Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,226 Words
  • 1,717 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 4. Chapter 4

Arriving at the Villa, they were greeted by Lucius and his wife. The servants immediately attended to the horses and mules as well as carrying the trunks into the Villa. Lucius warmly greeted the family paying particular attention to Lucinius. Appias didn’t like how his father was reacting to the boy. He was sure something was going on.

When refreshments were served, Lucius interrogated Lucinius. He wanted to judge if the reports he received were factual. Appias tried to switch the conversation to discussing Duccius and his latest news from the Army. Lucius became aware that the information concerning Appias’s relation to Lucinius was accurate. He wanted to spend more time with the boy, but that would have to wait.

Rising early, as it was his habit to avoid his father, Lucinius decided to walk around the Villa while it was cool. Stopping at the kitchen, Calliope gave him a piece of bread and cheese for his breakfast. The cool breeze from the sea intrigued Lucinius. Never seeing the sea, he walked toward the sea, which bordered the Villa’s southern part. When he reached the border, he was amazed at how large the sea was. Seeing the water, he went to taste it. It was salty. He thought about that and concluded that salt could be obtained from this water. Then he thought about how he would separate the water from the salt. The answer came to him as he noted the water that was on his hand was drying. He saw a very light crusty residue and tasted it. It was salt. Now he knew that if he could get the water to leave a residue on something, scraping off the residue, he would have salt. He now had a project.

As he walked around the Villa, he noticed the slaves attending to the trees, the sheep and goats. One of the sheep had birthed, Lucinius picked up the lamb and held it, noting how soft the fleece was. Placing it back on the ground, it ran toward its mother. Lucinius spoke to the man who was taking care of the sheep and goats. He had questions concerning the care of these animals. What they ate, how often were they milked, was there a difference in the taste of their cheese? One of the slaves was milking a goat. Lucinius asked to have a taste of the milk. He repeated his request for milk from the sheep. He noted that the milk had a similar smell but a different taste.

Walking through the groves of trees, he recognized the olive trees, the peach trees, and the fig trees. There were other trees he didn’t recognize. He noticed some had a fruit, he picked a fruit from a tree and tasted it. He was surprised at the taste. A slave tending to the olive trees told him that the fruits from those trees weren’t ready. They were unripe. He also knew the peach trees at home wouldn’t be ripe yet.

He went back to the Villa, took his ink and pen, sheets of papyrus, sitting on the ground under a tree, he began to record his morning. He was well into his writing. He didn’t hear his grandfather approaching. “Lucinius, you were up early this morning. Have you had anything to eat or drink.”

“Yes, Grandfather, I like to rise early while there is quiet. It gives me a chance to think.”

“What have you done this morning?” “

I took a walk to the sea, it’s very salty. I think I know how to separate the salt from the water. That’s what I’m writing about now.”

“May I read what you have written?”

“Grandfather, I write my notes in Greek.”

“I can read Greek, I spent a lot of time in Greece on several campaigns.” Lucinius’s heart dropped. He knew his grandfather served in the Army, and now he would side with his father. He handed his scroll to his grandfather and waited for his reaction, expecting it to be like his father. Lucius read the scroll when he gave it back to Lucinius, he smiled. “You’re a smart young man. What else have you learned this morning.”

Lucinius told him about the sheep and goats and how he recognized the taste in their cheese when he tasted their milk. He told him about the different trees he saw. He was told the fruit wasn’t ready to be eaten. His grandfather smiled and patted the boy on the head. He had his answer, and the reports were accurate. Now he had another problem, if the information about the boy is accurate, then the reports about Appias must be accurate also. He would pray to Mars to keep an eye on the boy and help him.

In the afternoon, Lucinius kept thinking about the sea and salt. He decided he was going to pursue his idea. Going to the kitchen, he asked Calliope for a shallow metal pan and a cup.

She smiled as she gave him what he asked for, “Sir, why do you need these?”

“I’m going to try and make salt.”

She was wondering how he was going to make salt. The salt she knew about came from caves close to the ocean. There were no caves in this area. She told Celia what Lucinius asked for and what he was going to do. “Calliope, I trust him, and I’m sure he gave a lot of thought to his project. Give him what he asks for.”

Approaching the sea, Lucinius started to collect wood that had washed ashore. He would build a fire to heat the pan of sea water and see if he would have salt. That was when he realized he didn’t have the means to start the fire. What Lucinius didn’t know, his grandfather assigned one of his slaves to attend Lucinius. While Lucinius was thinking about how he was going to start a fire, a man approached him.

“I have been sent to help you by your grandfather.”

“What is your name?”

“I am called Niciu.”

Lucinius explained to Niciu what he wanted to do, and he needed to start a fire.” Niciu told him to wait. He would bring a hot coal from the kitchen, which he could use to start a fire. While Niciu was gone, Lucinius gathered more wood. He was ready to make enough salt that he could show his grandfather.

It wasn’t long after Niciu returned. They soon had a fire going and were boiling water from the sea. After about two hours, you could see the beginning of salt-forming on the bottom of the pan. Niciu suggested stirring the water to keep the bottom of the pan in contact with the water. So now, Lucinius had not only to keep finding wood but also needed to keep stirring the pan. He was glad Niciu was there to help him. By early evening, that had extracted enough salt to fill a small cup. Being Lucinius, he offered to share the salt with Niciu.

Niciu told him he could not accept the salt, “Give my portion to your grandfather.”

Lucinius knew about slaves not being allowed to own anything. He knew based on his father’s treatment of his slaves. Lucinius also knew that if he had any slaves, he would free them.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Try this thought Appias is jealous of Lucinius intelligence maybe even intimidated.In Appias small mind he's afraid people might think Lucinius is better then him.Lucius seems to have the right attitude you know the saying talent skips a generation.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, weinerdog said:

Try this thought Appias is jealous of Lucinius intelligence maybe even intimidated.In Appias small mind he's afraid people might think Lucinius is better then him.Lucius seems to have the right attitude you know the saying talent skips a generation.

That might work. If Lucinius was like his brother, then Appias would be treating them both the same. I think Appias is the type of men you would meet at a bar, drinking beer and critiquing the games, not focusing on the positive rather  focusing on the negatives. "He was weak and should have won" A loud mouth braggart. He looks upon Lucinius as a weakling, there is now way Appias could sure such a child, I'm a warrior, I'm strong,. I made a name of myself in battle. I think you get the picture 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

This is very entertaining and faithful to history!!!

Thank you, I hope you enjoy the future chapters.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'll order a cup of sea salt, could do with a top up.

Clever little sod, isn't he? That is what worries his dad not that he's weak, but that if he allows it then Lucinius will one day out rank both his own father and older brother. It's fear, I don't think it is hate or anything like that... Indifference possibly but fear of what he will become and what people are saying behind their backs.

Great chapter :) Loving it. Interested in finding out what these scrolls will become.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 4
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Kev said:

I'll order a cup of sea salt, could do with a top up.

Clever little sod, isn't he? That is what worries his dad not that he's weak, but that if he allows it then Lucinius will one day out rank both his own father and older brother. It's fear, I don't think it is hate or anything like that... Indifference possibly but fear of what he will become and what people are saying behind their backs.

Great chapter :) Loving it. Interested in finding out what these scrolls will become.

Some people are afraid of what they don't understand. Appias understands military and that is all.  He is afraid of the attention Lucinius is getting \

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I don't think Appias' hatred is based on any jealousy towards Lucinius, etc. He has had this distaste for his Second Son almost since birth. Jealousy may now be a component of his hatred, but it was not the prime factor in the formulation of said hatred. He really is just a macho asshole brute.

Maybe sayings like 'Information is Power' and 'The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword' had not yet been uttered, etc.

Appias is still a @#$%*!

Thank the Gods (Greek or Roman) that Lucius has a brain in his head.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Buz said:

I don't think Appias' hatred is based on any jealousy towards Lucinius, etc. He has had this distaste for his Second Son almost since birth. Jealousy may now be a component of his hatred, but it was not the prime factor in the formulation of said hatred. He really is just a macho asshole brute.

Maybe sayings like 'Information is Power' and 'The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword' had not yet been uttered, etc.

Appias is still a @#$%*!

Thank the Gods (Greek or Roman) that Lucius has a brain in his head.

Appias dislike of Lucinius is based on what Appias expected, another soldier for the Roman Army. Lucinius was small and not a strong baby, Apollo made sure that Celia's wishes for an intellectual child was granted.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..