 'tunic' rather than get them soiled.    

Shirtless boys covered in olive oil .Forgive me for where my mind went.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, weinerdog said:

It sounds like the Grandfather's will out live Appias.So with that in mind how who would get the properties when the Grandfather's die?You would think Celia would get her Grandfather's estate but I don't know if the law at the time allowed females to inherit that .I'm guessing on that part.So that leaves Appias Grandfather estate Duccius will already have his father's place would he get that too?How would they sort this all out?

The roman late at the time the eldest son inherited the father's estate. The women, couldn't inherit anything. it was a man's world. In the car of grandfathers, Appias would inherit the villa in the south and since Celia's father had bio sons, he could leave not to anyone he wanted anyone who is male. My guess he would leave it to Lucinius.

So ion Appias dies, and he is living in the3 Southern Villa, Duccius would inherit 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
5 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Shirtless boys covered in olive oil .Forgive me for where my mind went.

Yes, I can imagine what you would be thinking . I'm only human.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

the fruit, pardon the pun, of his and the boys labors is now starting to pay off. It sounds as if the father has not muchtime left and is too stubborn to make amends, I wonder if he really is Lucinios's father....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

the fruit, pardon the pun, of his and the boys labors is now starting to pay off. It sounds as if the father has not muchtime left and is too stubborn to make amends, I wonder if he really is Lucinios's father....

I think he is. Celia prayed to Apollo for a son just the opposite of Duccius. I'm sure she didn't dally around. Appias would have killed her if she did. She is too smart.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Getting a good rep for his produce eh. That must really annoy his Father.

The Baker must feel really lucky the day he agreed to buy his first lot of goods from Lucinius. Now he gets first dibs on everything and is doing well from it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Buz said:

Getting a good rep for his produce eh. That must really annoy his Father.

The Baker must feel really lucky the day he agreed to buy his first lot of goods from Lucinius. Now he gets first dibs on everything and is doing well from it.

Lucinius is a just man. The baker accepted his price which was slightly lower than the price the vender was selling. It is Lucib its nature to treat people fairly. The baker accepted his price and so he became not only a business associate but also a friend 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..