Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,085 Words
  • 1,872 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 25. Chapter 25

Life on the Villa seemed to follow the previous years, the animal sheds now represented a significant construction project, or so it seemed. My hunters were bringing back live animals. We now added deer to our Villa. They captured a young deer, Curzio took care of it, feeding it whey from when we made cheese. I wondered what they were going to do with it when it was full grown. Being a male, it will not be complacent about being in one of the animal cages.

“Aumen, have you been to the animal sheds recently?”

“No, I haven’t. Let’s go and check how the boys are doing.”

Walking toward the sheds, “I don’t remember having these many sheds.”

“I think I heard boys talking about making the sheep and goat sheds larger. Maybe that is what we are seeing.” “

There’s Nour, let’s ask him to show us around.”

“Nour, we haven’t been here for a long time and I see you have expanded.”

“Yes, Sir. The sheep shed has been doubled in size, we have a quite a few sheep.” I looked and remembered I started with three sheep.

“Nour, how many sheep do we have?”

“Not counting the ones who will birth in a month, we have one ram and sixteen sheep.”

Aumen started to laugh. “Will have a good amount of wool this year.”

“I wonder if I can pay someone to make cloth out of it for us.”

“Ask your grandfather, the one who gave us the three sheep.”

I looked at Nour, these boys were smart. “What else has caused the expansion of the sheds?”

“The goats are doing well. We have eight that we milk twice a day. One will deliver soon. If it’s male, you can sacrifice it our lord Apollo.”

Aumen looked at me and smiled.

“Didn’t we have rabbits?”

Nour smiled, “Those are Curzio’s pets.”

“There’s Curzio, let’s go and check the rabbit shed.”

“Curzio, I didn’t expect to see this large shed for a few rabbits.”

He started to laugh, “They multiply faster then any other animals. I separate the males. Those are the ones we offer to Apollo, I keep two males. The rest are separated from the group.”

“How many do you have now?”

“I have twenty males, and six are very young.”

“What other animals do we have, besides the pair of geese and guinea fowls?”

“Well, the pair of geese are now eight. We would have more. I’ve taken eggs to Felix. Guinea fowls, we would have more but we been eating them. I have twenty-four in the sheds now.”

Smiling, what else do you have?”

“We have eight pheasants.”

“Where did they come from?”

“Seth brought the eggs back from a hunting trip. I put them with the chickens. When they hatched, a built a separate shed for them.”

“Anything else our hunters brought back?”

“They were trying to catch a boar, so I think we will have one or two soon.” “

Where are you going to put them in with the pigs?”

“Yes, if they are small and momma has milk, hopefully, she will feed them.”

“Let’s see how many pigs we have?”

We walked to the pig shed. “Curzio, this is the largest shed. How many pigs do we have?”

He smiled, “We have thirty pigs, and I think I will have more soon.”

“Lucinius, do you want to see the chicken shed.”

“Yes, and any other sheds we haven’t seen." Walking to the chicken shed, “The pig sheds are larger, but the number of chickens is unbelievable. How many chickens do you have here?”

“The last count, which was two months ago, was eighty. We were not able to get all of the eggs, and those mother hens can be nasty.”

Walking back to the house, “Aumen, we need to reconsider the number of animals we have. Maybe we should take some to market.”

“We can do that, but before we start, let’s see what the other vendors are selling and what they are asking.”

“I wonder if my grandfather would like some meat. The next time I see him, I’ll ask.”

“What about your father?”

“I don’t know, I’ll ask Duccius. He’ll probably want to go hunting.”

“Since we are walking, let’s check the grapevines, we should be getting enough grapes to make wine.”

“Let’s walk through the grove and check on the fruit trees. You know, one tree I don’t have that my grandfather has, is a walnut tree. I like to use the shells for my scrolls. It is better than the back ink.”

“Do you think we could grow a tree from the nut?”

“Probably, it would take years to be mature enough to provide nuts.”

“Maybe you can check at the market. You might see a tree to buy or at least the nuts so you can make your ink.”

“Yes, that’s a good idea. We really haven’t spent much time at the market. Generally, we go and get what we need and then leave. We should look around. It’ll give us some ideas.”

“I think next year we’ll have enough grapes to make wine.”

“It’s too bad your grapes aren’t sweet; there are enough to press.”

“Maybe we should press them. It’ll give us some experience with that small press. I’ll bet Felix will use the juice.”

“Let’s plan on doing that. Ask the boys to pick those grapes when they have the time.”

Waking back to the house, we stopped and looked over the garden area. “Looks like we’ll have a good crop of wheat and oats this year.”

“Whose idea was it to switch fields?”

“I’m not sure. I think it was one of the older boys.”

“Well it was a good idea. We’ll do the same thing next year.”

“Those vegetables are doing well. Why is this area planted like this?”

“This is the seed plot. Some of the vegetables, like cabbage, will sprout back from the root, but some of them need seed. This is what this area is used for. We let the vegetable grow and then go to seed. Watch, and you will start seeing cloth wrapped around the plant to catch the seeds.”

"With all of this, why don’t we have bees to make our honey.”

“You need plants that will attract them. We don’t grow those plants. But I wonder if the boys see any bees in the woods. If you see any of the hunters, ask them, and I will also.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This isn't a Villa, it's a VillaFarm! LOL!!! WOW, all the guys have done well in working together to make their home very prosperous and sufficient. I can foresee the other vendors getting angry with Lucinius and the boys very soon. They keep bringing in higher quality products, representing the accurately, and selling them for reasonable prices instead of misrepresenting and robbing. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Chris L said:

This isn't a Villa, it's a VillaFarm! LOL!!! WOW, all the guys have done well in working together to make their home very prosperous and sufficient. I can foresee the other vendors getting angry with Lucinius and the boys very soon. They keep bringing in higher quality products, representing the accurately, and selling them for reasonable prices instead of misrepresenting and robbing. 

You are right. I'm always amazed when you give someone credit for doing something  to further thee whole, they gain confidence and recognition. To bad that Duccius and the like didn't recognize this.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I really enjoy this story. It's great how you give so many practical details, so we can understand the richness of living in Rome in those days. It's a very grounded story, rather than fanciful.

They sure have a lot of animals. How do they feed them all? Where do they get the food? It seems that all the grain is going to the human's table, the Temple, the market, or Lucinius's mother and grandfathers. I'm curious about the details, the way we know about oil making and cold  wells. And another thing: there's a lot of different types of urine and shit being produced by all those animals; what do they do with it? (Are they selling the manure as is done nowadays?) Could you have Lucinius or the boys elaborate on the animal input/output in future chapters?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, frosenblum said:

I really enjoy this story. It's great how you give so many practical details, so we can understand the richness of living in Rome in those days. It's a very grounded story, rather than fanciful.

They sure have a lot of animals. How do they feed them all? Where do they get the food? It seems that all the grain is going to the human's table, the Temple, the market, or Lucinius's mother and grandfathers. I'm curious about the details, the way we know about oil making and cold  wells. And another thing: there's a lot of different types of urine and shit being produced by all those animals; what do they do with it? (Are they selling the manure as is done nowadays?) Could you have Lucinius or the boys elaborate on the animal input/output in future chapters?

I will ask him but I have a feeling they are fed the the chafes from the wheat and oats, probably some left overs from the kitchen, and with all of that manure, I'm sure it is being plowed back into the soil for the gardens.  But let me check

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Life is going well at the villa for all residents, human and animal

Yes, they seem top be getting settled

  • Like 2
Link to comment

As the villa/farm matures, lets hope the boys continue to like living there, I wonder if expanding the acreage is a possibility

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

I will ask him but I have a feeling they are fed the the chafes from the wheat and oats, probably some left overs from the kitchen, and with all of that manure, I'm sure it is being plowed back into the soil for the gardens.  But let me check

Thanks. That's very kind of you to check with him.🙏

  • Like 4
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

As the villa/farm matures, lets hope the boys continue to like living there, I wonder if expanding the acreage is a possibility

Expanding is alway an option. I think there is unoccupied land surrounding the Villa

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 2/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, frosenblum said:

Thanks. That's very kind of you to check with him.🙏

He said yes nd some scraps left over from dinner

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2/10/2021 at 4:28 PM, chris191070 said:

Life is going well at the villa for all residents, human and animal

Yes, they are quite congenial

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Wow. They are all doing so well. It is amazing what people can do if you give them the freedom and support to do so.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Buz said:

Wow. They are all doing so well. It is amazing what people can do if you give them the freedom and support to do so.

These boys had a dismal future until Lucinius freed them. How would you feel? I would be so grateful to be with Lucinius, I would do anything he asked and I would do it the best way I could. Slavery was an accepted way of life. But the owner determined his/her life. Killing a slave was like killing an animal for food, no punishment. In fact a horse had a better life than a slave of Appias's 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 2/10/2021 at 6:46 PM, drsawzall said:

As the villa/farm matures, lets hope the boys continue to like living there, I wonder if expanding the acreage is a possibility

I was wondering that. If some of that land out there is free, they might look into the ex slaves getting small partials like Lucinius' Dad thought he was getting to begin with. Like that they will stay around a lot longer even if they start looking for wives. At first to get started, they might could work for Lucinius a percentage of the time and get their own property up to par the other percentage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..